Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Apr 2009 (Wednesday) 17:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sync speed below spec? Canon 1DsMarkII

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 08, 2009 17:52 |  #1

Anyone else notice this?

I was testing my new light meter and calibrating it to the 1DsMarkII. I was shooting a MacBeth chart, and to test the shutter sync speed I decided to put a gray seamless behind it in order to better show the shutter

When I did the high speed sync test, I found that at the 1/250th stated sync speed, I get a vertical band along the bottom of the frame I from the shutter. It isn't real pronounced, Capture One only shows it drops off about 10% or so, but it is there and can be easily seen. When I change to 1/180th, its gone.

Would the shutter drift like this? Drifting slower such that it will effect the sync speed. It seems very reasonable, but then again I don't know how the shutter mechanism is engineered to know for sure.

Just wondering if its time to send in the camera for a cleaning, checkup. Or if its entirely normal, even though its just under what the specs show.

Stephen
Commercial Photography (external link)

sponsored links
cicopo
Goldmember
3,595 posts
Gallery: 242 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 08, 2009 18:19 |  #2

Were you using a Speedlight or studio flash? The manual lists 1/125 sec for non speedlight type strobes.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 08, 2009 18:33 as a reply to  @ cicopo's post |  #3

Also, how were you firing the flash? If using a radio or optical trigger, that can cause a slight delay in firing that means the shutter has just started to close when they fire, at max synch speed.

I know I habitually shoot a little slower than the official synch speed with my 5D, as I can get a black edge sometimes if I use the max synch speed. I can get max synch with the speedlite in the hotshoe, but not studio strobes.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,813 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Apr 08, 2009 18:38 as a reply to  @ sandpiper's post |  #4

Be sure you're syncing with a wire, not a radio. The 1-Series camera specification actually has a fairly healthy safety factor--the actual sync is about 1/320.

The worse case is that you're suffering from shutter bounce, which will show itself in that way. It's a symptom of a failing shutter. Google for Canon shutter bounce for more information.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

sfaust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 08, 2009 22:41 |  #5

Bingo, never even occurred to me about the delay from radio sync or using studio strobes. You're right, I should have dove deeper into the manual since there it is! I was using studio strobes, and pocket wizards.

I also generally shoot slower, typically at 1/160th, just because I like to have that extra margin. But yea, totally spaced on the delay factor.

Thanks.

Stephen

bauerman
discount on value meals
3,457 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 09, 2009 07:43 |  #6

You guys with your 1/250th sync speeds - I much prefer my 1/500th!!

sfaust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 09, 2009 08:31 |  #7

And I much prefer my Rolleiflex at 1/1000 ;)

Stephen

bauerman
discount on value meals
3,457 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 09, 2009 08:32 |  #8

sfaust wrote in post #7697106 (external link)
And I much prefer my Rolleiflex at 1/1000 ;)

Showoff....

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 09, 2009 20:17 |  #9

bauerman wrote in post #7697110 (external link)
Showoff....

I like the 1/2500s of my 1Dino ;)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sfaust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 09, 2009 20:30 |  #10

What is a 1Dino??

Stephen

bauerman
discount on value meals
3,457 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 09, 2009 21:56 |  #11

1D sync speed is 1/500 as far as I know.....

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 11, 2009 13:44 |  #12

1 Dino = 1D Mk1 = 1D "classic" = 1D.

Sync speed with a canon ETTL flash attached (say a 550EX) is 1/500s. But as long as the camera doesn't know there's a flash, it'll happily sync at all speeds. (tested it with a 580EX with all contacts except the center taped, and got reliable flash exposure up to 1/2500s).

This is because the shutter is never faster than about 1/250s (exposing the whole sensor), and all faster shutterspeeds are created by switching the CCD on and off.

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sfaust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 11, 2009 16:03 |  #13

Gotcha! I had one of those beasts at one time.

I remember hearing about that trick. Only works with the hot shoe flashes, yes? (Ie, not with my studio strobes)

Stephen

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 12, 2009 10:36 |  #14

I think that depends on the speed and flash duration of the studio flash... Would be interesting to see what a 1D could do with the new Pocketwizzards. (Since they get a 1DMk3 to sync at 1/500s) ;)

I'd guess you could sync up to 1/16000s then :shock:

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

sfaust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 12, 2009 12:48 |  #15

The next person that shows up a my workshop with a 1D will get some extra attention from me, so we can test it out.

Stephen

sponsored links

2,197 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sync speed below spec? Canon 1DsMarkII
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.