Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Apr 2009 (Thursday) 00:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS 5D Mark II Noise Reduction in RAW

fzihlmann
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 09, 2009 00:20 |  #1

I got my new EOS 5D Mark II and shoot in RAW. I would like to know if the C.Fn II-1 and C.Fn II-2 (Long exposure and high ISO speed) noise reduction function settings apply to RAW.

sponsored links
Panopeeper
774 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 09, 2009 09:34 |  #2

Long exposure yes; but test if you like that, for it is somewhat brute, it can cause "black holes" at hot pixels.

High ISO: not. However, if you process the image in DPP, the setting will be automatically applied, though you can change it.

Gabor

fzihlmann
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 09, 2009 16:05 as a reply to  @ Panopeeper's post |  #3

Thank you Gabor for the crisp answer.

I use Adobe Lightroom 2.3 and wonder if I can achieve High ISO Speed noise reduction similar to DPP?

Panopeeper
774 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 09, 2009 17:51 |  #4

fzihlmann wrote in post #7699778 (external link)
I use Adobe Lightroom 2.3 and wonder if I can achieve High ISO Speed noise reduction similar to DPP?

I would not venture to judge which one is better, but I would not be surprized if DPP turned out to be the better one. However, there is no need to perform the complete noise reduction at that level. If the image is noisy, then *some* NR should be done in the raw conversion phase. This is unavoidable with ACR; even if you request zero NR, ACR will do some NR.

On the other hand, I see a problem in your question: "high ISO noise reduction". High ISO is not responsible for the noise. I suggest you to read http://www.cryptobola.​com/PhotoBola/SourceOf​Noise.htm (external link)

Warning: this is a very detailed, pixel peeping treatment of the subject; some readers found it ununderstandably detailed.

If we are at it: 5D2 and ISO. Following is strictly for 5D2 raw shooters:

1. ISO 160, 320, 640 and 1250 are identical to 200, 400, 800 and 1600, respectively, regarding noise. However, these can cause overexposure compared to the full-stop ISO, because the ISO gain is identical, but the exposure (if metered) is 1/3 stop higher with the full stop -1/3 EV ISO steps. So, if used at all, then with -1/3 EV bias - but then you are at the next higher ISO, so why using this one?

2. ISO 125, 250 and 500 are worse than the next higher full stop ISO. This is because they are created by multiplying ISO 100, 200 and 400, respectively, by 1.26; the noise too gets multiplied by 1.26, but when going a full stop higher, the noise increases less than by a factor of 1.26.

3. ISO 1000 is a special case: its noise is 1.29 higher than that of ISO 800, but the noise of ISO 1600 is 1.41 times higher than that of ISO 800 (the analog gain loses the "teeth" at this level).

4. ISO 125, 250, 500 and 1000 cause a reduction of the DR by 1/3 stop.

5. All ISO steps over 1600 are useless regarding noise. They simply reduce the DR by 1/3 EV respectively 1 EV. The only reason to use those is to have brighter preview.

Gabor

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 09, 2009 17:56 |  #5

Panopeeper wrote in post #7697445 (external link)
Long exposure yes; but test if you like that, for it is somewhat brute, it can cause "black holes" at hot pixels.

High ISO: not. However, if you process the image in DPP, the setting will be automatically applied, though you can change it.

Dunno about the second there, mkiii shows a mild difference between it being on and off. On removes chroma, leaves minor watermark effect at 6400, just removes a bit of chroma at 3200. If LR needed NR of 15 with in camera NR off, same shot is generally an 11-12. Nothing major, but i can see a difference there. Either LR detects the flag or the raw is changed.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

Panopeeper
774 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 09, 2009 18:02 |  #6

basroil wrote in post #7700264 (external link)
Dunno about the second there, mkiii shows a mild difference between it being on and off. On removes chroma, leaves minor watermark effect at 6400, just removes a bit of chroma at 3200. If LR needed NR of 15 with in camera NR off, same shot is generally an 11-12. Nothing major, but i can see a difference there. Either LR detects the flag or the raw is changed.

This is interesting, for LR (which shares the raw processing with ACR) does not honor in-camera settings except WB and HTP (the latter only halfway).

Do you happen to have such a pair of shots (raw files) demonstrating this? I can verify if the raw is affected, though that would be a "first" of Canon.

Gabor

fzihlmann
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 10, 2009 00:19 as a reply to  @ Panopeeper's post |  #7

Thanks again for great actionable response. The reason for my noise reduction question is because I will be photographing in the Upper Antelope Valley next week. It’s my first visit to this location and I understand that the slot canyons are fairly dark. My objective will be to balance between HIGH ISO speed and Long Exposure times.

Panopeeper
774 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 10, 2009 00:55 |  #8

fzihlmann wrote in post #7702197 (external link)
The reason for my noise reduction question is because I will be photographing in the Upper Antelope Valley next week. It’s my first visit to this location and I understand that the slot canyons are fairly dark. My objective will be to balance between HIGH ISO speed and Long Exposure times.

Well, this is a whole new twist and it has nothing to do with the topic you started. I suggest you to read the discussion http://luminous-landscape.com …owtopic=33049&h​l=antelope (external link)

YOU WILL NOT MAKE ANY LONG EXPOSURE THERE.

Gabor

sponsored links

6,808 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS 5D Mark II Noise Reduction in RAW
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.