Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Apr 2009 (Friday) 07:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Soft Sigma 50mm 1.4 HSM

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,613 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 14, 2009 06:58 |  #46

KenjiS wrote in post #7919094 (external link)
I might actually...

I've already considered renting the 50L before to see if id like it or not...

Maybe start with the 50L...

:D

I'd honestly say, get them both simultaneously, settle it for once and all :D.

Kind regards, Wim ;)

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 2 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

sponsored links
versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 14, 2009 09:25 |  #47

How would you FF users compare the Siggy's bokeh with the Canon 50 1.4? Any comparisons out there?

My Canon 50 1.4 is plenty sharp, I just don't care for the bokeh.

Gear List

Michael

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,340 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2007

May 14, 2009 09:58 |  #48

sorry, have nothing here at work to compare bokeh, but will say that the Sigma's got some extra creamy, very smooth bokeh, IMHO it is much more pleasing to the eye, especially around f2 than the EF...But YMMV

My Flickr (external link)
Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

Jman13
Cream of the Crop
5,558 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 14, 2009 10:09 |  #49

The Sigma's bokeh is significantly better than the Canon 50 f/1.4's. It borders on 85L good. Wide open sharpness I've found to be similar, but contrast is better on the Sigma at wider apertures. I also think the contrast rolloff is nicer with the Sigma, which leads to better skin tones. This is one of my favorites from the Sigma 50, on the 1Ds II, at f/1.8:

IMAGE: http://www.jordansteele.com/forumlinks/chloe_jeans.jpg

Jordan Steele - http://www.jordansteel​e.com (external link)
Admiring Light - http://www.admiringlig​ht.com (external link)

weezerfan84
903 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 14, 2009 10:26 |  #50

I like the results of 1.8. I haven't shot much at all at 1.4, just because there's too much to deal with. This lens is leaps and bounds sharper than my 1.8 at 1.8. This lens is definitely money at 2.8, which is where I've used it to shoot some flowers. Been raining for 3 weeks straight so I haven't been out much with it.

Also, done some around the house at 2.0 and 2.2.

Canon 5D classic/Canon 85 1.8/17-40L/Siggy 50 f/1.4 ex/430ex speedlite/and some books

My slowly improving flickr (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=735845

versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 14, 2009 10:26 |  #51

thatkatmat wrote in post #7919952 (external link)
sorry, have nothing here at work to compare bokeh, but will say that the Sigma's got some extra creamy, very smooth bokeh, IMHO it is much more pleasing to the eye, especially around f2 than the EF...But YMMV

Thanks.

Jman13 wrote in post #7920027 (external link)
It borders on 85L good.

That's some serious praise!

I've seen that shot before Jordan and its fantastic.

I probably should just bite the bullet and get one.

Gear List

Michael

sponsored links

5,391 views & 0 likes for this thread
Soft Sigma 50mm 1.4 HSM
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.