Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 16 Apr 2009 (Thursday) 23:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Soooo Close

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 16, 2009 23:23 |  #1

I have been trying for this shot, it is like the reason I have the camera. Well, I guess I need to keep trying. I was tracking something else, and saw the duck come into my view. I switched and started tracking it down to the water. Being sunset, I didn't have much light to work with. It's the exact moment that he touched the water. His left foot is just starting to disturb the surface, and the vivid shadow....just took it a few hours ago.

I guess it is a little soft :p... If it had only been in focus. Sharpened in lightroom, and a small amount of cropping.

Feel free to post your perfect mistakes also. (aka the one that got away)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

sponsored links
alohabob
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 16, 2009 23:26 |  #2

Can't see the pic...

Island Light Photography ~ www.islandlightphoto.c​om (external link)
Facebook Page ~ https://www.facebook.c​om/IslandLightPhotodot​com (external link)

alohabob
Goldmember
1,447 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 16, 2009 23:29 as a reply to  @ alohabob's post |  #3

Now it's there...hhmmpphh.
I like your idea of of capturing that moment, keep trying, it will be awesome when you get it!

Island Light Photography ~ www.islandlightphoto.c​om (external link)
Facebook Page ~ https://www.facebook.c​om/IslandLightPhotodot​com (external link)

boufa
THREAD ­ STARTER
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 16, 2009 23:33 |  #4

Its not specifically that moment, it is more of a quality shot of ducks/geese taking off or landing. The behavior seems to be for them to do it facing away from you, at least in the areas that I shoot.

Also, I wish I had the money to change this, the Tokina 80-400mm lens is not very good. It is slow focusing, and has been in for repairs twice in 2 years.

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

Kraig ­ C
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 17, 2009 02:45 |  #5

I turn the manual focus ring slowly towards "near focus" as they are coming towards me, takes some practice, but it's worth the effort. If your lens/camera combo AF is not up to par for fast moving bird shots, stick to manual focus, that way the camera will not try to grab onto the background, or hunt for ages. There's a tips section on getting landing takeoff shots that mentions positioning yourself in an area where the birds are constantly jumping up and down from an object/doc, railing etc.. giving you plenty of opportunities to practice the timing. Here's a mid jumpup/flight shot between the takeoff and landing, not the best of shots, looks better in color, but it's just one of many that I got where the ducks go up and down from a ledge near the water, where it seems like EVERYONE comes down to throw crumbs out for the birds. I'd be the one laying in the mud near the waters edge :P

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,402 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 17, 2009 05:41 |  #6

A critical timing shot for sure, looks like he's on ice. As regards birds landing they will almost always turn into wind so check your wind directions.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

sponsored links

605 views & 0 likes for this thread
Soooo Close
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.