Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Apr 2009 (Sunday) 15:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Keep a spare body or spend it on glass

xoldboy
577 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 27, 2009 00:12 |  #16

glass baby!

Crance Studios (external link)
Camera Equipment
CPS Member Since 2009

sponsored links
S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 27, 2009 06:17 |  #17

When I think back on 'glass' the only two lenses I'd say made a BIG difference were expensive primes.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 27, 2009 06:28 |  #18

The only lenses that make a BIG difference are the ones you use the most. I would have to say, for me, that would be the Tamron. Not the best lens I have but I would certainly miss it the most.

To the OP.... I would be looking at glass, in your case, and not even thinking of an additional body.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 27, 2009 06:35 |  #19

Ok, bohdank, you're right and I was unclear -- When I say BIG difference, I mean something I would notice in terms of (a) ability to capture scenes which my other kit could not and (b) the quality of the results.

As for anyone's next purchase, I think a good rule would be "the one I could use the most"

;}

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

blueM
"I am the Prince of Dorkness"
1,662 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 27, 2009 06:49 |  #20

When prices for used 20D's dropped below $400 I decided to keep mine (after purchasing the 5D).

The value to me was greater than the $350 I could have gotten for it, so now I have a backup. Probably makes more sense to have the crop as backup to FF rather than just another crop

Kevin

Gear List

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 27, 2009 07:55 |  #21

S.Horton wrote in post #7811319 (external link)
Ok, bohdank, you're right and I was unclear -- When I say BIG difference, I mean something I would notice in terms of (a) ability to capture scenes which my other kit could not and (b) the quality of the results.

As for anyone's next purchase, I think a good rule would be "the one I could use the most"

;}

that was just me being a PITA ;-)a

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

shutterfiend
Goldmember
2,058 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 27, 2009 08:04 |  #22

Bodies depreciate rapidly. Unless you absolutely need two bodies, there's no need to have one sitting in your bag. If you're planning to shoot at events (weddings, concerts, etc.) I would recommend keeping the backup body. Otherwise, no.

https://photography-on-the.net …p=7812587&postc​ount=91776

ejicon
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 27, 2009 12:54 |  #23

I own a
-Nikon D50
-Canon 30D
and
-Canon 5D

I'm not a professional either.
I decided not to sell my D50 when I got my 30D and not to sell my 30D when I got my 5D because for what I paid for each camera vs what it will be selling for with today's value, it's just not worth it. I'd rather just keep them as backups. I may not use my 30D or 5D simultaneously at all for year, but the one time that I will need two bodies would be worth not selling my second body. It's already happened once this year ;)

5D & 30D| Canon 16-35ii f/2.8 L USM| Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | Canon EF 100 f/ 2.8 Macro USM

Lane ­ 4 ­ Imaging
22 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 27, 2009 13:20 |  #24

I have a 1DM3 and a 30D. First DSLR camera was the 30D with the 17-85mm. Moved up to the 85mm f/1.8, added the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS and was AMAZED. Upgraded to the !DM3 and added the 24-70mm f/2.8. Good glass is what it is all about.

The 30D/17-85 gather dust as my fail safe backup.

Buy GLASS. Good luck!

Canon EOS 1D Mark III, 30D, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS, EF 24-70 f/2.8L, EF 17-40 f/4L, EF 85 f/1.8, EFS 17-85 EFS

Lane 4 Imaging @ Flickr http://www.flickr.com …lane4imaging/co​llections/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,256 views & 0 likes for this thread
Keep a spare body or spend it on glass
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.