Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 23 Mar 2009 (Monday) 19:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Color or B&W? Which do you prefer?

Illumined
"i love you guys"
2,641 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 26, 2009 11:47 |  #31

Cdeming wrote in post #7597746 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

my lord...it is just as awe-inspiring as i had imagined it to be. this is now, truly, a timeless capture.

Ravi J.H. | Make an experience out of it - focus and expose manually.
Sony RX1 | Sony FDA-EVM1K (EVF) | Nikomat 11" cloth-locking cable release | Previous Gear

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 26, 2009 14:40 |  #32

Hi Tommy - no risk of sounding stupid; excellent question.

Here are the PS steps: Open your image, then go to LAYER => DUPLICATE LAYER => IMAGE => ADJUST => EXPOSURE => And then move the Exposure Slider to right to increase exposure => Click OK.

Then go to LAYER => LAYER MASK => HIDE ALL => Press B to get Paintbrush => Select Desired Percentage => ERASE AWAY specific area.

NOW IN ENGLISH: These are the steps along with an explanation. You start with your image but then create a duplicate background layer. You are acting on this. Once you've created this background layer you can do anything you want to it, without danger of changing the top layer.

Here, I estimated that your storefront was about 1 - 1 1/2 stops underexposed (too dark, in shadow) and wanted to boost that up. I knew you had some interesting detail there and revealed it a little by increasing the exposure level. Clicking OK completes this operation after I adjusted the slider.

By going to LAYER MASK you are throwing a mask over the whole background layer (that you adjusted). This "HIDES ALL" of what you did. To reveal the good stuff (your boosted exposure area), you select the paintbrush, set for 100% or less, and then "erase away" that top mask to reveal only what you want of the bottom layer to show through.

tommyqh wrote in post #7602999 (external link)
Stu, at the risk of sounding stupid but I have to ask to learn. what do you mean by adding an exposure adjustment layer?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

tommyqh
367 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 26, 2009 15:38 |  #33

Stu, this is excellent! definitely going into my tutorial notes =). thanks again for your time.

sapearl wrote in post #7604358 (external link)
Hi Tommy - no risk of sounding stupid; excellent question.

Here are the PS steps: Open your image, then go to LAYER => DUPLICATE LAYER => IMAGE => ADJUST => EXPOSURE => And then move the Exposure Slider to right to increase exposure => Click OK.

Then go to LAYER => LAYER MASK => HIDE ALL => Press B to get Paintbrush => Select Desired Percentage => ERASE AWAY specific area.

NOW IN ENGLISH: These are the steps along with an explanation. You start with your image but then create a duplicate background layer. You are acting on this. Once you've created this background layer you can do anything you want to it, without danger of changing the top layer.

Here, I estimated that your storefront was about 1 - 1 1/2 stops underexposed (too dark, in shadow) and wanted to boost that up. I knew you had some interesting detail there and revealed it a little by increasing the exposure level. Clicking OK completes this operation after I adjusted the slider.

By going to LAYER MASK you are throwing a mask over the whole background layer (that you adjusted). This "HIDES ALL" of what you did. To reveal the good stuff (your boosted exposure area), you select the paintbrush, set for 100% or less, and then "erase away" that top mask to reveal only what you want of the bottom layer to show through.

http://www.jatstudios.​com/ (external link)

Cdeming
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,968 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 26, 2009 18:55 |  #34

saiminyaku wrote in post #7603106 (external link)
my lord...it is just as awe-inspiring as i had imagined it to be. this is now, truly, a timeless capture.

Aww, thanks!! :)

;) Chrissy
Gear - 5D, Canon 85mm 1.2L, 50mm 1.2L, 24mm 1.2L, Speedlite 580EXII Website (external link) l Blog  (external link)l Facebook (external link) (friend me) l Fanpage (external link) (like me :))
Currently Reading (again): Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 26, 2009 20:49 |  #35

Glad to provide some notes for you Tommy. Funny thing about all the convolutions in Photoshop.... the more I learn the dumber I get :rolleyes:. It is so complex that I've gotten a little lazy and fall back on a few familiar tools that I know will always get me results. These work well in my wedding work where the extreme values between white bridal gowns and black tuxedos are the norm.

Another nice thing here is the nature of the C&C's threads. I enjoy giving (what I consider to be) constructive criticism because the good folks here really appreciate it. It is also one of not really too many areas of POTN where people have a lot of interactive discussion.

Now this is not criticize the other threads - perish the thought ;). But in a lot of other places folks will post a comment, stand on their soapbox, and not much interaction is really going on. But here, I think we had some good fun, solid helpful interactive conversation, worked with some very nice raw material and came up with a fine looking final product. A tip-o-the-hat to all here :D. -Stu

tommyqh wrote in post #7604803 (external link)
Stu, this is excellent! definitely going into my tutorial notes =). thanks again for your time.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 27, 2009 00:39 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #36

^^ Well stated, Stu. That is one of the reasons that I enjoy the Critique Corner forum.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

tommyqh
367 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 27, 2009 10:54 |  #37

Bill Boehme wrote in post #7607917 (external link)
^^ Well stated, Stu. That is one of the reasons that I enjoy the Critique Corner forum.

i second that and thanks to Stu once again. :)

tommyqh
367 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 27, 2009 10:57 |  #38

sapearl wrote in post #7606719 (external link)
Glad to provide some notes for you Tommy. Funny thing about all the convolutions in Photoshop.... the more I learn the dumber I get :rolleyes:. It is so complex that I've gotten a little lazy and fall back on a few familiar tools that I know will always get me results.

i hear that. they come out with newer and more complex things. not that im complaining (that much...:oops:), but you have to spend more time learning the new tool then utilizing it in your work. that's why i just go with a plugin like onOne and Kubota.

anyways don't want to get off topic and ruin Chrissy's post :)

Cdeming
THREAD ­ STARTER
1,968 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 27, 2009 12:29 |  #39

tommyqh wrote in post #7610101 (external link)
i hear that. they come out with newer and more complex things. not that im complaining (that much...:oops:), but you have to spend more time learning the new tool then utilizing it in your work. that's why i just go with a plugin like onOne and Kubota.

anyways don't want to get off topic and ruin Chrissy's post :)

You have in NO way ruined my post! You've only helped to make it better! :) I'm so thankful that there are so many cool people here who are willing to share their knowledge about photography. I've learned so much from everyone here.

I feel a group hug coming on. ;) :cool:

;) Chrissy
Gear - 5D, Canon 85mm 1.2L, 50mm 1.2L, 24mm 1.2L, Speedlite 580EXII Website (external link) l Blog  (external link)l Facebook (external link) (friend me) l Fanpage (external link) (like me :))
Currently Reading (again): Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

mattduboff
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 27, 2009 19:08 |  #40

if you were to crop the car out, then b&w would look good... makes it look like an older time. If you leave the car in, I'd leave it colour to make it look more modern.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 28, 2009 10:10 |  #41

Tommy, I have a little familiarity with Kubota, but what does onONe give you?

i...... that's why i just go with a plugin like onOne and Kubota....

GEAR LIST

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 28, 2009 15:41 |  #42

..... just go with a plugin like onOne and Kubota.

My Kubota has a PTO, but what kind of attachment do I need to plug it into Photoshop. :lol:

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

tommyqh
367 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 30, 2009 16:29 |  #43

sapearl wrote in post #7616639 (external link)
Tommy, I have a little familiarity with Kubota, but what does onONe give you?

it gives me some of Kubota's preset effects and tons of other by onOne directly. (black & white, fade, coloring filter, skin smoother, contrast boost, color enhance, saturation, de-sat etc...).

i fix the contrast & brightness through lightroom, port over to PS and use the skin smoother or black & white effect.

i haven't had the need to use the other effects yet but once i get some time, i'll play with more of it.

here's some examples

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

tommyqh
367 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 30, 2009 16:32 |  #44

Bill Boehme wrote in post #7618199 (external link)
My Kubota has a PTO, but what kind of attachment do I need to plug it into Photoshop. :lol:

PTO? i don't have the ones from Kubota directly. it came with the onOne Phototools 1.0 package. It's just a exe install file. it will appear as another drop down menu in PS once you install it.

sponsored links

3,390 views & 0 likes for this thread
Color or B&W? Which do you prefer?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.