Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Apr 2009 (Thursday) 14:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Domke F-5XC review

EcoRick
Goldmember
1,863 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 09, 2009 08:19 as a reply to  @ post 7886780 |  #31

Thanks for the review. Regarding the velco, I agree that they make some noice, but they can be a camera saver. I have the F-5XB and I can't tell you how many times I didn't zipper it and the extra strength in the velcro was great for additional support. Read a few of the "I can't believe what happend when the zipper broke on my bag" threads and you'll be glad you have the velco.

Gear: Canon 1Ds MkII, 35L, 85L, 135L, 24-105L

sponsored links
swolfcg
145 posts
Joined May 2009

May 17, 2009 14:59 |  #32

Thank you for your review. I pulled the trigger on the F-3X, then changed it to the F-5XC after reading your review. This is all after returning the Crumpler 7mill DH and receiving a the 6 mill DH. I really like the 6 mill DH to hold all my gear, which includes 40D, 70-200, 24-85, 19-35, 430ex II & tons of extras. The only problem I have with it is a little bulky w/ all the built-in padding. I really don't see myself using this cute bag as often as I would like. I think I might keep it when I want to take all my gear and have the F-5XC for easy travel & walking.

My only question is the bottom part of the bag. I haven't seen any really good pics of the bottom of the bag, looking down from the top. If I put my flash (in case) on the bottom, does the vertically held lens topside sit on it , or is there a shelf that divides the two? I am worried that every time I take any item out it will just fall like a Tetris game. It's a good game, but I don't want to play it w/ my expensive gear.

Thx.
Steph

Canon 5D/Elan7 | 24-70 2.8L II | 28 f/1.8 | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/4 |
Zeiss 35-70 f/3.4 | 2.8/21 ZE| 2/35 ZE | Rokkor-X 58 f/1.2 | 580EX II |
Old Gear: Canon 40D, 430EXII, 17-40L, 24-85, Tokina 19-35, 17 f/3.5, Tamron 17-50 & 28-200,

dkspook
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,058 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 17, 2009 16:06 |  #33

swolfcg wrote in post #7938392 (external link)
Thank you for your review. I pulled the trigger on the F-3X, then changed it to the F-5XC after reading your review. This is all after returning the Crumpler 7mill DH and receiving a the 6 mill DH. I really like the 6 mill DH to hold all my gear, which includes 40D, 70-200, 24-85, 19-35, 430ex II & tons of extras. The only problem I have with it is a little bulky w/ all the built-in padding. I really don't see myself using this cute bag as often as I would like. I think I might keep it when I want to take all my gear and have the F-5XC for easy travel & walking.

My only question is the bottom part of the bag. I haven't seen any really good pics of the bottom of the bag, looking down from the top. If I put my flash (in case) on the bottom, does the vertically held lens topside sit on it , or is there a shelf that divides the two? I am worried that every time I take any item out it will just fall like a Tetris game. It's a good game, but I don't want to play it w/ my expensive gear.

Thx.
Steph

There are 2 padded dividers that come with the bag, both articulated so you can fold them in thirds. I use one as "floor", for my camera w. lens to sit on, and the other folded like an upside-down U, creating two seperate, smaller compartments at the bottom. Perfect for my camera + 3 primes kit. It will all make sense when you get the bag :)

I love mine so much that I just got an F-1X as a carry-all bag. The two really supplement each other well... The F-5XC for camera and lenses and the F-1X for flashes, triggers, gels, cleaning kit etc.

Glad you liked the review, be sure to tell how the F-5XC works out for you :)

Flickr (external link) | Stuff

swolfcg
145 posts
Joined May 2009

May 17, 2009 17:18 |  #34

No problem, I will. Thanks for your response.

Canon 5D/Elan7 | 24-70 2.8L II | 28 f/1.8 | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/4 |
Zeiss 35-70 f/3.4 | 2.8/21 ZE| 2/35 ZE | Rokkor-X 58 f/1.2 | 580EX II |
Old Gear: Canon 40D, 430EXII, 17-40L, 24-85, Tokina 19-35, 17 f/3.5, Tamron 17-50 & 28-200,

RickRickRick
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 24, 2009 18:53 |  #35

Can anyone with this bag please post pictures of a side view when it's loaded and a picture of themselves carrying it on their backs? Trying to figure out if it looks good or not.

jsvfoto
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 29, 2009 13:57 as a reply to  @ post 7710500 |  #36

Many thanks for this review. I've been looking for a "street" bag that doesn't look like a camera bag. I'll be picking this one up real soon.

Kind regards,
JSV

The road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began...

Romenyc
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jul 02, 2009 11:12 |  #37

Great review. I decided to change my dividers to how you have them, which solved my lens shade issue addressed in another post of mine. I think this bag is perfect for street shooting, or traveling light to places that are not conducive to larger bags or do not allow them (museums, etc.). Plus, as others have mentioned, it looks like a messenger bag, so it's fairly low profile.

Gear

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 05, 2009 19:11 |  #38

Great review, been considering this bag recently.

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

romeo26
159 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 10, 2009 19:08 |  #39

what do you guys think...
will the 7d w/ 24-105 f4L attached, a tokana 11-16f2.8 or 16-35 f2.8L, and a speedlight 430 ex2 fit in the bag for day shooting?

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,255 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 10, 2009 19:15 |  #40

Very nice review... thanks for posting :)

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

jsvfoto
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 01, 2009 01:12 as a reply to  @ Jim G's post |  #41

I bought this bag last summer, and what a blast it's been.

It is almost the perfect street photography bag.

There are two versions, the waxed and the un-waxed. In Canada the waxed was running at $189 at Henry's. I bought the non-waxed version from Adorama for $89.

Pros:
Compact
Rugged canvas material
Great strap (gets more comfortable with USPS shoulder pad)
Can accommodate more than it looks like it could
Awesome velcro flap...it's prevented stuff from falling out when I forgot to close the bottom zipper
Easy to access top zipper to get at your gear
It doesn't scream "Photographer"

Cons:
Figuring out the best combination of the inserts is a pain
Very little padding

I ended up buying other padded inserts off Ebay, and added them throughout the bag. I'm currently looking into actually tearing the top of the inside and inserting a sheet of foam to add extra padding, while leaving the fabric alone so I can still use velcro inserts inside the bag.

If it were better padded this would be the perfect bag.

I can squeeze my FE with a 20mm f4, my D40x with a 50mm f1.8, a YN-460 flash, one of my 85mm f1.4 lenses, a remote control, some film, and a body cap/rear lens cap plus a few other small accessories. What more could you want to carry?

Any larger and it would feel like a notebook bag, any smaller and it would seem like a gas mask bag (a la Indiana Jones). It's just the right size for my needs.

The road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began...

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 04, 2010 22:42 |  #42

can your 40d fit with a grip?

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

alemmo
68 posts
Joined May 2009

May 12, 2010 09:14 |  #43

anyone know if you can fit an Ipad into this bag somehow? sorry to revive such an old thread lol

www.LemmoPhoto.com (external link)

treck_dialect
689 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 21, 2010 14:28 |  #44

will this fit a gripped 7d with a 24-105 and the hood in place mounted on it,a 10-22 and a 580exII?

well hello
http://aleccorpuz.word​press.com/ (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 21, 2010 22:22 |  #45

Not a gripped body with lens attached. Of the Domke bags I'm familiar with, the F3x is the smallest that'll take a gripped body while the lens is attached.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links

49,473 views & 0 likes for this thread
Domke F-5XC review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.