Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Apr 2009 (Friday) 09:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rebel T1i or XXD Series?

Iamcuddles
134 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 03, 2009 09:42 |  #1

I'm trying to compare some of these cameras. I will be getting a new camera soon, upgrading from my first DSLR the XTi. I just can't seem to obtain the clarity that I see with other Canon users' images. I have decent glass but I know my Photoshop skills are lacking. What I like about the T1i...it takes video. That is about the only plus I can see from needing to upgrade. I was just checking out specs on the T1i vs 40D vs 50D and they all seemed pretty close. Ive read that the XXD models have bigger bodies, might be good for me. Something about going out of the Rebel series gives me a boner, but I just don't know for sure yet. Any helpful tips?

sponsored links
foxesamu
507 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 03, 2009 09:49 |  #2

Why aren't your images "clear?" Might be good to post a pic. You might also want to consider getting better glass. The "Rebel vs. XXD" arguments are beaten to death and a quick search would tell you what you need to know. I hate to say that but in this case it's inexcusable.

Iamcuddles
THREAD ­ STARTER
134 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 03, 2009 09:53 |  #3

Ah ****, sorry for not searching. Ill go do that now, I did read through a couple of the first pages and saw nothing on it. Here is a picture

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3259/2715370014_bed9b6a491_b.jpg

I might suffer from the "all my pictures suck" bug

Jethro790
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 03, 2009 09:56 as a reply to  @ foxesamu's post |  #4

High ISO and improved autofocus is the only things that will noticeably improve your images by going to an xxd camera. When I shoot below ISO 400 and the focus is nailed I can not tell the difference in image quality between my XTI and my 40D, so don't expect a xxD camera to instantly improve your images.

Side note... there are only two things I can attribute to instantly improving my photos- lighting gear and photoshop skills.

If you must know...

jphelzer
80 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 03, 2009 09:58 |  #5

The front guy looks in focus; looks like more of a depth-of-field issue than a camera issue. Can you post the EXIF (aperature, shutter and ISO) data?

40D gripped
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8
Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS | Canon 75-300 f/4-5.6 III
430EX
Learning and practicing!

Iamcuddles
THREAD ­ STARTER
134 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 03, 2009 10:06 |  #6

I can give you some data when I get home from work today. I found in one thread people are going for the 50D over the T1i. Seems to be a consenus that the video feature is more of a gimmick rather than a useful tool. Something about the focusing on the 50D is a lot better and what not. Still will continue my search on here, and any more thoughts would help. Thanks

jphelzer
80 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 03, 2009 10:20 |  #7

Dude, it sounds to me like you just want a new camera. But it also looks like you have some learning to do on technique. You'll be disappointed with the pictures of the new camera if you don't learn how to use the camera you have.

I was tempted by the 50D too, even though I had just bought my 40D when the 50D was announced. It didn't take me long to figure out the 40D is a much better camera than I was (and am) a photographer. Once I can "outshoot" my 40D, I'll think about upgrading. I doubt that will happen soon, if ever.

40D gripped
430EX
Learning and practicing!

foxesamu
507 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 03, 2009 10:24 |  #8

Looks nice and sharp to me! :) Set your aperture to f11 and see what happens. I'll tell you this, you don't need a new camera, as tempting as it always is.

Iamcuddles
THREAD ­ STARTER
134 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 03, 2009 10:39 |  #9

Can you let me know what kind of things I can improve on? Or point me in the right direction? Here is another one I enjoy:

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3193/2514583153_7bf14e3b4d_b.jpg

Also my friend is talking about going into the business of photography, I think the 50D would help there as well. I also like the idea of having the more weight/larger body.

jphelzer
80 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 03, 2009 11:44 |  #10

That graffiti shot looks great to me. Can you post a link to your Flickr photos? We can get EXIF data from there.

40D gripped
430EX
Learning and practicing!

bsaber
I have no idea what's going on
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 03, 2009 12:34 |  #11

If you were indeed upgrading, get a 40D or 50D. Otherwise, you'll see a bigger improvement by better technique and knowledge right now.

jklewer
Goldmember
1,292 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 03, 2009 13:14 |  #12

THat graffiti shot looks great, nicely done. Where is that at?

Gear

ceegee
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 03, 2009 13:18 |  #13

I have both an XTi and a 40D, and as far as image quality goes, it's hard to tell the difference between the two. I bought the 40D specifically because I'm shooting more sports and action these days and wanted better AF and more fps, which the 40D offers. If you do get one, you'll find that it's an awesome camera that offers more functionalities, but it won't give you "better" photos than the XTi.

For the two photos you posted: the graffiti is a great shot. The shot of the skateboarders would have been much more striking if you'd taken it when the subjects were in the sun, rather than under the shade of the tree. The colours would have been much more vibrant. A question of timing, that's all. Also, if you'd been standing at the curve in the road, near the house, you'd have had a face shot, with them coming towards you, instead of a back shot, and that, too, would have given the picture more impact. So, timing and composition.

I loved my XTi and probably wouldn't have upgraded if it hadn't been for the 40D's better AF system.

Gear: Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon 24-105L f4, Canon 70-300L, Canon 60 macro f/2.8, Speedlite 580 EXII, 2x AB800

Website (external link)

Jannie
Goldmember
4,936 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 03, 2009 13:32 |  #14

It depends upon who's going to buy your photographs. If they are small prints or put up on the web that's one thing, if they are going to be involved with print adds, advertising where there will be a commercial artist using them in photoshop and including them in a composite, you'll want the best camera you can get and the reason much of this is shot with medium format cameras.

To date, one friend/client I've shot for feels the 1DsMKIII is just adequate but the 1DMKIII was not once he had to do any cropping or pixel moving at all in Photoshop, this was for both catalog, posters and web production.

But for things like many portraits and weddings where the outcome is now going more to slide shows in addition to prints, then from what I've seen, cameras like the MKIII and 50D are great. Obviously sports dictates the use of cameras like the MKIII and D3.

But you've got to start somewhere and I get asked to shoot portraits every week by people who just like what they've seen of my work and haven't a clue what my camera will or will not do. I've declined because I don't want to do "work" right now, just shoot people for the love of it and not turn it into a business thing again, at least not yet, I'm retired and love not having a schedule and even more so no having clients LOL.

I've a friend who is just discovering what changing the ISO does, he's been making money from photography for several years and this boggles my mind sometimes but he leaves his Nikon on ISO 200 and gets the shots because he's great with people and composition and has a good eye in general so he's figured out a way to be successful, he has two D300's some really good glass and both strobes and speedlights. So in a way there are no rules if you can get what the client wants.

The world is changing, most of the people who approach me now are not regular types of those you would go looking for as clients. I think a person could do well just shooting really good portrait and product photos for peoples websites. I get those requests a lot, granted they are not used to paying professional prices but it might be a great place for someone to get a business started, even if at first it's just about making enough to get your gear paid for and getting some experience. When you then become in demand - expand, both your horizons and your prices.

Ms.Jannie
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"!
1DMKIII, 85LII, 24-70L, 100-400L

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 03, 2009 14:12 as a reply to  @ Jannie's post |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

if you don't mind, i did some editing, u might not like ;)

but photoshop is an amazing tool.

edit: i think i went a little nuts with the highlights :X

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I suck at Photoshop.

sponsored links

3,094 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rebel T1i or XXD Series?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.