Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Apr 2009 (Tuesday) 10:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Some friendly advice on a new walkaround. (24-70)

Livinthalife
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 28, 2009 10:03 |  #1

Well I have been using my Tamron 28-75 2.8 forever. It's my MOST used lens. I love it! the FL is jsut right. But after using other Canon USM lenses, I really feel the need to move UP. So I'm thinking of the 24-70 2.8 L. Also the better colors is another big plus for me. Oh what else can I say, got to love the Ls.

I also noticed Sigma has an HSM version (but the price is similar, but cheaper). Any reviews, or advice? Please help an indecisive fellow here :)

-Andy-

sponsored links
pridash
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: London, UK - Where 30 degrees celcius is considered a heatwave and liable to result in death.

Apr 28, 2009 10:36 |  #2

Shame you don't live in the uk asI would have loved to take the Tamron off your hands when you upgrade!

The Sigma has got some great reviews and seems to be on par with the canon on many levels so if you have the extra money go for the L but if not you won't go far wrong with the new Sigma.

Pradeep (but most people call me PJ)

Flickr (external link) | Website (external link)
Stop obsessing about gear and focus on your own art and creativity. Nurture and love the artist inside yourself.

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,289 posts
Gallery: 805 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 28, 2009 11:01 |  #3

After much internal debate (analysis paralysis) I went with the 24-70L, and have enjoyed every second with it! What made me choose it over the competitor was the colors and bokeh, 2.8 for lower-light, and the build quality. It is just wide enough on my 40D to get decent landscapes and tight enough for excellent portraits (and macro). People say it's heavy and bulky, and compared to other Canon offering it is, but it's not that bad, and once you start seeing your results with the lens, you won't think about the weight again :)

When I mentioned "competitor", I was referring to the EF-S 17-55mm. The debate still goes on in my head, but the only thing that keeps me thinking about it is the IS. Other than that, the 24-70 just took better looking shots (to me). In addition, the build quality and the reach with the 55mm was a little short for my liking in a walk around. Honestly though, I think I would be satisfied with both lenses.

Canon/Nikon/Fuji

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,447 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 28, 2009 11:47 as a reply to  @ MatthewK's post |  #4

On the crop body the 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS is the better "Walkaround" lens IMHO. I have owned both and have learned this from lots of experience. Now, having said that, the 24-70MM f/2.8 EF L on the 5D is a whole new ballpark...I love this combo!

Jim -- I keep the Leica D-Lux 7 in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L, Leica D-Lux 7

Livinthalife
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 28, 2009 12:13 |  #5

Alright, well Im on the L for now. Still need to order, jsut need to find a decent place with a fair price (BHphoto.)

Thanks for your help!

pridash, I would be more than willing to send to the UK assuming you pay shipping. I don't know if it would save you money after all is said and done though. But let me know, and I will keep you posted.

-Andy-

Livinthalife
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 28, 2009 12:14 |  #6

Jim, I know about the 17-55 but honestly, I don't need that wide, and want more on the long end, that's why I was still on the 24-70. The 10-22 catches all my wide stuff. My only gap would be 22-24mm. I'm not concerned about that at all, but thanks for your input.

-Andy-

pridash
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: London, UK - Where 30 degrees celcius is considered a heatwave and liable to result in death.

Apr 28, 2009 12:18 |  #7

Livinthalife wrote in post #7819495 (external link)
Alright, well Im on the L for now. Still need to order, jsut need to find a decent place with a fair price (BHphoto.)

Thanks for your help!

pridash, I would be more than willing to send to the UK assuming you pay shipping. I don't know if it would save you money after all is said and done though. But let me know, and I will keep you posted.

Thanks Andy, but I'm pretty sure HM Revenues & Customs will crucify me with tax when it arrives here so won't be cost effective.

Good luck with the L and hopefully we'll see some pictures you've taken with it!

...Maybe one day I will own an L, but in the meantime, will have to make do with the Tamron (hopefully next month).

Stop obsessing about gear and focus on your own art and creativity. Nurture and love the artist inside yourself.

Livinthalife
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 01, 2009 13:36 |  #8

hey pridash, my 24-70 came in. Not that I'm trying to force a sale on to you. But how do they charge tax? What if it's marked as "gift" or do they charge tax according to the "value"?

-Andy-

pridash
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 01, 2009 13:47 |  #9

Livinthalife wrote in post #7839116 (external link)
hey pridash, my 24-70 came in. Not that I'm trying to force a sale on to you. But how do they charge tax? What if it's marked as "gift" or do they charge tax according to the "value"?

Hi Andy.

Really sorry, but I ended up pulling the trigger on a new 28-75 yesterday and it arrived today...which I'm glad as all further new stock is being sold about at least £60 more than what I bought it for!

I'm sure if you listed it in the Sell forum it will be snapped up pretty quickly! All the best and thanks for the offer anyway!

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 01, 2009 14:23 as a reply to  @ pridash's post |  #10

I think the 24-70mm f/2.8L is a great walking around, shoot just about anything lens. Here's a pic from a total hack who's still learning everything:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i14.photobucket​.com …snyder160/DPP_0​027TIF.jpg (external link)

Can honestly say, my Tamron 17-50 never looked like THIS!!!

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Livinthalife
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 01, 2009 15:00 |  #11

congrats pridash! New is always more re-assuring for most people anyways ;) I will list it to sell in a bout a month or so. I did some comparison shots, Im being over critical, as this was a lot of money!) But sharpness wise, there isn't a significant difference (only at 100% do see it). The colors do seem more vivid, and the focus is certainly the most noticeable things. the size comparison is huge too! Well enjoy your new Tammy!

Thanks Dave, nice picture! I can't wait to get out mroe and use this lens. I love it so far!

http://i23.photobucket​.com …rzymala/Temp/IM​G_2592.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

http://i23.photobucket​.com …rzymala/Temp/IM​G_2593.jpg (external link)

http://i23.photobucket​.com …rzymala/Temp/IM​G_2591.jpg (external link)

-Andy-

pridash
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 01, 2009 15:06 |  #12

Thanks Andy!

I would have thought that the L would be sharper but nice to know the Tammy is excellent in that department! I done a short review on it here with pictures so let me know if they sharp as your copy.

Looking at your photos above made me remember another little niggle with the lens hood. It does appear very thin, which is one aspect, but I can't seem to get the "O" below the Tamron logo to line up with the dot on the lens thread - it's like about 1/4cm out...little annoying, but not sure if it makes much of a difference to the flare control in the real world.

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 01, 2009 17:59 |  #13

Livinthalife wrote in post #7839565 (external link)
Thanks Dave, nice picture! I can't wait to get out mroe and use this lens. I love it so far!

You bet. Enjoy the new lens. Mine became 'fun' when winter finally let go around here. Running out of indoor things to shoot at with the lens.

Head out. Takes some pics and post 'em for us to see.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

Livinthalife
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,118 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 02, 2009 00:07 |  #14

pridash wrote in post #7839599 (external link)
Looking at your photos above made me remember another little niggle with the lens hood. It does appear very thin, which is one aspect, but I can't seem to get the "O" below the Tamron logo to line up with the dot on the lens thread - it's like about 1/4cm out...little annoying, but not sure if it makes much of a difference to the flare control in the real world.

SO GET THE L!!!! haaha!!!
Your right, no difference ;)

snyderman wrote in post #7840517 (external link)
You bet. Enjoy the new lens. Mine became 'fun' when winter finally let go around here. Running out of indoor things to shoot at with the lens.

Head out. Takes some pics and post 'em for us to see.

dave

Will do!!! :)
http://i23.photobucket​.com …rzymala/Temp/IM​G_2597.jpg (external link)

http://i23.photobucket​.com …rzymala/Temp/IM​G_2582.jpg (external link)

Still have yet to get out,, but here are a few

-Andy-

Double ­ Negative
*sniffles*
10,523 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 03, 2009 17:13 |  #15

I would NEVER want to be without my trusty 24-70mm f/2.8L lens. Seriously. This thing has been all over the world with me, through rain, shine, snow, mud and everything in between and never let me down. If I need a "default" lens that'll cover most bases, this is it. The fact that it's weathersealed has been a godsend - don't underestimate it. Of course, you'll need a weathersealed body to truly enjoy this.

La Vida Leica! (external link)LitPixel Galleries (external link) -- 1v-HS/1d Mk IIn w/E-1 & Op/Tech straps
15mm f/2.8, 14mm f/2.8L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L II, 135mm f/2.0L
16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Extender EF 1.4x II & 2x II

sponsored links

2,706 views & 0 likes for this thread
Some friendly advice on a new walkaround. (24-70)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.