Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 07 Apr 2009 (Tuesday) 17:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Newborn/Maternity advice needed

sma1mom
187 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 07, 2009 17:00 |  #1

I have a maternity/ newborn shoot coming up and I'm struggling with my lighting. Mostly I shoot toddlers and I have full light for them because they are constantly running around. I have 2 ab800s, one soft box large32 x 40, 1 silver umbrella and a strip soft box 10 x36 currently for lighting.
What I want to pull off is the look of the newborn partially lit, where the light falls off really fast and half of the baby's body/ or the back half of the mom is in shadow. It seems that no matter where I position my lights, I always have too much light. I'm just not getting how to do this. Any advice would be appreciated.
Kristin

sponsored links
Lithian
139 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 07, 2009 17:14 |  #2

Have you tried bringing the lights in as close to the subject as is physically possible?

Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 07, 2009 17:18 |  #3

this is perfect example as to why people pack speedlights with them... but obviously, i run into the situation that i have NOT ENOUGH light. lol...

what you can do is place an ND filter in front of your lights. that will definitely help to lower your power down. 2 to 8 stops regarding which filter you use. :D

sma1mom wrote in post #7687006 (external link)
I have a maternity/ newborn shoot coming up and I'm struggling with my lighting. Mostly I shoot toddlers and I have full light for them because they are constantly running around. I have 2 ab800s, one soft box large32 x 40, 1 silver umbrella and a strip soft box 10 x36 currently for lighting.
What I want to pull off is the look of the newborn partially lit, where the light falls off really fast and half of the baby's body/ or the back half of the mom is in shadow. It seems that no matter where I position my lights, I always have too much light. I'm just not getting how to do this. Any advice would be appreciated.
Kristin

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

eror11
314 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 07, 2009 19:30 |  #4

Yeah, you need to bring the light close and make it as concentrated on the parts you want to light as you can, and have the rest dark... That's what you'd get if you took a photo of someone in complete darkness with only 1 work/table lamp pointed into a part of them, so basically you need to replicate it with a bit more finesse of course...

7D with 24-70

Skrim17
The only TPBMer without a title. Enjoying my anonymity.
40,070 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 07, 2009 19:33 |  #5

do you have a snoot?

Crissa
PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY PHOTOS!! (external link)

Rudi
Goldmember
3,744 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Apr 07, 2009 20:49 |  #6

Marloon wrote in post #7687087 (external link)
this is perfect example as to why people pack speedlights with them...

No need to use speedlites for this. The OP just needs to bring the light REAL close and stop the lens down accordingly, then makes sure that the background is not too close. The light fall-off will make sure that the background will turn dark, if not black (if you have a black background, it will make your job easier, and you will be able to do this kind of shot in a smaller space).

The following was made with an Elinchrom RX600 and 53" Octa in a fairly small room. It shows the light fall-of that the OP is talking about, IMO:

IMAGE: http://rudiphoto.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p584873718.jpg

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

kimmortal
74 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 08, 2009 15:47 |  #7

sma1mom wrote in post #7687006 (external link)
Kristin

another option would be to block the light with a flag or a sturdy piece of black foam board to control where you want the light. And definitely pull your subject further away from the background so the fall off works well.

5DmkII, 30D, 50 1.4, 17-40, 70-200 2.8, Tamron 29-75 2.8. :cool:
www.kimwardphotography​.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,437 views & 0 likes for this thread
Newborn/Maternity advice needed
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.