Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Apr 2009 (Tuesday) 08:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you reply to LOWBALL offers?

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Apr 28, 2009 08:36 |  #1

I got this email from someone: "I'm interested in buying a cd copy of the weslaco vs laredo playoff game. I purchased a cd from a photographer back in December in Edinburg for $20.00. Would you be able to sell me this gallery for that amount?"

They want to buy all the images in this gallery http://www.valleysport​spics.com …683_DmcdP#48205​7975_FiwWP (external link) for $20.00 lol. 157 pics.

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

sponsored links
jbrown7815
731 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 28, 2009 08:40 |  #2

Counter-offer with a more reasonable amount, or simply tell them your work is worth way more than that.

~Jesse~

Michael_Lambert
-ColdMember-
2,426 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 28, 2009 08:56 |  #3

As said, Reply advising them of your rates and what you are willing to sell the item for. If they are un willing to pay fair price for the work that is there problem.

My Canon Gear
Michael Lambert Photography (external link)

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 28, 2009 08:57 |  #4

Tell them they left out a zero or two.

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

AzzKicker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Apr 28, 2009 09:22 |  #5

I guess this is also an example of how joe dirt photographers go selling their work for ridiculous low price affects those of us who actually value their work etc.

Ruben D. Zamora

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 28, 2009 09:26 |  #6

AzzKicker wrote in post #7818555 (external link)
I guess this is also an example of how joe dirt photographers go selling their work for ridiculous low price affects those of us who actually value their work etc.

I had a potential wedding client email me the other day telling me she loved my work and her daughter was getting married-- she did not have any money but asked if I would photograph her wedding for free. (I am totally serious here)
I replied to her very kindly that I appreciate her email but I work very hard to provide a living for my family. I told her that is was not fair to my kids to have me work for free and that I might be able to provide a discount but would need to interview the mom and bride before considering such a discount. In order to begin the process I would need a $2K retainer which would go against the total fee should they be chosen.
Needless to say she replied back telling me thanks but no thanks.

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

tomd
Cream of the Crop
13,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 28, 2009 09:31 |  #7

I checked into your site. For the small size, they are $4 each. Thus 157 pics at $4 each is 628. I'd tell her she can have a limited use CD for 50% off; or $315.

She'll probably make duplicates of the CD and give them to all her friends.

=======>>> play W.A.I.N. :D

AzzKicker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Apr 28, 2009 09:35 |  #8

tomd wrote in post #7818596 (external link)
I checked into your site. For the small size, they are $4 each. Thus 157 pics at $4 each is 628. I'd tell her she can have a limited use CD for 50% off; or $315.

She'll probably make duplicates of the CD and give them to all her friends.

That's what I have a feeling they want to do. Once that CD is out, I can almost guarantee all the players will have copies. And now that I think about, that High School I have yet to sell a single picture from. I bet its because they copied that other CD the other photographer sold them from the previous games. It's just too obvious. Of all the high school basketball games i shot, that is the only school i never got a sale from.

Ruben D. Zamora

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 28, 2009 09:40 as a reply to  @ AzzKicker's post |  #9

I'd offer her high res print ready files with reproduction rights at $50 a file. That would be about $7850. ;)

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

jcpoulin
Goldmember
2,447 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 28, 2009 09:50 |  #10

A low rez cd with huge watermarks is worth the $20.......tell her you can take the watermarks out and add some rez for more$$$!!!!

1DX , 7D,16-35, 24-70 2.8II, 2.8L II, , 70-200 f2.8LII IS, 300 f2.8L IS, 500 f4 IS, 100-400L, Canon 100 2.8 macro, Canon 1.4X, 580ex, AB800X4
Canon CPS Member, PPA
www.capturingtimephoto​graphy.net (external link)

tomd
Cream of the Crop
13,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 28, 2009 09:51 |  #11

AzzKicker wrote in post #7818615 (external link)
That's what I have a feeling they want to do. Once that CD is out, I can almost guarantee all the players will have copies. And now that I think about, that High School I have yet to sell a single picture from. I bet its because they copied that other CD the other photographer sold them from the previous games. It's just too obvious. Of all the high school basketball games i shot, that is the only school i never got a sale from.

yeap...seems to be the case.

=======>>> play W.A.I.N. :D

AzzKicker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Apr 28, 2009 09:52 |  #12

bacchanal wrote in post #7818632 (external link)
I'd offer her high res print ready files with reproduction rights at $50 a file. That would be about $7850. ;)

If only :) that could pay off all my equipment :)

Ruben D. Zamora

dreamcatcher23
225 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 28, 2009 10:09 |  #13

You could offer to sell her a CD with only photos of her in - that way you know she can't get them for the whole team.

I'm still not comfortable selling digital files, but generally price them at about the price of my most expensive print for (personal use only), as that's what they could potentially make from the file. Most people who buy prints only buy 1-3 copies of the same photo anyway, so i'm not worried that by selling a file for such an amount I'm losing out of selling 10s of copies of the print.

dcad10
211 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 28, 2009 10:15 |  #14

high ball an offer back at her... perhaps $50,000 for all the files

Just ­ Be
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 28, 2009 10:40 as a reply to  @ dcad10's post |  #15

Don't believe everything you hear from a prospective client on what they paid last time to some other photographer.

To get around the whole cd thing...

My company doesn't sell the cd to anyone, for any reason.

We give it to them for free when they purchase our largest packages.

It's a great way to up-sell. Nearly everyone buys one of our large packages because they get so much for their money and because it comes with the cd.

Selling just a cd to someone who is so worried about cost, will just go to the local pharmacy and end up with poor prints.

Then they show their friends and tell them that you were the photographer.

We want full control of the quality of the images we sell.

6D, 60D, Various L and non-L Lenses and more gear than I have time to use. ;)

sponsored links

8,168 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you reply to LOWBALL offers?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.