Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 31 Mar 2009 (Tuesday) 18:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

California Meet Up #7 : Spring '09

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 17, 2009 22:44 |  #136

It looks like I'll be at the Beal Air Show (external link) tomorrow. If you are there and see a guy with a 40D and BigMa on a monopod there is a good chance it is me.

It is a family day with our younger daughter, her husband and our grandson (that's him on the left). My first try shooting at an air show so we will see what I get. I was thinking or using only the 50-500 but might drag the 10-22 along to get the big planes on the ground.

It looks like it will be warm so I may get to break the shorts in a week early!

Gallery (external link)
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
More Wag, Less Bark

sponsored links
Marvinspu36
229 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 17, 2009 23:27 |  #137

ayotnoms wrote in post #7747789 (external link)
Be on the lookout for an POTN old timer
:)
I don't know any of the attendees but I met Allan (Marvinspu36) three years ago at a Cambria POTN meet.

Hey Steve, glad you will be coming. It will be great to see you again!

Allan

Canon 6D & 20D with battery grips, EF-S 18-55mm, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 70-200mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 600EX-RT, 580EX, 420EX's, Epson P-2000, some umbrellas and other stuff...

meh_meli
Goldmember
1,394 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 18, 2009 00:01 |  #138

Tom_D wrote in post #7753602 (external link)
.....It looks like it will be warm so I may get to break the shorts in a week early!

I don't think you will be wearing shorts next weekend.
BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Kevin Goto
I prefer Pachelbels lesser known work, Canon in L and the 99 cent menu club.

shannyD
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: scrotumento CA, miss NC, and lived in th north east for a while, and even in the mid west for a bit.

Apr 18, 2009 10:44 |  #139

man it was nice in the bay area yesterday. ( borrowed some lenses from borrowlenses.com) what a strange building they are in.. but totally rad people.

man im looking forward to next weekend.. it will be so fun to meet some of you< and be able to get some shots in.

shannon

meh_meli
Goldmember
1,394 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 18, 2009 23:32 |  #140

The weather will be fantastic for the next 5 days and then it will get chilly so don't get fooled Shannon. SF is like Sacto in winter when it is cold. If you and hubby need electrical wiring advice for the homestead let me know.

Kevin Goto

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,629 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 18, 2009 23:40 |  #141

This should be fun. Looking forward to it, though I won't be renting any fancy lenses. Mmh, perhaps I should, for the sake of taking snappy photos. :)

Mario "MJ" Gravina
A Grayscale man in a Kodachrome world...
www.mariogravina.com (external link)

meh_meli
Goldmember
1,394 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 18, 2009 23:59 |  #142

You could stop off at Calumet at 9am in SF and return it by ~5pm.

Kevin Goto

PhotoJourno
High Plains Chimper
5,629 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 19, 2009 00:17 |  #143

meh_meli wrote in post #7759092 (external link)
You could stop off at Calumet at 9am in SF and return it by ~5pm.

Seriously thinking about it. Though, once I get a hold of a white lens -after missing my own so very much- I am afraid I will not be able to let go. Oh, the heartache...

;)

Mario "MJ" Gravina
A Grayscale man in a Kodachrome world...
www.mariogravina.com (external link)

meh_meli
Goldmember
1,394 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 19, 2009 00:50 |  #144

Heatache??? That ain't no stinkin' heartache!
I thought I reserved a 70-200 2.8 is and then a few days later was told that it was double booked and the other person reserved it in February. In other words, I lost out.
I might go Friday and pick up a wide angle zoom but it doesn't tickle me that way.
I have one love and she weighs 4lbs.
:-( heartache

Kevin Goto

Killjoy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 19, 2009 08:18 |  #145

meh_meli wrote in post #7759327 (external link)
I have one love and she weighs 4lbs.

Do you have a new baby?

Because if you're talking about the 70-200 2.8 that you were playing with last weekend, it's only 3.5 pounds (with the tripod ring). :lol:

Some people hunt with a gun. I use a Canon.
My Smugmug (external link) page
All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

meh_meli
Goldmember
1,394 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 19, 2009 11:37 |  #146

Umm, how about with a couple of filters, a ounce of ego and a 1.4x? Will that make 4? (help me, I'm trying to save myself here
If anyone who is coming to the photo exhibition has a set of extension rings that Alan might use for some macro shots, can you please bring them?

Kevin Goto

shannyD
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: scrotumento CA, miss NC, and lived in th north east for a while, and even in the mid west for a bit.

Apr 19, 2009 19:43 |  #147

meh_meli wrote in post #7758971 (external link)
The weather will be fantastic for the next 5 days and then it will get chilly so don't get fooled Shannon. SF is like Sacto in winter when it is cold. If you and hubby need electrical wiring advice for the homestead let me know.

electical stuff is going to be a nightmare on this house. the last owner dorked it up royally.

so there are three downstairs overhead lights that dont work. (luckily the hubby is somewhat handy, will be able to fix it)

and i know about the weather here.. i like it better when its cold.. gives me a reason to put on a big hoodie, and haul my bag around :)

although i will say im pissed off at this 85l i rented. its super slow to focus. and missed focus a lot. with USM i was expecting better focus speed. and its funny i used it before from a private person, and his was sharp and fast..this thing... im a little bummed at the waste of money it was to rent.. because 90% of the shots were soft ( stopped down to F5 and smaller) and shutter speeds were all fast.. so im supper annoyed about that. even shots on a tripod were soft. bleh.

im rambling.

meh_meli
Goldmember
1,394 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 19, 2009 19:48 |  #148

If you need answers, then send me a crappy cell phone pic that is blurry and I will be glad to help you. Or just send me a picture that has decent composition and is in focus.
BUT Please!!! don't use a L or I will hide in shame.

Kevin Goto

shannyD
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 19, 2009 23:45 |  #149

lol.. wont use an L.. dont own any myself.. i just rent them..

i think some wire is grounded out or something. and its preventing the switches from turning on. dont know though.. time will see.. you would laugh at the wiring that went on in this house.. inside a closet in the basement.. it looks like wires were mating with eachother.. and producing wires that went no where.

uuggghhhh this is going to be interesting.

shan

meh_meli
Goldmember
1,394 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 20, 2009 01:46 |  #150

Although tomorrow may reach 100 Friday and Saturday it may rain and should be in the very low 60s in SF.

Kevin Goto

sponsored links

21,139 views & 0 likes for this thread
California Meet Up #7 : Spring '09
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.