Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Apr 2009 (Sunday) 22:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Quantum Turbo Help

Nick ­ Pro
Goldmember
1,084 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 26, 2009 22:02 |  #1

Shooting a Sweet 16 recently, my Turbo would only work for about 20 min at a time. I would then have to shut it off, and restart it. (The High voltage indicator would turn off, and the flash would stop receiving power) I replaced the battery very recently, and I have no idea what could be causing this. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

sponsored links
tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 26, 2009 22:14 |  #2

Nick Pro wrote in post #7809722 (external link)
Shooting a Sweet 16 recently, my Turbo would only work for about 20 min at a time. I would then have to shut it off, and restart it. (The High voltage indicator would turn off, and the flash would stop receiving power) I replaced the battery very recently, and I have no idea what could be causing this. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

You're describing the exact symptoms my Turbo was exhibiting about two months ago. Quantum told me it was a battery problem. Installing a new Powersonic did indeed fix my problem. Are you sure the battery you installed was good?

Dave F.

Nick ­ Pro
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,084 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 27, 2009 09:41 |  #3

tetrode wrote in post #7809807 (external link)
You're describing the exact symptoms my Turbo was exhibiting about two months ago. Quantum told me it was a battery problem. Installing a new Powersonic did indeed fix my problem. Are you sure the battery you installed was good?

Dave F.

I bought it new from Batteries Plus, so I would imagine it's good. It was the same brand as the OEM battery too... When I was reinstalling it, could I have not put a cable on correctly?

tetrode
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 27, 2009 10:49 |  #4

Nick Pro wrote in post #7812026 (external link)
I bought it new from Batteries Plus, so I would imagine it's good. It was the same brand as the OEM battery too... When I was reinstalling it, could I have not put a cable on correctly?

The battery they sent you is an original Sonnenschein? I couldn't find any Sonnenschein batteries on the Batteries Plus website. If you didn't purchase your Turbo new, perhaps the previous owner had already swapped out the Sonnenschein that Quantum installs in new Turbo packs.

Oh, and no, had you reversed the terminal connections, the Turbo would have been totally inert.

Dave F.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,780 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 27, 2009 11:58 |  #5

I presume you used a Powersonic PS-832? Batteries Plus, for some odd reason, carries that battery but does not list the Quantum Turbo in the models of Quantum products for which it sells batteries. The Sonnenshiem A200 is the actual original Quantum-included battery used in the Turbo, now replaced by the A400.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tetrode
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 27, 2009 12:42 |  #6

Wilt wrote in post #7812771 (external link)
I presume you used a Powersonic PS-832? Batteries Plus, for some odd reason, carries that battery but does not list the Quantum Turbo in the models of Quantum products for which it sells batteries. The Sonnenshiem A200 is the actual original Quantum-included battery used in the Turbo, now replaced by the A400.

I put a PS-832 in my Turbo, Wilt. Works fantastically well. Greater capacity than the Sonnenschein and 1/3 the price.

Wilt
41,780 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 27, 2009 12:58 |  #7

tetrode wrote in post #7813022 (external link)
I put a PS-832 in my Turbo, Wilt. Works fantastically well. Greater capacity than the Sonnenschein and 1/3 the price.

Yes, I put the same battery into my Turbo, only a few months ago (after over a decade of use of the original battery). I only paid $25 shipped, compared to the Batteries Plus price of $33 shipped.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Nick ­ Pro
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,084 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 27, 2009 15:21 |  #8

Wilt wrote in post #7812771 (external link)

Your right, I did use that battery. I guess the previous owner replaced the OEM pack as well.

Wilt
41,780 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 27, 2009 15:48 |  #9

In that case, I would take the Turbo back apart (as if replacing the battery) and see if something might be causing an inadvertant short, and reassemble carefully to see if the problem persists. It might need a trip to Quantum to sort out failing control electronics

mrcanon4life
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 14, 2010 19:10 |  #10

Nick Pro wrote in post #7813882 (external link)
Your right, I did use that battery. I guess the previous owner replaced the OEM pack as well.

Hi, I am new to this forum and would like to know does the Powersonic PS-832 replace the dryfit a200 by Sonnenchein and is it fully operational in the Quantum Turbo ?
I have to replace mine after 8 years of good use...purchased it in 95 and last used in 2003.

Wilt
41,780 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 14, 2010 19:31 |  #11

mrcanon4life wrote in post #10362203 (external link)
Hi, I am new to this forum and would like to know does the Powersonic PS-832 replace the dryfit a200 by Sonnenchein and is it fully operational in the Quantum Turbo ?
I have to replace mine after 8 years of good use...purchased it in 95 and last used in 2003.

It works very well. Read this thread...https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=7370852#p​ost7370852

mrcanon4life
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 17, 2010 15:13 |  #12

Wilt wrote in post #10362305 (external link)
It works very well. Read this thread...https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=7370852#p​ost7370852

Q: with the Powersonic PS-832, will i be able to use the original charging cord that came with my quantum battery? I would hate to order one and can't charge it...

mrcanon4life
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 17, 2010 16:53 |  #13

First, allow me totthank all who contribute to the forums. Although I have been shooting for almost 30 years - I do not profess to know everything...so, I turn to those that know what I need to learn. I purchased my Quantum Turbo in 1995 and it lasted up until 2008 (not 2003 as previously mentioned). I invested (at teh time) $10k in bodies, lenses and studio equipment whcih includes a Mamiya RB 67 w/3 backs, waist level and eye view finders and two lenses - thats when I made the Quantum "leap" and don't trust any other brand.
Thank you
Thank you

Wilt
41,780 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 17, 2010 17:23 |  #14

mrcanon4life wrote in post #10380284 (external link)
Q: with the Powersonic PS-832, will i be able to use the original charging cord that came with my quantum battery? I would hate to order one and can't charge it...

The charging cord plugs into the Turbo electronics which has the battery plugged into it...so the charging cord will always be physically compatible. You may need additional time to charge the higher capacity battery, since the current flow remains the same from the charging circuit into the battery. But I have no idea how much time before the recommended 16hr. charge time is spent merely 'topping up' the last few percentage of full charge. As I have never fully depleted the battery, 16hrs. (recommended by Quantum no matter what) seems to always get the battery fully charged.

mrcanon4life
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 27, 2010 16:31 |  #15

I got the 29.00 version of the battery and it works great. Thanks to this forum, I saved time and money. Thanks to you all

sponsored links

3,497 views & 0 likes for this thread
Quantum Turbo Help
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.