Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 21 Apr 2009 (Tuesday) 22:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do flashes get worse over time?

hy0ii
305 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 21, 2009 22:33 |  #1

I tried searching for the answer through Search function but my words wouldnt match. I apologize if it's a simple question. A friend is getting rid of his flash and im looking into buying one but not so much into tossing a lot of $ into a new one. Do flashes get worse over time?

Canon 5Dmkii | Canon 7D | Canon 35L | Canon 135L

sponsored links
SYS
Cream of the Crop
13,703 posts
Gallery: 472 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 21, 2009 22:40 |  #2

hy0ii wrote in post #7778796 (external link)

Like any other electronic stuff... Yes.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 21, 2009 23:25 |  #3

My 550EX works as well today as the day I bought it, even though it has some minor marks on it.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
13,703 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 21, 2009 23:28 |  #4

tim wrote in post #7779081 (external link)
My 550EX works as well today as the day I bought it, even though it has some minor marks on it.

It doesn't mean your 550EX is "immortal," you know... :p

-Goethe
My Gear

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 21, 2009 23:34 |  #5

No, but four years of mostly careful professional use, but it's been dropped occasionally and that sort of thing. I think I replaced the foot once myself.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

vadim_c
716 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 22, 2009 00:21 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

SYS wrote in post #7778852 (external link)
Like any other electronic stuff... Yes.

Why would any other electronic stuff (not flash in particular) deteriorate over time ? If it does not contain some weak components such as some types of electolitic capasitors that can dry out, and you do not subject it to abuse the lifetime of contemporary electronics far exceeds its 'moral' depreciation.

Exif Internet Explorer Addon (external link).

davidwegs
224 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 22, 2009 01:09 |  #7

If heavily used the tubes burn out.

If used a great number of times at near full power, the tubes burn out.

If bad power is used they can burn out.

If drop kicked into the potomac.... well you can guess that one.

In the persuit of total contentment, Canon does not help :)

hy0ii
THREAD ­ STARTER
305 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 22, 2009 02:12 |  #8

He says.. 10,000 flash cycles and purchased in Oct 07. minimal wear and tear..

$265 for the 580ex II

Canon 5Dmkii | Canon 7D | Canon 35L | Canon 135L

Warl0rd
Goldmember
2,230 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 22, 2009 05:52 as a reply to  @ hy0ii's post |  #9

there are alot of 20y old cheap flashs selling on ebay and they still work :)

Paulo
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/warl0rd (external link)
Canon 450D (XSi) + Grip | Canon 80D | EF-S 10-22 | EF 24-105 L IS | EF 100mm Macro | MP-E 65mm 1-5X | EF-S 18-55 IS STM | EF-S 55-250 IS | Takumar 55mm 1.8 | MT-24EX | Metz 48-AF1 | YN460 II | Kenko DG Auto ET | Kata 3N1-20 DL | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | Mitsai JDC195 | Manfrotto 190XPROB + 484RC2

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 22, 2009 08:46 |  #10

Compared to use, time is irrelevant IMO. I have a Sunpak 555 that is over 25 years old and still works just fine.

If it looks OK and works OK it sounds like a deal to me. He is a 'friend' right? And $265 for a 580EX II sounds like a deal.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

silvrr
Goldmember
2,755 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 22, 2009 08:48 |  #11

Somewhere on this board there was a battery test done using flashes. I would contact that person to see how the flash was after a lot of pops. I think it was up around 20,000

Past Sale Feedback

SYS
Cream of the Crop
13,703 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 22, 2009 09:37 |  #12

vadim_c wrote in post #7779346 (external link)
Why would any other electronic stuff (not flash in particular) deteriorate over time ? If it does not contain some weak components such as some types of electolitic capasitors that can dry out, and you do not subject it to abuse the lifetime of contemporary electronics far exceeds its 'moral' depreciation.

If you read my above post in response to Tim, you'd know that I basically meant that nothing lasts.... Electronic stuff is like human beings in that regard... ;)

-Goethe
My Gear

SYS
Cream of the Crop
13,703 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 22, 2009 09:45 |  #13

silvrr wrote in post #7780922 (external link)
Somewhere on this board there was a battery test done using flashes. I would contact that person to see how the flash was after a lot of pops. I think it was up around 20,000

Actually, it was only 6,560 pops, and with some cooling time after 20 pops in order to preserve the flashgun's health... It's in as good a condition as when I first started.

However, there was someone who fried his Nikon flash doing a similar test as mine, but that's because he just kept on popping without any cooling time in between. And that's one of the reasons why I don't like to buy a used flash from a stranger whose flashing habit is unknown to me. I just don't know how much the unit has been "abused." If it still fires, then most likely it will continue to fire -- just don't know for how long. Like with any used electronic item for sale, you just have to take a chance and have some luck on your side.

-Goethe
My Gear

GH_ATL_GA
111 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 22, 2009 11:01 as a reply to  @ SYS's post |  #14

$265 for a 'functioning' 580EXII is a pretty darn good deal. If you have the opportunity you should check it thoroughly as any required service center repair will cause your savings to evaporate. Some potential problems are not so obvious & a seller might not even be aware of their existence.

Based on personal experiences w/ multiple 580s I'd suggest verifying that you get the full range 1/1 to 1/128 in manual mode, at least in 1 stop increments. If you have a light meter check it using the meter or lacking that use your camera's aperture & ISO to see if you can maintain a constant exposure as you step the power.

If you have another 550/580 verify that it functions in both master & slave mode. Also check the recycle time with fresh batteries & make sure that it's 'reasonably close' to what Canon specifies. Excessively long recycle times may be signs of component damage, most likely due to heat.

Barring physical damage through accident or abuse, flashes are like many other electronic devices in that failures tend to occur early in their life cycle (excluding normal wear & tear of course.) If the flash has served its previous owner well & you find nothing w/ the above checks then I'd say you've found yourself a deal worth pursuing.

silvrr
Goldmember
2,755 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 22, 2009 11:08 |  #15

SYS wrote in post #7781270 (external link)
Actually, it was only 6,560 pops

Thats why Im not an accountant.

Past Sale Feedback

sponsored links

1,807 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.