Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Apr 2009 (Tuesday) 13:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #221 - Inside Home

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 28, 2009 13:20 |  #1

Challenge #221 - Inside Home

Submissions

IMAGE: http://sites.google.com/site/rpolitsr/r_polit_8/pictures/potnaux/221_challenge_thumbs_all.jpg

Many thanks to all the participants.
I had less entries on my previous challenge as host. Now I have more beautiful pictures for judging and that means a harder decision. Well... to the point.

As always, these lines reflect my own preferences. It is my hope to be as fair as possible.
  • Gamlejohn – G10 – Oatmeal
    Beautiful elements to start the inside home theme. A nice framing of the young Mom concentrated on the bowl on the background and the main subject on the Baby, interested on everything around him, not enough hungry after a few spoons full of oat.
    Initially, I thought there was a slight focus blur or motion blur on the baby’s face, but a closer look made me think that some extra sharpening to compensate for the resized image is all what you need there.
    By the way, he will share the camera with you quite soon :).

Welcome to the forums and to the challenges!. A nice coincidence, I dropped my first post on a G-series challenge when I joined here.
    -
  • Maureen Souza – Pro1 – My Amish Quilt
    Are your ancestors connected with Amish people? They have beautiful handcrafts, either to build a collection or to use them as models for your own hobby. Either way, it is a lovely quilt and the picture, as usual, in sharp focus. The subtle shadows on the white parts are interesting and require a careful balance of light. I cannot infer the size of the quilt from the picture. I can imagine it hanging on a wall or covering a bed. A small glimpse to its surroundings might help with my curiosity.
    -
  • Mike53545 – G10 – Pizza time
    A warm pizza is always welcome at any home, and the way you made your picture almost surrealist with two main elements is clever. I like the blur produced by the rotating dish and the sense of heat that irradiates from the heater due to the red light that it casts on everything.
    I spent some time guessing the exact setup for your image before I decided that it is better to ask about it.
    -
  • Michael Wells – G9 – Teaching
    The white light from the window and the warm light from the right create a great mood for your picture. The expression of their faces transmits both concentration and amusement. Music is essential, I think.
    You are lucky to have at home music from real instruments.
    I can imagine how the clarinet fills the house with its music once the rehearsal is over.
    I am wondering about the possibilities, may I ask about them? Who is at home? The teacher? The student? May be both of them?
    -
  • midnight_rider – G10 – Tangled up in yesteryear.
    Black on black with a splash of golden letters and the subtle color of the film strip. A nice camera location and zoom setting for the capture. The volume, that is produced by the shiny lines of the body and lens and by the soft light reflected from the film, makes the picture simple, yet difficult to achieve. Simple as the operation of the T50, with only three buttons, including the shutter release. Certainly a lovely feature for us, users of high end digital cameras that are entangled with more buttons than fingers we have.
    -
  • liannallama – G10 – Proud Uncle
    The sequence from right to left of the frames with pictures of elder relatives, the happy and proud uncle and the peaceful sleeping baby describes the continuity and warmth of a lovely home quite well.
    The light from the window and the darkened background help on the description. Beautiful picture for 'inside home' too.
    -
  • Kevan_G9 – G9 – Summer Living Room...
    Ah! The ‘outdoor from inside the fence’ that I was waiting, and a nice one.
    Where I live, the gardens are green all the year; I can imagine the big difference of this place on winter or summer though. You found the way to show that this living room, windy and sunny, is ready to receive people from inside the home or, as we know a little about you, a thirsty raider returning from a bicycle raid with some new photos :)
    The only minor drawback, the dog is slightly cropped out, I think.
    -
  • Car – G7 – Cuddle on the couch
    Mighty, Big, Black. Certainly, I may stay behind the fence even after seen the cute girl snuggling to the dark giant. The position of the camera, close to the floor, helps to show the relative sizes of these dwellers of another warm home and the confidence of the young girl helps to understand that there is a lovely pet there. You achieved a precise balance of the light from the window and the fill flash.
    -
  • kitacanon – G3 – Inside Home: ...is he asleep yet....?
    I was missing a picture focused on the small figures that are part of our homes.
    The diffused light from the left produces a pleasant soft look to the picture.
    While the larger figures remain an important part of the picture, the empty space in the top center and the natural darkening of the top corners draws the attention to the smaller ceramic figures. I’m not sure if you was after that specific effect, but I liked the result as I see it.
    -

IMAGE: http://sites.google.com/site/rpolitsr/r_polit_8/pictures/potnaux/221_challenge_thumbs_win.jpg

Michael Wells, over to you, congratulations. Good luck with the new challenge.

Regards

rafael

People, unusual objects, your favorite places, everything works as log as it is inside the home.
Better if you have a tripod or the camera firmly still atop a table to shot creatively in available light, but flash or special lighting is also allowed.

STICK TO THE RULES (see below). Size is extremely important. A good title is always nice. Do not forget your camera model.

Enjoy

To submit, click Post Reply and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT (external link), 4th of May 2009.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera (G1, G2, G3, G5, G6, G7, G9, G10) or Pro 1 only.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be EXACTLY 800 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the message subject line.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature
on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging"
(about a third of the way down the page).
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
Gamlejohn
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 28, 2009 14:48 |  #2

Oatmeal

G10

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,243 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 29, 2009 10:43 as a reply to  @ Gamlejohn's post |  #3

My Amish Quilt

Pro 1

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Mike53545
874 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 29, 2009 15:29 as a reply to  @ Maureen Souza's post |  #4

Pizza time

G10

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i86.photobucket​.com/albums/k95/mgnpho​to/pizza.jpg (external link)

Couple of Canons, and a couple L's :cool:

My website: www.mgnphoto.com (external link)
facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.co​m/MGNphoto (external link)

Michael ­ Wells
932 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 01, 2009 16:16 |  #5

Teaching

G9

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Michael Wells
G9, 5D,Grip,70-200 2.8 IS,24-70,400 5.6

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 01, 2009 16:54 as a reply to  @ Michael Wells's post |  #6

Tangled up in yesteryear.

G10

HOSTED PHOTO

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

liannallama
113 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 02, 2009 08:33 |  #7

Proud Uncle

G10 ~ ISO 80 ~ f/2.8 ~ 1/25 ~ Portrait Mode

HOSTED PHOTO

~Lianne & her Canon G10 with PSCS2~
my blog: http://llamatales.blog​spot.com (external link)
C/C always welcomed and appreciated!

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 02, 2009 15:18 as a reply to  @ liannallama's post |  #8

Summer Living Room...

G9:

HOSTED PHOTO

kevan's lens (external link)

Car
627 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2008

May 02, 2009 17:51 as a reply to  @ Kevan's post |  #9

Cuddle on the couch

G7

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i214.photobucke​t.com …otos/cuddleonth​ecouch.jpg (external link)

kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2006

May 03, 2009 20:18 |  #10

Inside Home: ...is he asleep yet....?

G3, ISO 200, 1/8 sec @ f2.2, FL9.1

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

My Canon kit 450D/s90; Canon lenses 18-55 IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5....Nikon kit: D610; 28-105/3.5-4.5, 75-300/4.5-5.6 AF, 50/1.8D Nikkors, Tamron 80-210; MF Nikkors: 50/2K, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 SeriesE, 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor (AF locked), 85mm/1.8K-AI, 105/2.5 AIS/P.C, 135/2.8K/Q.C, 180/2.8 ED, 200/4Q/AIS, 300/4.5H-AI, ++ Tamron 70-210/3.8-4, Vivitar/Kiron 28/2, ser.1 70-210/3.5, ser.1 28-90; Vivitar/Komine and Samyang 28/2.8; 35mm Nikon F/FM/FE2, Rebel 2K...HTC RE UWA camera

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 04, 2009 09:31 |  #11

Many thanks to all that submitted their pictures.

The challenge #221 – Inside Home is now CLOSED for judging.

Winners will be announced as soon as possible.

Post your comments after my NEXT post announcing the winners, please

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 04, 2009 23:45 |  #12

Honestly, I wished to have nine top places to fill with the pictures submitted.
I had a hard time reducing them to three.

Challenge #221 - Inside Home - is already judged and the WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Scroll to the first post to see them.

Your comments are more than welcome now that the winners were picked

Thank you very much

rafael

jesseli
70 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 05, 2009 00:15 |  #13

Congratulation to the winners.

Thanks to all the participants and also rafael for hosting the challenge.

Nice pictures and nice judgement by rafael and I learnt a lot from all of you.

I love all the pictures of warm home.

G9, 30D, 7D, EF20/2.8, EF28/1.8, EF50/1.8II, EF20-35/3.5-4.5, EF28-135/3.5-5.6IS, Sigma AF70-200/2.8, 105/2.8Macro, 12-24/3.5-4.5, 2X APO, 420EX, 580EX, MT-24EX, EF12, EF15, etc.

My Windows Live Album (external link)

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,243 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

May 05, 2009 00:36 |  #14

Congrats Michael, Liannallama and kitacanon.....great entries.

Rafael, the work you did to post the photos with their owners and the winners is outstanding...thanks for all that hard work. To answer your questions...no, i have no ancestors who are Amish. I bought the quilt from an Amish family who sold their work out of their basement when I was on vacation in Pennsylvania some years back. It hangs solo on the end of my hallway wall where I can enjoy it every day.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2006

May 05, 2009 01:16 |  #15

Thank you Rafael for the challenge and your critiques...I look forward to the next challenge for using the G3...I've only had it for a couple of weeks...
You encouraged me to "test" the G3's ability to shoot in low light...and as I do with new lenses for my DSLRs, I often sit up in bed and practice focusing on these figures, and others I've arranged on the shelves...so, this shot wasn't much of a photograph as it is a theater set :)
...and I did arrange the dolls to get the effect you recognized...the large looming over the small...and I'm happy it got across...most photography I shoot is not so "set up", so this was fun...and I'm very happy with the results this camera puts out...
Thanks again...

My Canon kit 450D/s90; Canon lenses 18-55 IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5....Nikon kit: D610; 28-105/3.5-4.5, 75-300/4.5-5.6 AF, 50/1.8D Nikkors, Tamron 80-210; MF Nikkors: 50/2K, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 SeriesE, 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor (AF locked), 85mm/1.8K-AI, 105/2.5 AIS/P.C, 135/2.8K/Q.C, 180/2.8 ED, 200/4Q/AIS, 300/4.5H-AI, ++ Tamron 70-210/3.8-4, Vivitar/Kiron 28/2, ser.1 70-210/3.5, ser.1 28-90; Vivitar/Komine and Samyang 28/2.8; 35mm Nikon F/FM/FE2, Rebel 2K...HTC RE UWA camera

sponsored links

8,234 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #221 - Inside Home
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.