Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Apr 2009 (Friday) 07:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Soft Sigma 50mm 1.4 HSM

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,340 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2007

May 13, 2009 12:32 |  #31

phigment wrote in post #7913749 (external link)
Interesting. I didn't actually compare the shift distance with other apertures. Maybe I'll do that tonight, but really, I'm a little sick of testing this out. Time to take some real pictures. :D

Overall, I'm happy with the lens, and the pictures it can take are beautiful. I haven't even noticed the problem (after getting it back from calibration) with everyday shooting.

Then no worries right?

As far as all the talk about this lens "shifting"? if in fact it does (which the experts here say it does so I won't attempt to argue the point, because you guys are way more knowledgable on the Tech side than I.) but..... it is not noticable at all on mine, and I mean zero effect...I have quite a bit of experience with the 50L shift, I knew when to expect it, I knew how it would act, I guess I understood it and............... I loathed it.
I see none of the same characteristics with the EX50/1.4....I'd like to see more on the subject....Then again.....nevermind, I think I'm happier not knowing more...LOL

My Flickr (external link)
Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

sponsored links
Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 13, 2009 12:37 |  #32
bannedPermanent ban

Looks sharp enough to me

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

ears
552 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 13, 2009 12:50 |  #33

I also have the sigma 50 and it took a few adjustments with the micro adjust to get it right(I think). I think I am going to send it end to get it right. Couldn't hurt could it? I mean has anybody ever got a lens back worse than what they started with?

5d MkIII / 6D SOLD:cry:/ 50mm 1.2L II / 24-70 2.8L Mark II Sold:cry: / Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II SOLD!:(

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 13, 2009 14:17 |  #34

thatkatmat wrote in post #7914088 (external link)
Then no worries right?

As far as all the talk about this lens "shifting"? if in fact it does (which the experts here say it does so I won't attempt to argue the point, because you guys are way more knowledgable on the Tech side than I.) but..... it is not noticable at all on mine, and I mean zero effect...I have quite a bit of experience with the 50L shift, I knew when to expect it, I knew how it would act, I guess I understood it and............... I loathed it.

And I believe you had the "good copy" that Perry ended up with, no?

Do you find the Sigma that much better? I'm really tempted by this lens, but the issues I keep reading about make me wary. Did you send yours in for calibration?

The 50L is tempting, but I don't want to spend that kind of money for a "shifty" lens...and it's well-documented that it exhibits focus shift.

flickr (external link)

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,340 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2007

May 13, 2009 14:55 |  #35

Brett wrote in post #7914633 (external link)
And I believe you had the "good copy" that Perry ended up with, no?

Do you find the Sigma that much better? I'm really tempted by this lens, but the issues I keep reading about make me wary. Did you send yours in for calibration?

The 50L is tempting, but I don't want to spend that kind of money for a "shifty" lens...and it's well-documented that it exhibits focus shift.

Yeah, Perry's got my last 50L

I don't think the Sigma is better, it just works at all apertures near MFD, The L is awesome...AF, build, 1.2, pretty sharp wide open, CA's under control, I love it....But I shoot a lot of tight face shots, flowers and other things at or close to MFD at apertures from wide open to about 2.8ish.....So the L is out of the question.
I do however think the EX50/1.4 is the best lens for me, the AF isn't quite as smooth as the L, it doesn't have 1.2 or the L build, but it's close and that's the best I can do for right now.

My Flickr (external link)
Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

poah
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 13, 2009 15:27 |  #36

why not take pictures in good light, iso 100 and then actually sharpen the image.

Free printer profiles PM me for info

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 13, 2009 17:10 |  #37

thatkatmat wrote in post #7914838 (external link)
Yeah, Perry's got my last 50L

I don't think the Sigma is better, it just works at all apertures near MFD, The L is awesome...AF, build, 1.2, pretty sharp wide open, CA's under control, I love it....But I shoot a lot of tight face shots, flowers and other things at or close to MFD at apertures from wide open to about 2.8ish.....So the L is out of the question.
I do however think the EX50/1.4 is the best lens for me, the AF isn't quite as smooth as the L, it doesn't have 1.2 or the L build, but it's close and that's the best I can do for right now.

Thanks. I really love the bokeh of the Sigma as well, and it sounds like you shoot similarly to my style.

flickr (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,339 posts
Gallery: 527 photos
Joined Oct 2008

May 13, 2009 18:30 as a reply to  @ Brett's post |  #38

See the focus shift issues and everything is why I have yet to get a new 50 prime :(

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

weezerfan84
903 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 13, 2009 20:15 |  #39

That will probably always be the problem dealing with fast glass like this. This Sigma is affordable fast glass as well. It's something I'm definitely willing to deal with compared to what other options there is out there.

Canon 5D classic/Canon 85 1.8/17-40L/Siggy 50 f/1.4 ex/430ex speedlite/and some books

My slowly improving flickr (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=735845

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,339 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 13, 2009 20:44 |  #40

weezerfan84 wrote in post #7916649 (external link)
That will probably always be the problem dealing with fast glass like this. This Sigma is affordable fast glass as well. It's something I'm definitely willing to deal with compared to what other options there is out there.

This is true and the Siggy is definately at the top of my list...

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 13, 2009 22:15 |  #41

KenjiS wrote in post #7916108 (external link)
See the focus shift issues and everything is why I have yet to get a new 50 prime :(

Me too. The 50/1.8 has been mounted on my 5D exactly once, and I love 50mm on FF. The Canon 50/1.4 doesn't have true ring USM and has really funky bokeh that doesn't please my eye at all. The 50L I could probably live with, but at that price, I want perfection.

I just wish Sigma had gone whole-hog and built it as a 50/1.2, and that the 1.4 didn't have all the issues it does, although most Sigmas seem similar in the "AF sucked brand new, but after x-number of trips to Sigma, it's much better" syndrome.

flickr (external link)

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 13, 2009 22:26 |  #42

do it.
I thought my Tamron 17-50 was a great deal for a great lens.
I rarely use my tammy anymore. I bet it feels neglected :)

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,339 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 14, 2009 01:11 |  #43

Brett wrote in post #7917316 (external link)
Me too. The 50/1.8 has been mounted on my 5D exactly once, and I love 50mm on FF. The Canon 50/1.4 doesn't have true ring USM and has really funky bokeh that doesn't please my eye at all. The 50L I could probably live with, but at that price, I want perfection.

I just wish Sigma had gone whole-hog and built it as a 50/1.2, and that the 1.4 didn't have all the issues it does, although most Sigmas seem similar in the "AF sucked brand new, but after x-number of trips to Sigma, it's much better" syndrome.

I had a Canon 50mm f/1.4, in many ways i do in fact miss it, i just miscalculated how much id actually use it..

But the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 looks good to me..I might give it a try...Maybe rent it and see how i like it...

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,613 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 14, 2009 04:20 |  #44

KenjiS wrote in post #7918331 (external link)
I had a Canon 50mm f/1.4, in many ways i do in fact miss it, i just miscalculated how much id actually use it..

But the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 looks good to me..I might give it a try...Maybe rent it and see how i like it...

While you're at it, why not try the 50L a the same time? :D

Kind regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 2 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,339 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 14, 2009 06:49 |  #45

wimg wrote in post #7918796 (external link)
While you're at it, why not try the 50L a the same time? :D

Kind regards, Wim

I might actually...

I've already considered renting the 50L before to see if id like it or not...

Maybe start with the 50L...

sponsored links

5,399 views & 0 likes for this thread
Soft Sigma 50mm 1.4 HSM
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.