Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 27 Mar 2009 (Friday) 12:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

close ups of birds

pixelphotographer
27 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 23, 2009 17:16 |  #31

400mm 2.8 IS lens with a 1.4x and 2.0x stacked teleconverters.
To get the most reach.
And of course manual focus.

sponsored links
Gatornole
298 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 27, 2009 15:20 as a reply to  @ pixelphotographer's post |  #32

Hey everyone-----I would like to expand on Winterstar's question a little. I understand that you can get close up on some birds with a particular lens, but my question is--how close are you in feet, yards, etc on some of the shots I've seen on this thread.
I have a 100x400MM and the closest I have ever gotten to say an Osprey is about 10 yards. Most of the time when I shoot at 400MM it still looks far away and when I Post Process I usaually zoom in maybe 50% or more depending on what I want my shot to look like. Can someone help on this--the pics on this thread are fantastic!!----Do you guys zoom in on PP or are you content at the point when you took the shot---Thanks

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 27, 2009 15:32 |  #33

Big birds, Ospreys and Eagles are different. The only way to get close to those is at a rehapb center or zoo. Little birds, you can get to come close with food, seeds, meal worms, fruit, whatever they like. Even when I can get my yard birds close, I still have to crop to make them look bigger. You can't buy a 400mm lens and sit on the porch to shoot birds down by the river. Even with a big 500, ideally, you want small birds within 35 feet.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,352 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 27, 2009 15:41 |  #34

I thought I'd post my backyard studio here...

IMAGE: http://www.imagesinthebackcountry.com/images/web_temp/_MG_7551.jpg

It's not fancy, but it does work. I use my 5D, 300mm & 1.4x II, cropped from horizontal to portrait...

IMAGE: http://www.imagesinthebackcountry.com/images/web_temp/_MG_8364.jpg

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

rgfrison
596 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 27, 2009 18:30 |  #35

This is full crop on a 40d, 100-400L at about 15 ft.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i13.photobucket​.com …1/rgfrison/IMG_​7326fc.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Randy

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 27, 2009 18:36 |  #36

Really nice Randy. Thats about what I was getting with a 400/5.6 and 3 stacked Kenko tubes. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

rgfrison
596 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 27, 2009 18:52 |  #37

Thanks Mitch.:)
I still haven't figuered out tubes, I know they help with min focus distance but do they
also help with dof at larger apertures, That was shot at f8. anything larger and it starts
getting soft spots on a sparrow sized objects. I was lucky enough, the light was available I could get away with it, but that is almost never the case.

Randy

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 27, 2009 18:57 |  #38

Most lenses get aberrations when the aperture goes higher. Just over f/8 seems a little bit much though. Usually it's at f/16 or higher. But tubes won't effect that, or shouldn't. There is no glass in them to cause problems.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

rgfrison
596 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 27, 2009 19:00 |  #39

Sorry I meant larger aperature smaller f number, who came up with that system anyway.lol

Randy

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 27, 2009 19:19 |  #40

It's always been backwards in my mind. Maybe test that lens to find the sweet spot. All lenses have a sweet spot, an aperture where it is sharpest. It's good to know where it is. My 100-400 was at 5.6 and f/8.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

Gatornole
298 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 27, 2009 19:44 |  #41

canonloader wrote in post #7813942 (external link)
Big birds, Ospreys and Eagles are different. The only way to get close to those is at a rehapb center or zoo. Little birds, you can get to come close with food, seeds, meal worms, fruit, whatever they like. Even when I can get my yard birds close, I still have to crop to make them look bigger. You can't buy a 400mm lens and sit on the porch to shoot birds down by the river. Even with a big 500, ideally, you want small birds within 35 feet.

Canonloader---Thanks--I understand what you're saying but I guess I'm the type of guy that likes to find birds in the field--you know-- go hunting for them---it makes my pictures seem more fulfilling if you will. I have bird feeders in my yard and it's to easy to capture the shots by baiting them.
I guess that's why I like the challenge of the Raptors.
Great forum!

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 27, 2009 20:00 |  #42

I shoot Eagles too, in winter. They are too spread out in summer and you need a boat. But if I just went looking for them, I would spend all my time in the looking and none in shooting. And I shoot small birds in the woods. Same thing. I know where they are and I'm too old to be traipsing through the woods looking for them when I know where I can go to find them and not have to get ticks in the process. ;)

Eagles I shoot at 150 feet or less, in the sky, and then I crop till I get a decent size to post here. Sometimes I can get to the base of the tree they are in, sometimes not. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

BradM
Goldmember
1,508 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 27, 2009 20:04 |  #43

Gatornole wrote in post #7813874 (external link)
Hey everyone-----I would like to expand on Winterstar's question a little. I understand that you can get close up on some birds with a particular lens, but my question is--how close are you in feet, yards, etc on some of the shots I've seen on this thread.
I have a 100x400MM and the closest I have ever gotten to say an Osprey is about 10 yards. Most of the time when I shoot at 400MM it still looks far away and when I Post Process I usaually zoom in maybe 50% or more depending on what I want my shot to look like. Can someone help on this--the pics on this thread are fantastic!!----Do you guys zoom in on PP or are you content at the point when you took the shot---Thanks

In the first few shots I posted in this thread I was at or near the min. focus distance on many of the shots, probably the furthest off was the Yellow Headed BB at maybe 35', while I have some closer I like the look on that shot better with the enviornmental elements present. On the others the heron and fish maybe 15', the egret at min focus of the 100-400mm, the tree swallow about 18', Bittern 20', Grebe 15'.

If you are aware of where some subjects are like eagles, osprey etc you can get closer of you follow their habits and get there early enough and just wait for the subject. Use a blind, drop cover or suit if you think you need to but in my experience you don't need to. This was from the car just setting up and waiting after watching habits for a period of time:

500mm full frame, cropped for comp.:

http://i7.photobucket.​com …Bradklr/janjuve​agle-1.jpg (external link)

http://i7.photobucket.​com …dklr/roughlegge​d1213b.jpg (external link)

Used the 100-400mm for this shot, full frame also crop for composition:

http://i7.photobucket.​com …/Bradklr/rainyr​edtail.jpg (external link)

The Dowitchers closeup on pg 1 I was lying on a dock and crawled up to them wearing my motorcycle gear, ballistic nylon pants and nylon/leather jacket in bright yellow, different day, different body/lens combo but the same riding gear with again crawling got me this shot:

http://i7.photobucket.​com …9/Bradklr/dowit​cher21.jpg (external link)

As far as I am concerned it is about being in the right place and awaiting quietly, shooting wildlife is more about time spent than camera gear owned, luck does come into play but time spent in sitting quietly with a short piece of glass out in the field can result in many more shots than a long piece of glass.

Though having the length to back up your play really pays off too, like you never want to show up at a gunfight with a pocket knife. ;)

As to cropping I will rarely loss more than about 30% of the image, usually just to get the composition I want, though occasionally to pull the subject a bit closer.

Shaking like a hypertensive squirrel on meth? Buy IS, cheaper than detox & it works.

www.bradmanchas.zenfol​io.com (external link)
The gear list

johnstoy
Cream of the Crop
6,645 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 27, 2009 20:12 |  #44

I also use extension tubes on my 400mm F/5.6... It's close up focusing range, varies with the size of the tube... Most of my shots are of birds in my large 70 foot maple tree (about 10 to 20 feet away)... It spreads out right in front of my entire house-front, so I shoot from the upstairs deck slider doors...

John Stoy

www.poconophotos.com (external link)
My Gear List
"Are you only Looking or actually Seeing", from Microbiology 101.

Gatornole
298 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 28, 2009 11:52 as a reply to  @ BradM's post |  #45

BradM-----Just GREAT captures!!-Thanks for the info---What software do you use editing these beautiful pictures?
I have been following a pair of nesting Eagles in St. Augustine for 3 years. They come back to the same tree and rebuild their nest--had 2 eaglets this year--they have basically taken flight and I haven't been able to get a good shot of them---However, there must be 10 Blue Heron and White Heron nest all around this Eagles nest so some good shots can be taken of them. There are plenty of Osprey's around a particular section of St. Augustne Beach and I've had some good success getting within 15 feet while they are concentraing on eating their fish. That's the cool thing about hunting these guys--you really have to work haed getting good shots.

sponsored links

6,323 views & 0 likes for this thread
close ups of birds
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.