Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Apr 2009 (Tuesday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

180 degrees diagonal fisheye

shutterfiend
Goldmember
2,058 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 07, 2009 10:06 |  #1

What does it really mean?

If this means, that if I were to stand at the door and take a photograph of the room with my camera tilted, I'd be able to see edges of the door frame at two corners of the photograph, that isn't happening. At least not with my Canon 15mm f/2.8 fisheye.

Perhaps the 5D sensor is slightly slightly smaller than 35mm film.

https://photography-on-the.net …p=7812587&postc​ount=91776

sponsored links
JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 07, 2009 10:22 |  #2

there are some fisheyelenses that will perform that way. the 4,5mm of sigma will do that and the sunex 5,6 to, maybe others, I don't know that.

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 07, 2009 11:32 |  #3

It might be 178 degrees. Manufacturers are known to round up on specs.

Also, are you talking the finished image, or viewfinder view? The veiwfinder is not 100% coverage.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,609 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 07, 2009 11:48 |  #4

15mm on a crop is only going to give you a 75 degree FOV across the frame. Going to a FF camera will give more, about 100 degrees, but still far from 180 degrees. A 1mm lens on a full frame approaches 180 but still is not quite there.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 07, 2009 12:03 |  #5

gjl711 wrote in post #7685162 (external link)
15mm on a crop is only going to give you a 75 degree FOV across the frame. Going to a FF camera will give more, about 100 degrees, but still far from 180 degrees. A 1mm lens on a full frame approaches 180 but still is not quite there.

focal mm on a fisheye is different than normal lenses. Canon lists the 15mm fisheye as having a 180 degree FOV.

Taylor

gjl711
56,609 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 07, 2009 12:07 |  #6

tkbslc wrote in post #7685240 (external link)
focal mm on a fisheye is different than normal lenses. Canon lists the 15mm fisheye as having a 180 degree FOV.

Hmm.. interesting.. really?

gjl711
56,609 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 07, 2009 12:09 |  #7

Son of a gun.. it does.. :)
http://www.usa.canon.c​om …id=7321#ModelTe​chSpecsAct (external link)

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,604 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 07, 2009 12:11 |  #8

gjl711 wrote in post #7685259 (external link)
Hmm.. interesting.. really?

Yeah, the Tokina 10-17mm fish is like twice as wide as the 11-16mm as well. The big round fisheye front element throws off normal FL calculations.

Taylor

shutterfiend
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,058 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 07, 2009 13:13 |  #9

tkbslc wrote in post #7685085 (external link)
It might be 178 degrees. Manufacturers are known to round up on specs.

Also, are you talking the finished image, or viewfinder view? The veiwfinder is not 100% coverage.

That's what I think too, more like 170. Advertising fluff. I didn't get to play around with focusing. It may give a wider FOV when the lens is fully retracted.

I'm talking about the image uploaded on my computer. I try getting my numbers in order when I'm playing around. It's only when I'm working that I throw the book out the window :D.

rdenney
Rick "who is not suited for any one title" Denney
2,400 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Apr 07, 2009 15:22 |  #10

shutterfiend wrote in post #7684538 (external link)
What does it really mean?

If this means, that if I were to stand at the door and take a photograph of the room with my camera tilted, I'd be able to see edges of the door frame at two corners of the photograph, that isn't happening. At least not with my Canon 15mm f/2.8 fisheye.

Perhaps the 5D sensor is slightly slightly smaller than 35mm film.

A fisheye lens makes a circular image that (by definition) provides 180 degrees of coverage edge to edge of the circle. Within a small range of tolerance, a fisheye lens will have a focal length of about one third the diameter of the circle at infinity focus. Thus, an 8mm fisheye makes a circle about 24mm in diameter, and a 15mm fisheye makes an circle about 45mm in diameter.

If we include the circle entirely within the frame, the diameter of the circle can be no larger than the narrow dimension of the frame. That's why an 8mm fisheye makes a full circle on a 24x36 frame.

If we include the frame entirely within the circle, the diagonal of the frame can't be any larger than the diameter of the circle, or we'll cut off the corners. The diagonal dimension of a 24x36 frame is 43mm, which fits entirely within the image circle of a 15mm fisheye. Because the corners of the frame very nearly reach the edges of that circle, the 180-degree coverage extends very nearly from corner to corner diagonally across the frame.

We call a fisheye whose image circle fits within the frame a "circular fisheye", and the fisheye whose circle is large enough for the frame to fit within it a "full-frame fisheye", but really they are the same. The "full-frame fisheye" of 15mm focal length would create a 45mm image circle, which would (very nearly) fit within the narrow dimension of a 6x4.5 format camera. So, the same 15mm fisheye is a full-frame fisheye on 24x36, but a circular fisheye on 6x4.5. The diagonal of 6x6 is about 80mm, and thus it takes about a 30mm fisheye to serve as a full-frame fisheye.

But the lenses are designed with a little slop, because the very edges are often degraded in performance. A true 180-degree full-frame fisheye on the 24x36 format would be about 14.5mm focal length. Given how much of that coverage is crammed into the very edges of the circle, that half millimeter becomes significant. Most lenses nominally provide 180-degrees of coverage, but in practice provide a hair less in order to provide good sharpness in the corners.

As I recall, the 5D sensor is only about a tenth of a millimeter smaller in both dimensions than 35mm film's nominal size.

Rick "working with approximations" Denney

The List

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 07, 2009 15:53 |  #11

Yea I was thinking it did too, thats why I remembered buying it! Pretty cool!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

BscPhoto
625 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 07, 2009 16:11 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #12

I've always had a fisheye lens in my line up until recently. The 14mm is actually slightly longer than the 15mm and Canon has made it to control the barrel distortion really well but it still gives you this crazy wide look to your shot.
FOV isn't everything.

•MEGAPIXELS are OVERRATED•

BSCphoto.com (external link)
Photography Blog (external link)

Ook
648 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 07, 2009 16:15 |  #13

rdenney wrote in post #7686411 (external link)
A fisheye lens makes a circular image that (by definition) provides 180 degrees of coverage edge to edge of the circle. Within a small range of tolerance, a fisheye lens will have a focal length of about one third the diameter of the circle at infinity focus. Thus, an 8mm fisheye makes a circle about 24mm in diameter, and a 15mm fisheye makes an circle about 45mm in diameter.

If we include the circle entirely within the frame, the diameter of the circle can be no larger than the narrow dimension of the frame. That's why an 8mm fisheye makes a full circle on a 24x36 frame.

If we include the frame entirely within the circle, the diagonal of the frame can't be any larger than the diameter of the circle, or we'll cut off the corners. The diagonal dimension of a 24x36 frame is 43mm, which fits entirely within the image circle of a 15mm fisheye. Because the corners of the frame very nearly reach the edges of that circle, the 180-degree coverage extends very nearly from corner to corner diagonally across the frame.

We call a fisheye whose image circle fits within the frame a "circular fisheye", and the fisheye whose circle is large enough for the frame to fit within it a "full-frame fisheye", but really they are the same. The "full-frame fisheye" of 15mm focal length would create a 45mm image circle, which would (very nearly) fit within the narrow dimension of a 6x4.5 format camera. So, the same 15mm fisheye is a full-frame fisheye on 24x36, but a circular fisheye on 6x4.5. The diagonal of 6x6 is about 80mm, and thus it takes about a 30mm fisheye to serve as a full-frame fisheye.

But the lenses are designed with a little slop, because the very edges are often degraded in performance. A true 180-degree full-frame fisheye on the 24x36 format would be about 14.5mm focal length. Given how much of that coverage is crammed into the very edges of the circle, that half millimeter becomes significant. Most lenses nominally provide 180-degrees of coverage, but in practice provide a hair less in order to provide good sharpness in the corners.

As I recall, the 5D sensor is only about a tenth of a millimeter smaller in both dimensions than 35mm film's nominal size.

Rick "working with approximations" Denney

Thus concludes the thread!

John-Allan
40D | 11-16mm f/2.8 | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 100mm f/2.8 macro | 430ex | A650IS

shutterfiend
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,058 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 07, 2009 16:16 |  #14

BscPhoto wrote in post #7686708 (external link)
FOV isn't everything.

It is when your single assignment in 3 months was a sweet sixteen party!!!

In other words, I have no place to go except sit at home and measurebate.

... and be glad that I have a day job... still.

rdenney
Rick "who is not suited for any one title" Denney
2,400 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Apr 07, 2009 16:49 |  #15

BscPhoto wrote in post #7686708 (external link)
I've always had a fisheye lens in my line up until recently. The 14mm is actually slightly longer than the 15mm and Canon has made it to control the barrel distortion really well but it still gives you this crazy wide look to your shot.
FOV isn't everything.

The 14 is a rectilinear lens, not a fisheye. It does not provide a 180-degree coverage at the edges of the image circle, nor is it possible for a rectilinear lens to do so.

You just can't really compare the two, because their geometric projection is utterly different. It's (rather literally) like comparing a square to a circle. When is a square bigger than a circle? When the square breaks out of the circle, when the square fully contains the circle, or somewhere in between?

I found that my 16mm fisheye seemed to sweep up about the same amount of scene as my 14mm rectilinear lens, but the central subject is larger and the corners reach further to the sides. That was on the small sensor, which cut off the most compressed part of the fisheye projection. On the full-frame camera, they are just too different to meaningfully compare.

Rick "a long-time user of fisheye lenses for much more than the fisheye effect" Denney

The List

sponsored links

2,616 views & 0 likes for this thread
180 degrees diagonal fisheye
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.