Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 01 Apr 2009 (Wednesday) 11:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Internship, Apprenticeship, Etc

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 05, 2009 23:44 |  #16

Thanks sfaust. There's some real good stuff. I appreciate it!

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 07, 2009 13:59 |  #17

More on the subject from Gentleman Villain:

I can relate what worked for me at the time that I was an assistant...Things may have changed since then...but many things are still the same

When I was in school, there were 100s of students competing for jobs as assistants so the best way to get experience was to work for free. Since there was no money involved...the relationship with photographers was very casual and polite....This allowed me the freedom to make school the top priority and work experience second...so it wasn't a big deal if I couldn't work with a photographer at a particular time...he would understand.

Once I got out of school the whole game changed. I genuinely needed a job to pay bills and wanted to devote my entire time to working in a professional studio. I didn't want to give away my services for free....and I didn't want to have casual relationships with photographers either....so I tried a few approaches and this is what worked best for me

The average assistant pay at the time was $125 to 175 day rate. That would be a lot of money to spend on somebody new that was untested....so photographers would often work with people that they were familiar with....so I had to figure out a way to get my foot in the door.

I started calling around to studios and explaining that I was fresh out of school and looking to assist. I told them that my experience was relatively limited but I was very eager to get working in a professional environment. I would offer to help out on jobs for 10 dollars an hour as a self-employed assistant and there was no minimum hour requirement. THis made it possible for photographers to just hire me fopr 2-3 hours if that's all they needed and not have to worry about paying me for a full day or half day rate. IT also meant less stress for them, since they didn't have to worry about filing a bunch of tax forms when they paid me...They could just cut me a check and that was the end of the story...I took care of all the tax stuff on my own.

This put me in hot water with the other assistants in town that didn't like being under-cut on their day rates. But F them...this is business baby...and business is war

This approach worked out really well for me. Probably2 out of 3 photographers that I approached called me to help on shoots when they needed an extra hand. Most of the time, the work was just a matter of holding a reflector or moving gear...Basically grunt work that anybody could do. I ended up cleaning a few studios like a dang maid...hey that's cool...it got me in the door.

Eventually, people got to know me and I started getting offered full-time jobs. IT took about 2-3 months of schlepping around hodge podge jobs for 10 bucks an hour to finally get a full-time job....but I was able to get a job at one of the best studios in my particular market. So it was definitely worth it.

The money I made was nothing...it was a joke...sometimes after taxes it was just barely enough to cover the mileage on the car. But the whole point to working for a small hourly rate was to get a chance to work for a few hours at a time and tget to know people...but still give the impression that I wanted to be paid and not work for free. This approach seemed to go over very well.

Just a thought. There are all different approaches to getting work. I tried to think of a way that would make my services cost money but at the same time be reasonable enough for a photographer to give me a chance...and it seemed to work well.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 12, 2009 22:17 |  #18

thanks!

20DNewbie
"don't listen to me, I'm an idiot"
2,732 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 14, 2009 11:16 |  #19

Wow, heaps of great info here.

Christian.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

4,915 views & 0 likes for this thread
Internship, Apprenticeship, Etc
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.