Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Apr 2009 (Wednesday) 19:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma Calibration

Grimes
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 12, 2009 15:04 |  #16

Sigma calibrated my 30mm very quickly, but it was still off when I got it back. So I ended up returning the lens. I think they could do a lot more business if they just improved the "keeper rate" of their lenses.

Alex
5DMKII | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40L f/4 | 24-105 f/4 IS | 40 f/2.8

sponsored links
thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,340 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2007

May 12, 2009 15:14 |  #17

Yeah, for sure, they'd do more than just a lot more.:shock:

My Flickr (external link)
Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

ThomasOwenM
THREAD ­ STARTER
959 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 12, 2009 17:29 |  #18

Grimes wrote in post #7908036 (external link)
Sigma calibrated my 30mm very quickly, but it was still off when I got it back. So I ended up returning the lens. I think they could do a lot more business if they just improved the "keeper rate" of their lenses.

I agree. I would think it would cost them less money too. I'm in love with my Sigma 30 mm f/1.4. I've gotten some of my best shots ever with that lens. The Siggy 50 1.4 has been a big disappointment thus far. All will be forgiven, however, if they get it spot on for me.

===============
1D Mark III, Canon 50L f/1.2, Sigma 30 mm f/1.4 lens, Canon 85 mm f/1.8, 430 EX flash, ST-E2 Transmitter, Quantaray QSX 9500 tripod, Manfrotto monopod

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 12, 2009 18:33 |  #19

One of the things it's always important to remember is that lenses and bodies are mass produced within a certain specification.

Take the micro adjust increments for example. A lenses spec might be +/-3. That's a pretty wide range. Now your camera body also has a +/-3 spec as these just aren't simple film cameras, there's many places in your digital body that can be areas for discrepancy. Your body is -2, your lens is -3. Both are in spec but together you have -5 and wide open at 1.4, that's out of focus. You send your lens to [Insert manufacturer of choice] and your body to [Insert manufacturer of choice] but both come back within spec!

Bastards!

Well, maybe not all the time eh?

I've had pretty darn equal luck with my Canon's as I have had with my Sigma's.
If it wasn't that way, micro adjustments wouldn't be necessary and wouldn't be that popular.

Mike
some shots @ Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

Jpiano
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 20, 2009 15:04 |  #20

Where did you guys get your lens serviced? NY? or did you go with C.R.I.S. in Arizona? I need to get my lens fixed it is front focusing but dont know who to send it to. Im in CA. so thats why i figured CRIS.

Piano:DMan
Flickr (external link)

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,340 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2007

May 20, 2009 15:48 |  #21

I'm in Seattle, took 1 week, sent it to NY

My Flickr (external link)
Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

Jpiano
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 02, 2009 10:49 |  #22

Has it come back yet? is it focusing spot on now?

ThomasOwenM wrote in post #7828332 (external link)
First time for everything. I've sent a lens back for calibration, my new Sigma 50 mm f/1.4. I escaped that monster with my Sigma 30 mm f/1.4. It's been spot-on since day one. I had hoped to have the same luck with the 50 mm lens, but no such luck. You can click on my name and see sample shots in another thread if you want.

I'm really hoping the 50 is spot on after this calibration. However, if it's not, I'll send it back again. I've decided I'm not accepting anything other than a perfectly focusing lens. If becomes as good as my 30, which I love, I'll be happy. I'll send it back however many times it takes.

There's one thing I'm wondering about. If Sigma can't get a lens calibrated spot-on, do they replace it with another one? That's what a lot of warranty companies do. If they can't fix a device, they replace it. If I end up sending this lens back a bunch of times, I would hope they would get me another one, check its calibration, and just send it to me.

I really hope Sigma handles their quality control issues. They make some excellent lenses. I could not be happier with my 30 mm f/1.4. I would think it would be less costly for Sigma to get the calibration right to begin with than to have to take a bunch of lenses back and then recalibrate them.

If my 50 mm Sigma ends up as good as my 30, it's a slam dunk that I'm keeping it and getting rid of my Canon 50 mm f/1.4. However, straight out of the box, the Canon one wins by a mile.

Piano:DMan
Flickr (external link)

ThomasOwenM
THREAD ­ STARTER
959 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 02, 2009 19:08 as a reply to  @ Jpiano's post |  #23

It's back and seemed to be focusing spot-on according to some of my tests with a calibration chart. However, I used it in a shoot and was disappointed by some shots that were too soft. In that same shoot I got some great shots with my 85 mm f/1.8 and my Sigma 30 mm f/1.4. I have the day off tomorrow and am going to do some more test shots. The soft shots may have been my fault. Maybe I'm just not used to using this lens. I'll likely post some sample shots. I still have my Canon 50 mm f/1.4 to compare it to.

The jury's still out...............

===============
1D Mark III, Canon 50L f/1.2, Sigma 30 mm f/1.4 lens, Canon 85 mm f/1.8, 430 EX flash, ST-E2 Transmitter, Quantaray QSX 9500 tripod, Manfrotto monopod

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 02, 2009 19:47 |  #24

Jpiano wrote in post #7907888 (external link)
Wow! That is ridiculous!

Yeah, but it works beautifully and the only reason I'd ever buy the L is for its AF, not optics. That Sigma is one of the steals of lenses.

Christian

ThomasOwenM
THREAD ­ STARTER
959 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 02, 2009 20:47 |  #25

google wrote in post #7837101 (external link)
They asked you to pay for return shipping? That's odd. I've sent my lens to them twice and they didn't ask for return shipping. All my work was done under warranty.

It must have been a mistake. When the lens came back, it came with my $10 returned.

===============

ThomasOwenM
THREAD ­ STARTER
959 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 04, 2009 00:01 as a reply to  @ ThomasOwenM's post |  #26

All right, here are some test shots comparing my Sigma 50 mm f/1.4 to my Canon 50 mm f/1.4. These are all after the calibration of my Sigma. If you want to see my shots from before the calibration, those are available here:

http://tommeinenphotog​raphy.com/50mm/ (external link)

Here are the post calibration test shots. I'm showing them at f/1.4, 1.8, and 2.0. If you want to also see the f/1.6 and f/2.8 shots, those can be found here:
http://tommeinenphotog​raphy.com/50mm2/ (external link)

I'm also going to show my calibration chart test shots in a followup post.

Here we go............

First, let me show you my focus points:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Sigma at f/1.4:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Canon at f/1.4:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Sigma at f/1.8:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Canon at f/1.8:
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

Sigma at f/2.0:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Canon at f/2.0:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

I welcome comments. Based on this, which lens would you say is best? (My post with the calibration chart is coming up also.)

===============

ThomasOwenM
THREAD ­ STARTER
959 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 04, 2009 00:07 as a reply to  @ ThomasOwenM's post |  #27

Here are my test shots with the calibration chart. First, let me show the focus points for each lens. I hope my setup was good. CC is welcome. If you want to see the shots at more apertures, I've put them here:
http://tommeinenphotog​raphy.com/50mm2/calibr​ation.html (external link)

Sigma focus points:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Canon focus points:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Sigma at f/1.4:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Canon at f/1.4:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Sigma at f/1.8:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Canon at f/1.8:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

===============

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 04, 2009 02:16 |  #28

ThomasOwenM wrote in post #8046385 (external link)
All right, here are some test shots comparing my Sigma 50 mm f/1.4 to my Canon 50 mm f/1.4. These are all after the calibration of my Sigma. If you want to see my shots from before the calibration, those are available here:

Here are the post calibration test shots. I'm showing them at f/1.4, 1.8, and 2.0. If you want to also see the f/1.6 and f/2.8 shots, those can be found here:
http://tommeinenphotog​raphy.com/50mm2/ (external link)

I welcome comments. Based on this, which lens would you say is best? (My post with the calibration chart is coming up also.)

The Sigma has slightly better contrast and resolution at f/1.4. Didn't look all that closely at f/2...

Two things: first, I'm guessing these have been reduced to web-size, which throws away alot of information. Second, these are all centered compositions, and even the 50/1.8 does well on center sharpness - it's actually a teensy bit sharper than the Sigma until around f/2.8.

Yamaha451
466 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 04, 2009 09:52 |  #29

It would be easier to see if you posted 100% crops of each, I can't' tell a difference with those tiny pics.

I just recently got this lens also, and the focus at 1.4 is hit or miss, but mostly I believe that is from the micro thin DOF on a 5D. At 2.2 my pictures are probably the sharpest I've ever seen.

I've been trying to figure this out with my lens, but do you notice that all your pictures taken at 1.4 are a half stop underexposed compared to 1.8? Mine are all underexposed at 1.4, which does concern me...

-Mark-
5DII||35L|Sigma 85 1.4|24-105L| 580EX IIhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=765323

jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 04, 2009 10:54 |  #30

It has been several years but when I sent a 20mm for calibration, Sigma replaced it with a new one. No questions asked.

Jim

My Gear

sponsored links

8,020 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma Calibration
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.