Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 27 Mar 2009 (Friday) 08:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What are you all doing to archive your images

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Mar 27, 2009 08:52 |  #1

As my business continues to grow and the more games I shoot my HD space is filling up quickly. Especially since I keep copies of originals and edited versions. I'll take 500 pics each game or so.

I know I can get a few External drives but even those have their moments. I'm thinking NAS for my house.

Any ideas.

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

sponsored links
cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 27, 2009 09:00 |  #2

Drives are so cheap these days that just archive the drive. I would rather spend $75 on a new 500 gig drive, fill it up, and store it than burn 100 DVDs or so.

I run a server with 2 TB of space that works well, although its starting to fill up too.

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

mminnig
329 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 27, 2009 14:35 |  #3

We had a system and are now re-evaluating...
1. We have two internal hard drives (one for 08, one for 09).
2. Every morning each one automatically backs up to an external drive (one for 08, one for 09)
3. Weekly we bring in two external drives from an offsite location and back up to those as well.

Our new fear, thanks to a bad experience with a PC and corrupt files, is that we could theoretically get corrupted files, not notice them for two weeks, and have them spread across all of our drives and erase all of our good files.

www.michaelminnig.com (external link)

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,808 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 27, 2009 14:48 as a reply to  @ mminnig's post |  #4

How long do you need to store images? Do your customers come back after a year, two, three and ask for prints? What type of website do you have? Something like SMugMug? Store a copy there.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback| My Pbase Galleryexternal link | mdsportsphoto.comexternal linkhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=835433

YP5 ­ Toronto
499 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 27, 2009 22:13 |  #5

Burn Raw to DVD.

Process on and store on a raid 1 setup.

Upload jpegs to Flickr.

Canon 7D Gripped |Tokina 11-16 | Sigma 30mm F1.4 |Canon EF 24-70L | |Canon EF 70-200L F2.8IS MKI |Sigma 530DG | Giottos 9360 | Giottos MH-1301 | Giottos MH656 | Spyder2Pro | Kata 3IN1-20 | Kata Bumblebee UL-222

Franko515
"doped up on pills"
2,478 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 28, 2009 00:48 as a reply to  @ YP5 Toronto's post |  #6

I store the entire job (shots and edits, of course I narrow down the shots and get rid of bad shots) on 2 external drives, then store those files on labeled DVDs.

My Laptop just went down (HD) so it's a good thing I still have copies of all my work, except for a personal project I was doing :mad:

I am currently building (well waiting on parts) a PC and I will have 3 internal HDs

1 for OS and apps (250GB)
2 for Photo storage (640GB)
3 for Photo storage back-up (640GB)

Then back-up to 2 external drives (1 to be kept off-site) and finally burn completed job to DVD

I have lost all my files before so Im kinda cautious ;)

Light, composition, shooting technique matter to the end quality most. -Pekka
My Flickr Gallery (external link)
My Gear List

Faolan
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 28, 2009 11:53 |  #7

Consider the Infrant ReadyNAS series, they come highly commended and they come barebones configs meaning you can add compatible HDs to the rig.

My own rig has 4 x 1Tb drives:

1) Primary data
2) Back up data
3) Version control
4) Standby drive.

All these drives are automatically updated whenever I edit, save or dump a load of images on them.

I also back up the main data drive once a week to my server now, though I'm looking at replacing that with a NAS (again).

Some call me the Heilan' Laddie, but others call me Rob.
Flickr (external link) - Lighting set ups using Canon Flash/Elinchrom plus some general work.
Celtic Shadows Design (external link) - Photography and WordPress Development.

mminnig
329 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 28, 2009 22:14 |  #8

Do any of you keep versions that are 1 or more months old? Or, do you simply overwrite old data with new data all whevenver there are changes or updates?

We have a constant fear that something is going to go wrong with a file(s) and we are going to overwrite all of our copies of it in our typical back-up cycle.

www.michaelminnig.com (external link)

macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,493 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 28, 2009 22:21 |  #9

I put them on multiple hard drives once a month.

AzzKicker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Mar 28, 2009 23:27 |  #10

I use smugmug and backups of what I upload are available for that. However I have a lot of other stuff I dont put up there and a lot of old images I like to keep. I guess I could backup to DVD's . For now at least I have a 1tb at work I can copy to as well. I just dont like having images scattered all over the place.

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

Default501x
49 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 29, 2009 19:52 |  #11

terabyte drives are only $100 a pop now, so i would say get 2 and throw them into your computer in RAID 1 or something and you should be set, it will auto backup anything you write to the first drive to the other drive.

i have a single WD 1tb for photos and another one in RAID with it and i have had no problems. its a great way to go.

Flickr (external link)
Canon EOS XTI|Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L|Canon EF 70-200mm F/4L|Canon Speedlite 430 EX

tim
Light Bringer
50,975 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 29, 2009 20:08 |  #12

- A copy on my PC in RAW.
- A copy as a mirror, stored offsite and sync'd weekly.
- When i'm done with an event I archive it to a hard drive which sits in a drawer. Everything that's archived has a DNG copy of the RAW images made and stored offsite, along with PSD files for the album.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

1,337 views & 0 likes for this thread
What are you all doing to archive your images
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.