Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Apr 2009 (Saturday) 01:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Extremely Dirty 85mm 1.8 - Need Advice

leroy_sunset
THREAD ­ STARTER
679 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 14, 2009 19:56 |  #16

So I talked to Canon today. $144 with tax and shipping to have it repaired, which apparently is their standard charge for basically anything that might be wrong with it. I pulled the trigger, and they say 7-10 business days before it's done. The rep also said they might replace the front ring that had some sctratches on it, although he couldn't promise anything.

6 month warranty, which is better than any local shop could offer. I'm pleased so far - let's see how it performs when I get it back!

Canon's Jurassic Park - 1Ds, 1D bodies
My traveling buddy: the trusty S95
Newest addition: T2i
Glass - 50mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 STM, "the dirty 85" 1.8, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 430exII, 270ex, and more... including my favorite Lens: the 17-40mm!

sponsored links
GonzoMD
53 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 14, 2009 23:01 |  #17

http://www.lensrentals​.com …0/front-element-scratches (external link)

;)

heycow
771 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 14, 2009 23:05 |  #18

I'm bookmarking this. :D

Hello, my name is BEN

Family Photos (external link) :: My Maya-A-Day (external link) :: One Owen-A-Day (external link)
Canon 40D :: Canon 24-105f/4L IS :: Canon 50f/1.4 :: Sigma 30f/1.4 :: Canon 580EXII w/Big FlipIt! :: Like a dozen different bags...Go Crumpler! :)

leroy_sunset
THREAD ­ STARTER
679 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 23, 2009 01:35 as a reply to  @ heycow's post |  #19

So I got the dirty 85mm back yesterday. The total time it took Canon to return the lens to me after receiving it was 9 business days. Not great, not bad. Somehow they didn't email me a repair quote, so I had to call. That must have slowed down the process by a few days.

Below are some pics. The first is a shot against blue sky with the culprit - you can see 4 distinct blobs in the image (well, at least I can). I confirmed they were not sensor dust by switching lenses and repeating.

The second shot is of the clean lens. I could not replicate the blue sky shot with the clean lens, since it was crappy here in Seattle today. I wish I had taken a photo of the lens before it went in.

The best part - they replaced the front metal ring that has all the writing on it (model and info). It was scratched pretty bad. It actually looked like it might have been dropped. Apparently, they do not normally do cosmetic repairs. I'm glad they made an exception :D

So I basically got an awesome 85mm 1.8 for $144. Not too shabby! I'm totally glad I went with Canon on the repair. I originally told the wife I was going to sell it after it came back from the shop - I think I'll keep the lens I'm now calling "the dirty 85" :cool:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Glass - 50mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 STM, "the dirty 85" 1.8, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 430exII, 270ex, and more... including my favorite Lens: the 17-40mm!

leroy_sunset
THREAD ­ STARTER
679 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 30, 2010 17:15 |  #20

Update. Apparently, Canon didn't get all of that crap out the first time. I sent it back with about 1 month left on my six month warranty. Canon cleaned it, sent it back really fast, all for free of course.

It's maybe my favorite lens on the full-frame.

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 30, 2010 17:23 |  #21

Hmmm.. I am going to say that dust is from a dirty SENSOR, not the lens. Just my opinion though... I have not known for dust in lenses to ever show up in the photos, ever.

Either way, good deal anyway. Glad they took care of the lens for you and cleaned it up!

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

leroy_sunset
THREAD ­ STARTER
679 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 30, 2010 17:27 |  #22

Oh, this was just a major thread resurrection. I was updating anyone who might have cared, that Canon's warranty is awesome.

And no, that was not the sensor. I checked it. It wasn't dust, either. It was huge pieces of what looked like loose-leaf tobacco.

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 30, 2010 19:22 |  #23

I wonder how it even got in there? Anyway, still awesome Canon took care of you the way they did!

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 30, 2010 19:39 |  #24

I had a great experience with them the only time I used them as well. Congrats on the 85.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 30, 2010 22:21 |  #25

Hmmm.. I am going to say that dust is from a dirty SENSOR, not the lens. Just my opinion though... I have not known for dust in lenses to ever show up in the photos, ever.

Agree. That looks like dust on the sensor. I have never dust on a lens look like that.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

dKweddings.net
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 30, 2010 23:07 |  #26

Sensor Dust to me as well. Why don't you try another lens and see if the spots still show up?

Sensor dust is easy to blow out with those cheap $2 hand blowers.

www.dKweddings.net (external link) || www.facebook.com/dKwed​dings (external link) || www.facebook.com/david​ucla (external link)

crcal
808 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jul 01, 2010 01:08 as a reply to  @ dKweddings.net's post |  #27

Just a side comment, but I noticed that 85mm f/1.8's get dust in them. At least the two copies I've had my hands on. I wonder why, because it doesn't zoom.

Calvin
Converted to Sony A7 and love it | Gear & Feedback

SiaoP
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jul 01, 2010 01:36 as a reply to  @ post 7685712 |  #28

It shouldn't affect IQ but everything I sent to canon and back has always ended up spanking new. The glass is spotless.

My Flickr (external link) | Gear List

leroy_sunset
THREAD ­ STARTER
679 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 08, 2010 15:11 |  #29

dKweddings.net wrote in post #10457536 (external link)
Sensor Dust to me as well. Why don't you try another lens and see if the spots still show up?

Sensor dust is easy to blow out with those cheap $2 hand blowers.

Not to be rude, but read the damn thread. It wasn't sensor dust. I can't be any clearer about that. I too know what sensor dust looks like, since I have multiple bodies that require regular sensor cleaning, which to do correctly, requires a loupe. And this wasn't just "dust" in the lens, it was 2mm pieces of what looked like loose-leaf tobacco. It was affecting pictures, I had it cleaned, I had to send it back to get it cleaned again under warranty. Happy ending to a sort-of-boring story. Go Canon.

WayneHawn
260 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 08, 2010 15:26 |  #30

leroy_sunset wrote in post #10500777 (external link)
Not to be rude, but read the damn thread. It wasn't sensor dust. I can't be any clearer about that. I too know what sensor dust looks like, since I have multiple bodies that require regular sensor cleaning, which to do correctly, requires a loupe. And this wasn't just "dust" in the lens, it was 2mm pieces of what looked like loose-leaf tobacco. It was affecting pictures, I had it cleaned, I had to send it back to get it cleaned again under warranty. Happy ending to a sort-of-boring story. Go Canon.

Did you consider sensor dust?

Seriously, sounds like a horrible deal all the way around. I would be willing to take if off your hands for almost what you have into it, you know, just 'cause I am a nice guy. :lol:

Great score! Congrats.

Wayne
5d3; 24-70 2.8 Mkii; 70-200 2.8 IS Mkii

sponsored links

6,629 views & 0 likes for this thread
Extremely Dirty 85mm 1.8 - Need Advice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.