Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 22 Apr 2009 (Wednesday) 12:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

UK SE Mini-Meet Groombridge 22-Apr-2009

Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 22, 2009 12:41 |  #1

A small POTN Meet for members of the UK SE Thread.

Post 'em up if you have 'em!

Here's a few of mine (click for larger):

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3653/3466268008_3eef7359f0.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …huber/346626800​8/sizes/o/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3549/3465451855_cbf58ec1de.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …huber/346545185​5/sizes/o/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3528/3465451401_a39d812259.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …huber/346545140​1/sizes/o/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3648/3465450613_a403e14721.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …huber/346545061​3/sizes/o/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3509/3465450297_4e059beb3f.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …huber/346545029​7/sizes/o/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3652/3465448919_6d98a255ef.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …huber/346544891​9/sizes/o/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3497/3466267640_108c17b3d7.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …huber/346626764​0/sizes/o/  (external link)

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Kaben
Cream of the Crop
6,408 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 22, 2009 12:53 |  #2

Lovely shots Chris! You guys certainly had some lovely weather for it today!

Since you specifically asked for critique on the 1st image, i will let rip ;).

The only concern i have is with the large dead space of the tree on the left, its quite distracting and the deer is a little lost.

Perhaps you could crop that down a bit?

other than that i think its great and i can see why its your favourite. :)

Rob
My Gear []
My 500px [] (external link) My Flickr [] (external link)
BridgensPhotography.co​.uk (external link)WorldWar2Photography.c​o.uk (external link)
At Least Dreams Are Free

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 22, 2009 12:58 |  #3

Kaben wrote in post #7782294 (external link)
Lovely shots Chris! You guys certainly had some lovely weather for it today!

Since you specifically asked for critique on the 1st image, i will let rip ;).

The only concern i have is with the large dead space of the tree on the left, its quite distracting and the deer is a little lost.

Perhaps you could crop that down a bit?

other than that i think its great and i can see why its your favourite. :)

Cheers, Rob, I see what you mean. I'll give that a go. Thanks :)

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

beano
Goldmember
4,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 22, 2009 13:00 |  #4

Oh mate!! That 1st shot's a beauty! I have to disagree with Rob on the crop, i really like it as it is.

The rest are lovely too. I got some deer shots the other day when i was out shooting bluebells, but i didn't manage to get the deer AND the bluebells in the same shot. :( :D

Scott

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 22, 2009 13:02 |  #5

beano wrote in post #7782349 (external link)
Oh mate!! That 1st shot's a beauty! I have to disagree with Rob on the crop, i really like it as it is.

The rest are lovely too. I got some deer shots the other day when i was out shooting bluebells, but i didn't manage to get the deer AND the bluebells in the same shot. :( :D

Thanks, mate, its nice to have more opinions on it :)

Anke

futura
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 22, 2009 13:15 |  #6

I like the idea behind shot 1, the bluebell partially covering the deer is not too bad but I agree with Rob about the tree on the left being too dominant element in the shot. Given that if you step to your right to have less of the tree on the left but possible a tree coming out the deers head, I can see why it was difficult to compose for.

Various gear
...and most importantly my left eye!
Website (external link)
Flickr page (external link)
500px (external link)

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 22, 2009 13:18 |  #7

futura wrote in post #7782434 (external link)
I like the idea behind shot 1, the bluebell partially covering the deer is not too bad but I agree with Rob about the tree on the left being too dominant element in the shot. Given that if you step to your right to have less of the tree on the left but possible a tree coming out the deers head, I can see why it was difficult to compose for.

Thanks for the comment, I was trying to put the tree in a third, but perhaps rules don't always make good images :)
I'm annoyed at the twig by his head though.

Anke

Kaben
Cream of the Crop
6,408 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 22, 2009 13:18 as a reply to  @ Anke's post |  #8

I did not mean an aggressive crop, just a little trim to bring the focus through the picture a bit more.

Something like this ( i hope you don't mind me cropping your image Chris!)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Rob
My Gear []
BridgensPhotography.co​.uk (external link)WorldWar2Photography.c​o.uk (external link)
At Least Dreams Are Free

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 22, 2009 13:25 |  #9

Kaben wrote in post #7782451 (external link)
I did not mean an aggressive crop, just a little trim to bring the focus through the picture a bit more.

Something like this ( i hope you don't mind me cropping your image Chris!)

No don't mind at all! You're right, it is a bit of a lighter image now. Nice edit. What does anyone else think?

Anke

adrian5127
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 22, 2009 17:17 |  #10

Here are my best efforts of the day

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

If you are wondering why he is holding his wing like that Brett had just clobbered him with his 100-400. I should have confiscated it as evidence.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Almost my favourite shot but just clipped the wing off
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Had a great day with Brett and Chris even if I only made it for a few hours. Good to finally meet you both. Shooting birds in flight is bloody difficult even more respect for Pete.

Adrian
SE UK Thread here***Kit***smugmug (external link)
Wedding photography kent (external link)
Wedding photographer kent (external link)

Kaben
Cream of the Crop
6,408 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 22, 2009 17:29 as a reply to  @ adrian5127's post |  #11

Very nice shots Adrian!

Did you know there were going to be birds of prey there? Its funny, since we were talking about something like that in the car just yesterday!

Rob
My Gear []
At Least Dreams Are Free

adrian5127
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 22, 2009 17:37 |  #12

Anke wrote in post #7782500 (external link)
No don't mind at all! You're right, it is a bit of a lighter image now. Nice edit. What does anyone else think?

Personally I agree with Rob, makes the deer a stronger subject but still subtle. Great shots I see you found the deer again.

Looking at the difference between the two lenses yours is definitely sharper. Jacobs have both the 10-400 and 120-400 in stock so I will have to take my laptop and do a comparison before I make up my mind. The A700 I am selling is alreay at £310 with just under five days to go with 40 watchers. Others have sold for £430 so I should make a nice little profit to go for one of them. I have my heart set on getting a lens on Monday it will just be a question of which one.

Adrian

adrian5127
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 22, 2009 17:47 |  #13

Kaben wrote in post #7783813 (external link)
Very nice shots Adrian!

Did you know there were going to be birds of prey there? Its funny, since we were talking about something like that in the car just yesterday!

I think Chris mentioned it but I did not see it on the official web site. They only flew two birds but it did last for quite a while. Took loads of shots of them in flight but only a few worth posting.

I forgot to mention the funniest bit of the day was the eagle shat on my camera bag. I had left it open so was lucky it landed on the strap. Not the souvenir I was expecting:confused::confused:

I am planning on going to Richmond Park on Tuesday for more deer shots and harass the poor Kingfisher if you and anyone else is interested. you can get quite close to them as per the below picture which is not cropped

IMAGE NOT FOUND

A few floral shots from today as well

Taken with Chris' 100-400 ideal for close-ups

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Not to sure if this works playing around with placement of the subject
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Adrian

Kaben
Cream of the Crop
6,408 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 22, 2009 17:52 as a reply to  @ adrian5127's post |  #14

Adrian, get the Canon. Its more money, but at least you know you wont be second guessing yourself after buying it and it will hold its value significantly better.

Also you get better IS and allot less likely so have focusing problems reported in many of the reviews. One review of the Sigma (cant remember which, sorry to be so useless!) needed 3 Sigma lenses before they got a copy that had no flaws.

Rob
My Gear []
At Least Dreams Are Free

Kaben
Cream of the Crop
6,408 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 22, 2009 17:56 as a reply to  @ Kaben's post |  #15

Just to further you money spending:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com …L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx (external link)

Rob
My Gear []
At Least Dreams Are Free

sponsored links

4,972 views & 0 likes for this thread
UK SE Mini-Meet Groombridge 22-Apr-2009
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.