Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 31 Mar 2009 (Tuesday) 22:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Macbook Pro!!!

merp
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 31, 2009 22:01 |  #1
bannedPermanently

Won't pick up my 40D =( anyone else have this issue? New to the mac! I got it umm hmm three hours ago xD

help?

sponsored links
Thalagyrt
D'OH. I need to wake up some more.
4,816 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 31, 2009 22:06 |  #2

Well, I have a Hackbook Pro, but anyway, OSX doesn't mount cameras as USB mass storage devices for some reason, even though it uses that interface. Throw the card into a card reader and you'll see stuff the way you're used to seeing it. If you have Aperture, Lightroom, EOS Utility, iPhoto, etc installed, they should see the camera and pick it up.

James

merp
THREAD ­ STARTER
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 31, 2009 22:08 as a reply to  @ Thalagyrt's post |  #3
bannedPermanently

Hm I see...that's a little interesting...

Thanks!

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 01, 2009 00:15 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

i use a macbook pro, i import usually with lightroom, used to use aperture, but lightroom has better organization think.

I suck at Photoshop.

sportsshooter50
249 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 01, 2009 00:41 as a reply to  @ Lazuka's post |  #5

I use a MacBook Pro. Also I have Canon and Nikon DSLRs and a Sony P&S. The Nikons and Sonys mount on the Mac deskstop via USB the same as if the cards were in a reader. It seems as though Canon only wants us to use the EOS Utiltity software or other software to download files to our computers. That doesn't bother me because I've gotten into the habit of using a card reader only. I wouldn't want to wear out that small USB connector on the cameras or take a chance on damaging it by accidentally yanking on the USB cable.

Leonard ­ Wong
206 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 01, 2009 00:47 |  #6

Thalagyrt wrote in post #7641299 (external link)
... OSX doesn't mount cameras as USB mass storage devices for some reason, even though it uses that interface. Throw the card into a card reader and you'll see stuff the way you're used to seeing it. If you have Aperture, Lightroom, EOS Utility, iPhoto, etc installed, they should see the camera and pick it up.

The protocol is called Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP). Most photo programs support PTP, so even tho the usb card doesn't mount on the desktop, it can still pull pictures from the camera.

Aperture 2 has some issues with a 40D. I know that tethered shooting does NOT work. I've filed a bug report with Apple but they don't appear to care. Works fine with the 30D and 50D, but fails on the 40D. If you mount via card reader, there are no issues.

40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 30 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 70-200 F4 IS | 2x580EXII | YN CTR-301P | Lowepro Slingshot 200 | Kata R-103 | Manfrotto Monopod 679B
HV20 | WD-H43 | DM-20 | Manfrotto 390RC2
G12 | D10

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 01, 2009 00:49 |  #7

sportsshooter50 wrote in post #7642187 (external link)
I use a MacBook Pro. Also I have Canon and Nikon DSLRs and a Sony P&S. The Nikons and Sonys mount on the Mac deskstop via USB the same as if the cards were in a reader. It seems as though Canon only wants us to use the EOS Utiltity software or other software to download files to our computers. That doesn't bother me because I've gotten into the habit of using a card reader only. I wouldn't want to wear out that small USB connector on the cameras or take a chance on damaging it by accidentally yanking on the USB cable.

It's not that canon wants you to use EOS Utility, rather that adding disk drive access over the camera will corrupt cards faster than the printer style importing, since in the former you have the option of adding files and random stuff, or even deleting pictures, first adds clutter the camera can't read while the second has a chance of leaving files the camera can read but no actual file. Sony has always allowed disk access, and that's how i ended up having to teach my folks how to format in camera for their old point and shoot, since a few cards went under.

Two good options: 1 get a card reader
2, fire up windows on that puppy and hear it roar (yes, just like mac on windows, dogs that roar seem odd at first until you find out it's quite cool when you mess with people)

EDIT: And those "little" usb ports (mini A ports, which are twice the size of micro-usb ports) are stronger than most things in your camera. You're more likely to break a pin in the cf slot than to mess up the usb connector

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

merp
THREAD ­ STARTER
490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 01, 2009 09:18 |  #8
bannedPermanently

Appreciate the help thanks! I noticed programs do see my camera. Although I still need to see if my cs4 reads it...

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,651 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 01, 2009 09:21 |  #9

Lazuka wrote in post #7642071 (external link)
i use a macbook pro, i import usually with lightroom, used to use aperture, but lightroom has better organization think.

I switched to Mac a year ago-- love it....but was using lightroom-- switched to Aperture with Mac. I think I am going to buy lightroom for Mac and use it instead of Aperture-------- I like how much more depth you can get with lightroom vs Aperture.

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 01, 2009 12:30 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

stathunter wrote in post #7643762 (external link)
I switched to Mac a year ago-- love it....but was using lightroom-- switched to Aperture with Mac. I think I am going to buy lightroom for Mac and use it instead of Aperture-------- I like how much more depth you can get with lightroom vs Aperture.

agreed, i liked the highlight controls in aperture though.

I suck at Photoshop.

sponsored links

1,247 views & 0 likes for this thread
Macbook Pro!!!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.