Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Mar 2009 (Thursday) 11:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just a Rant about Canon Repair Experience

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Mar 26, 2009 11:29 |  #1

Ok, sent my XL H1A in for repair because it was giving 4 alarm beeps when placed into REC mode. The stabilization was vibrating a little bit so to be safe I sent it to Canon's California repair center. It was still under warranty and the experience was pleasant. I sent 2 day air and they sent it back 2 day air - I had my cam back in 6 days! I was so happy. The repair receipt said there was a malformed part which they fixed (no clue if it was replaced or just realighed). I turned it on and guess what, same 4 beeps. Worse, there was something loose inside now! The stablization was worse and to add insult to injury there was a fingerprint on the lens.

Well, I sent off a letter to support and they said send it back - they said they were really sorry and gave me a free UPS shipping code (albeit 5day). So, they got it back and had it for three days and I had no service tracking number. So I wrote them again asking for it. The next day I got the tracking code and entered it into the service tracking web site - it stated that repairs were finished and it was awaiting shipping. It also stated it would be "Unit will be delivered to you within approximately 4 business days". Well, the days starting ticking away, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... I just sent another letter asking what the delay is and will probably not have an answer until tomorrow (it's taking longer and longer to get response from them).

I just wanted to get that off my chest! I've already postponed two projects and cancelled a third. It has almost been a full month since staring this and am thinking of just scrapping all the projects. Video, unlike photography, is not so easy to deal with missing camera's. Renting a XL H1A costs like $200+ a day. I hope this is the last time I ever have to deal with a repair :(

mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,362 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 26, 2009 12:30 |  #2

Its not a video camera but I recently sent in my MkIII for the latest fix (to NJ).

Last Friday (3/20) the web status went from being worked on to "completed, not shipped you'll have it in four days". I checked it several times over the weekend - no change.

The web lied, it actually was shipped on 3/20 and arrived Monday (3/23) morning.

My advice, call, don't email.

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,292 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Mar 26, 2009 12:33 as a reply to  @ mbellot's post |  #3

I just sent in my 40D with 50mm f/1.8 lens. Forgot to fill out the warranty card for the 50mm, so I chose not to spend $50 for a clean and calibration check I didn't think I need (the camera was having the issue.)

Well, I got my camera back (which they actually did fix) but not my lens, which I declined having fixed the first day. This seemed a bit odd to me....I called and they said that it hadn't been shipped yet. Why would they wait this long to ship this lens that wasn't even worked on rather than ship it the day I declined needing service? Why would a fixed item come back two days before an item that nothing was done to was even shipped?

Just a thought from Daniel
Gear
flickr (external link)

website (external link)

MaxxuM
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Mar 26, 2009 15:51 |  #4

mbellot wrote in post #7603378 (external link)
The web lied, it actually was shipped on 3/20 and arrived Monday (3/23) morning.

My advice, call, don't email.

FedEx just dropped off some equipment at my house - no Cam yet. Now going on 6 days :(

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

989 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just a Rant about Canon Repair Experience
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.