Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Apr 2009 (Wednesday) 21:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Disney Lenses - I know I know

Maddog12
581 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: Not the end of the world but I can see it from here

Apr 15, 2009 21:34 |  #1

I have read POTN high and low and I still find myself undecided. The question is if I leave my 70-200 L f/4 with a 1.4x extender at home will I get to Disney (Orlando) and wish I had it? I have a feeling it will be in the room safe most of the time.

My gear that is packed and ready to go:
- 40d
- 28-75 Tammmy
- Nifty fifty
- Super sigma flash
- memory cards
- batteries & chargers
- table tripod and a regular tripod
- remote switch
- my wife's Power Shot SD790

I've never been to Disney and I will be mainly taking pictures of my kids doing stuff and interacting with characters. I will probably also take photos of the scenery, parades, and fireworks. We are leaving in 36 hours.

Any experience with a 70-200L at Disney?

Thanks in advance!

40d |Xti w/Grip | Canon 70-200 f/4 L IS | Canon EF 35-80mm | Canon EFS 18-55 (Kit Lens) | Nifty Fifty |Tamron 28-75 | Alien Bee 400 | Super Sigma Flash | Light tent, backdrops, tripods, reflectors, meter, etc.

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 15, 2009 21:36 |  #2

IMO, having shot my 70-200 at Disneyland a couple of times, you probably won't need the TC but you'll love the 70-200 length.

If anything, you may find yourself wishing not upon a star, but that you had something wider than 28mm x 1.6X. That's about the same FOV as 50mm on FF...

At any rate, have a nice trip! :)

ETA: How wide does the P&S go?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

bsheasby
174 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 15, 2009 21:38 |  #3

Personally, I think I would want the extra reach that your 70-200 will give you for the shows, "street photography" (people watching), etc. but that's just me...

Canon 5D Mark II | 40D | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | 580EXII | 430EXII | Bogen/Manfrotto 190XPROB w/804RC2 | LowePro Bags | Visit My Blog (external link)

Familiaphoto
Goldmember
3,948 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 15, 2009 21:46 |  #4

I'm at Disney once a year and find wider and shorter more useful than long. My most used lens on my crop body was my 17-55 until I sold it. This year I know it will be my 24-105 will be my workhorse. The longer lenses come in handy on the Magic Kingdom safari and some of the shows. However, you'll honestly find it short at the shows.

Paul
Blog (external link) | Gear (external link) | Gallery (external link)
Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...

tstowe
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 15, 2009 21:59 |  #5

I took my six year old this past summer. I left my 70-200 and everything else at home. I took my daughter's pink point and shoot.

Think about why you are going. Want great pictures or do you want to have a good time with the kids?

www.ToddStowe.com (external link)
www.TheTalon.SmugMug.c​om (external link)

mnaz
186 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 15, 2009 22:10 as a reply to  @ tstowe's post |  #6

I just got back and my 17-55 was used 90% of the time. I did use my 85 1.8 for a couple of the shows though. It was bad enough lugging the 17-55 and the xti w/grip around I don't know if I would want anything bigger.

Matt
Nasman Photography (external link)

jsmonet
147 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 15, 2009 22:27 |  #7

going somewhere far away that's fun, and you'll only be in for one day? grab the smallest camera you have and bring that.

do you have an annual pass and the ability to just bomb on down to disneyland/world whenever you want? that's when you bundle the crazy gear in a bag and spend one long day shooting everything.

as was said, don't sacrifice fun for good pictures of less fun :) If you want slr pix from it, grab your tamron, a bunch of memory cards just because they're small and stash easily, and something waterproof to put the cam and cards in--use a ziplock/plastic sandwich bag for the cards.

some UWA shots would look killer, but why go nuts? one lens, no fuss, and go as portable as you can.

i have a camera. it takes nice pictures.

tstowe
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 15, 2009 22:33 |  #8

jsmonet wrote in post #7739472 (external link)
one lens, no fuss, and go as portable as you can.

amen

www.ToddStowe.com (external link)
www.TheTalon.SmugMug.c​om (external link)

Maddog12
THREAD ­ STARTER
581 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 15, 2009 22:49 as a reply to  @ tstowe's post |  #9

We will be there for an entire week.

I will have two kids (2 and 5 years old). We will be lugging other stuff around anyway and I think the last thing I need around my neck is a 70-200L.

The Tammy has been good to me on almost all occasions. I used it soley at Kings Island last year and there were only a few occasions I was like, "crap, if I only had the longer reach."

40d |Xti w/Grip | Canon 70-200 f/4 L IS | Canon EF 35-80mm | Canon EFS 18-55 (Kit Lens) | Nifty Fifty |Tamron 28-75 | Alien Bee 400 | Super Sigma Flash | Light tent, backdrops, tripods, reflectors, meter, etc.

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,396 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 15, 2009 22:55 |  #10

Haven't been since I went digital, but instead of taking my good gear I bought some Fuji disposable cameras. I didn't want to lug around gear and worry about theft or damage. I wanted to be active and have fun and I still got some great snapshots. No, they weren't artistic or technically flawless, but they preserved the memories just fine and were still of good quality. The disposable cameras fit perfectly in a fanny-pack... the ONLY time I have ever worn one of those, btw. If going today, I'd substitute my P&S for the disposables, but same concept.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

CastMemberJames
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 15, 2009 22:57 |  #11

As someone who works at Walt Disney World I see people with all types of lens on their dslrs. It depends on your style of shooting as to what lenses you will want to bring. I prefer doing detail shots so I use my 70-200 in the parks, but alot of people prefer wide to get everything in. All the parks has lockers so if you decide you aren't using one or it's getting dark you can always stash it there. I'm a big fan of traveling with everything and then you have it if you need it and don't kick yourself for not having it. As for the extender you will enjoy the extra reach in Animal Kingdom where some of the animals can be farther away other than that it will be too long for most stuff.

Canon EOS 7D | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi w/BG-E3 grip| Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS | Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon 580EXII

ironchef31
623 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 15, 2009 23:00 |  #12

I would suggest your 18-55 and nifty fifty for night time. The only ride you might use the long lens would be the safari at Animal Kingdom. I would also suggest using the on-site photographers and buying the photos. You can get them to take as many photos as you want and order all the photos on CD for a flat rate. Have a look:
http://www.disneyphoto​pass.com/ (external link)

I took my family with 2 kids to WDW last December. I packed my camera gear and decided to leave it all at home the last minute. There was too much essential gear I had to haul never mind a camera bag. Next time we go, I'm just carrying a G10.

Ken
30D, 18-55mm, nifty 50, 17-55 F2.8 IS, 70-200 F2.8 IS

I tried to bounce my flash off the ceiling once. Left a mark on the ceiling and broke my flash.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 15, 2009 23:02 |  #13

Maddog12 wrote in post #7739587 (external link)
We will be there for an entire week.

I will have two kids (2 and 5 years old). We will be lugging other stuff around anyway and I think the last thing I need around my neck is a 70-200L.

The Tammy has been good to me on almost all occasions. I used it soley at Kings Island last year and there were only a few occasions I was like, "crap, if I only had the longer reach."

I would just offer this thought:

Since you're staying for a relatively extended period of time, you might find yourself with an hour or two where the wife and kids crash for a nap and you can go wander by yourself.

There are a million and one details all over the park(s) as well as interesting people to shoot. Since you'll have a hotel room in which to secure stuff, I'd take as much as you can fit for the trip but head out lightly loaded each time using the room as "home base." Just be sure you lock unused gear out of sight in a suitcase.

If it weren't such a boat anchor to drag around, I'd love to do a whole day at Disney with a 300 f/2.8 !

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Duncan ­ Frenz
Purposely evaded the TF
1,553 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 15, 2009 23:03 as a reply to  @ photoguy6405's post |  #14

I have an upcoming trip and posed the same question. I think we as photographers really try too hard to bring everything. We aren't shooting for NG or anything. We are trying to get great pictures of memories our kids can enjoy. Trust me, they will be happy with most we would throw away, even when they become adults.

I decided on taking a 24-105, 70-200, and either a 50 f1.4 or 85 f1.8. I will use my 24-105 for my main walkaround for the magic kingdom, epcot, and MGM(or whatever it is called now), and use the 70-200 + 50 for the animal park. I will also use the 50 or 85 for the fireworks. I will leave most my gear in the hotel and only take one lens and change at dusk. The kids will need dinner and a break anyway.

- Duncan
Gear_Mor
e than I need, Less than I want
Nonconformists are all alike.
I am not an expert, but I play one on the internet.:D

Maddog12
THREAD ­ STARTER
581 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 15, 2009 23:27 |  #15

I don't think I can use my 18-55 Efs lens on my 40d can I? It was the kit lens for my xti.

sponsored links

9,150 views & 0 likes for this thread
Disney Lenses - I know I know
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.