Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Apr 2009 (Tuesday) 00:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

B+W F-Pro filter question

Paolo.Leviste
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 28, 2009 00:20 |  #1

It states that the F-Pro filters are thin. Now I'm really weary of filters like this since my Tiffen (which I hate now with a passion, but still use) is so thin that my lens caps don't work.

My question is simple, will the threads on the front of these F-Pros still fit my lens caps?

Simple, stupid, yet utterly important question. May have to order two for my lenses.

[Canon 5DII/30D | 24-70 f2.8L | Σ 30 f1.4 | Σ 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f4L | 580EX II ]
3.Hundred.6.SIX (external link)
SmugMug (external link)

sponsored links
nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 28, 2009 01:20 |  #2

Last I remember the B&W thin-frame filters were like the HOYA SuperHMC Pro1's (which have 3mm frames. The front has a filter thread made for lens caps to snap into.

If you aren't certain about the B&W's still, hunt down some HOYA SuperHMC Pro1's - they're better than the B&H's anyways. Plus seeing as you're a Tokina fan, it doesn't hurt you to know that HOYA is the parent company of Tokina - and is responsible for the multi-coatings that Tokina uses.

check out... www.thkphoto.com (external link)

P.S. HOYA is also the parent company of PENTAX. Hence, all the famous SMC Pentax lenses... famous for their SMC coatings - thank HOYA for that too.

Alan "NuReality" Fronshtein
Gear List | PBase |  (external link)flickr (external link)
Lots of Fun, Lots of Laughs, Happy Trigger Finger!

Paolo.Leviste
THREAD ­ STARTER
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 28, 2009 01:24 |  #3

Thanks nureality! Yeah, I was kinda hedging on one or the other. The F-Pro nomenclature got me thinking though, and this answers my question perfectly.

I'll be checking out the Hoyas for sure now. :)

SmugMug (external link)

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Apr 28, 2009 06:29 |  #4

Yes, I have the F-Pro and they had threads that allow a lens cap to fit on nicely.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

JelleVerherstraeten
Goldmember
2,440 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 28, 2009 06:36 |  #5

Yes they have threads.
But I always find that the lenscap never fit right...
But they don't fall off, so who cares :-).

-Jelle l Gear l Website (external link) l

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,288 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 28, 2009 08:44 |  #6

Paolo.Leviste wrote in post #7816960 (external link)
It states that the F-Pro filters are thin.

Not correct. I have owned three B+W F-Pro filters, and they were definitely not "Thin". They were quite thick and had front threads.

Which one are you interested in? And where does it say it is thin? They do have some "Slim Line" filters available, but that is not the norm.

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

[Hyuni]
Goldmember
1,186 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 28, 2009 08:52 |  #7

the thin B+W filters are the 'Slim' versions.
I got the 67mm B+W CPL MRC Slim and realized that I couldn't attach the lens cap to the filter. Sucks.
They give you this rubbery cover that doesn't snap on and really actually sucks.

I'd suggest not getting the "Slim' versions. More of a hassle than anything.

6D Rokinon 14 f/2.8 l EF 35 ƒ1.4L l EF 135 ƒ2.0L l EF 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II l YN460 l 580EX II l Flick'd (external link)

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,288 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 28, 2009 09:14 |  #8

Here is what B+W says:

B+W Standard Filter Mount F-Pro

Compared to the earlier B+W standard filter mount, the B+W Standard Filter Mount F-Pro has been improved considerably.

While maintaining the excellent quality of materials, fabrication, and high mechanical stability, the new F-Pro mount has become thinner, so that now it can also be used on many wide-angle lenses without the danger of vignetting.

While thinner than the old F-Pro mount, it is still thicker than the B+W "Slim Line" filters and still has front filter threads.

B+W SLIM Wide-Angle Filters

B+W has introduced the thin
-ner line of B+W “SLIM” wide-angle filters without a front thread that are a mere 3 mm thick, designed for super wide-angle lenses that are prone to vi
-gnetting.

These are the ones you should probably stay away from if you don't like your Tiffen "thin" filters.

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

Paolo.Leviste
THREAD ­ STARTER
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 28, 2009 10:43 |  #9

msowsun wrote in post #7818372 (external link)
Not correct. I have owned three B+W F-Pro filters, and they were definitely not "Thin". They were quite thick and had front threads.

Which one are you interested in? And where does it say it is thin? They do have some "Slim Line" filters available, but that is not the norm.

Looking at hvstar again, I'm guessing it was the slim. I was just reading the product description over at hvstar, and it got me curious. I already curse and glare at my Tiffen, and wouldn't want that too happen again with another filter. Sorry for the confusion then.

In either case, I just ordered a couple of hoya Clear Protectors last night, so my lenses can BOTH have some protection now (I'm slightly TOO clumsy to not use filters).

SmugMug (external link)

sponsored links

2,442 views & 0 likes for this thread
B+W F-Pro filter question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.