Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 May 2009 (Friday) 21:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF-S 10-22mm w/ 50D shock.....

jbrown7815
731 posts
Joined May 2008

May 02, 2009 05:58 |  #16

This thread is worthless without pics :)

~Jesse~

sponsored links
petercee
74 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 02, 2009 06:07 |  #17

Anyone used the Tokina 12-24 and had similar results (on 50D)?

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,185 posts
Gallery: 225 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

May 02, 2009 11:22 |  #18

My 10-22 has the red ring...;)

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,185 posts
Gallery: 225 photos
Joined Jul 2004

May 02, 2009 11:28 |  #19

jbrown7815 wrote in post #7843143 (external link)
This thread is worthless without pics :)

Here's one of mine...

IMAGE: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/184/484002800_b929b8d69b_o.jpg

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

Grentz
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 02, 2009 13:42 |  #20

The 10-22 is a beauty. Its expensive, but well worth it for crop cameras in my book.

Search.TechIslands.com (external link) - Photography Shopping Search Engine

www.TechIslands.com (external link) - News and Reviews

My Gear List - 60D

By-tor
Goldmember
3,275 posts
Gallery: 797 photos
Joined Jan 2009

May 02, 2009 13:52 as a reply to  @ Grentz's post |  #21

Here are some shots using the 10-22mm lens at the recent Langley Open House.

IMAGE: http://i44.tinypic.com/2larpm0.jpg

IMAGE: http://i44.tinypic.com/14a8rde.jpg

IMAGE: http://i43.tinypic.com/317h654.jpg

Fujifilm: X-Pro2, X100F, X-T30, 16mm f2.8, 35mm & 50mm f2, 18-55mm, 55-200mm
Olympus: E-M10 II & 14-150mm, E-PL5 & 14-42mm EZ
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players performers and portrayers.

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Oct 2008

May 02, 2009 14:12 |  #22

kingdaddy wrote in post #7841934 (external link)
I thought all Wide angle lenses are inhearntly sarp because of their DOF.

Anyway I love my 10-22

Eh..not so much, Wide angles can have issues with corner sharpness...its easier to make an APS-C one sharper for this reason [Reduced image circle] and theoretically the EF-S short back focus design should enable some excellent wides...which it has..the 10-22 is definately not a bad lens!

low note lee wrote:
I'm guessing from your signature the other is the Sigma 10-20?

The Sigma is great, dont get me wrong, its greatness comes from its price [Its the cheapest one out there] and the fact its 80-90% as good as the 10-22 and 11-16

The Tokina 11-16 if i remember right is the absolute sharpest, followed by the 10-22, and the 12-24 is up there as well, the Sigma is a close but distant 4th or third, but usually gets recommended up near the top because of the price/performance ratio, considering you can get one for less than $300 if you're patient, its a hard to beat value

I have an excellent copy and I find it a tough decision to part with it, I love it, and I NEED it, but at the same time after using my Tamron 28-75 and my 100-400 it is -not- as critically sharp as either [Of course this isnt a "fair" comparison I guess..] at the wide-middle ends [Its a lot sharper near the long end] and sometimes I do feel I'd like to have the f/2.8 aperture, So I'm debating on grabbing a Tokina 11-16 to add to my system...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

will-san
523 posts
Joined May 2009

May 09, 2009 02:27 |  #23

Here are a few shots I took with the 10-22 on my wife's 20D. it's a nice lens - I am keen to try the Tokina 11-16 though.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3348/3514264167_ec929ac111.jpg?v=0

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3603/3514251479_20f071516f.jpg?v=0

Flickr (external link)
Gear List

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,815 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 07, 2009 07:29 |  #24

Why doesn't the 10-22 get a better optical score on this review?

http://www.photozone.d​e …non_1022_3545_5​0d?start=2 (external link)

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 07, 2009 10:12 |  #25

For one, it's harder to test UW's. Secondly, extreme borders are never that great on UW's, especially zooms, no matter their cost. Then there is copy variations although the 10-22 doesn't seem to suffer very much from this, based on what one reads here; I don't recall anybody complaining about 10-22 softness, for example. Most people will also use it stopped down, where borders and center sharpness usually improves although the 10-22 center resolution is very good in the center wide open.

Before I recently sold mine I tried it on my 5D. The center sharpness is incredible but, being designed for a smaller image sensor, the extreme borders and borders were not acceptable to me. It workded without vignetting between 16-22mm. I sold it and bought the 17-40.

UW's are lenses where "tests" don't reflect real life results, imo. The Canon 10-22 is a killer lens, imo.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,355 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 07, 2009 20:54 |  #26

bohdank wrote in post #8065136 (external link)
For one, it's harder to test UW's. Secondly, extreme borders are never that great on UW's, especially zooms, no matter their cost. Then there is copy variations although the 10-22 doesn't seem to suffer very much from this, based on what one reads here; I don't recall anybody complaining about 10-22 softness, for example. Most people will also use it stopped down, where borders and center sharpness usually improves although the 10-22 center resolution is very good in the center wide open.

Before I recently sold mine I tried it on my 5D. The center sharpness is incredible but, being designed for a smaller image sensor, the extreme borders and borders were not acceptable to me. It workded without vignetting between 16-22mm. I sold it and bought the 17-40.

UW's are lenses where "tests" don't reflect real life results, imo. The Canon 10-22 is a killer lens, imo.

I find that with a UWA 90% of it is the look and dramatic perspective more than absolute sharpness

More important is flare control imho....Flare control and contrast [Which are related] are important in a UWA picture...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 07, 2009 21:16 |  #27

UW are generally used for dramatic shots usually involving foreground backround relationships (large DOF) or very close in, which require sharpness for convincing effect, imo.

Flare control on an UW is far more important than on longer lenses, imo. It's a deal breaker.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

GoneTomorrow
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 07, 2009 21:18 |  #28

It's not too shabby on the 40D either! I love how I can manage slower shutter speeds hand held with this lens.

EDIT: everyone's posting, so here's a recent one from mine:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i4.photobucket.​com …GoneTomorrow/IM​G_7946.jpg (external link)

Canon 5D Mk II (35/1.4L | 24-70/2.8L | 135/2L | Euro Nifty | 430EX II | Gitzo G1125 + 494RC2) flickr (external link)

I bought a new camera. It's very advanced - you don't even need it. ~Steven Wright

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,815 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 07, 2009 23:30 |  #29

Damn.....I hope camera store has one in stock tommorrow !

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

hammmerhead
312 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jun 08, 2009 00:26 |  #30

James.D wrote in post #8064590 (external link)
Why doesn't the 10-22 get a better optical score on this review?

http://www.photozone.d​e …non_1022_3545_5​0d?start=2 (external link)

I dont get a lot of Photozone reviews. The majority of the L zoom lenses tested only score 3 stars optically, not counting the 70-200. PZ seems to be under the wing of the third party guys....and who doesnt like an underdog.....
Check this out.

Photozone:
The Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM delivered a very sound performance with a combination of very decent build quality and very good if not impressive optical results. If anything vignetting at wide-open aperture could be better. The center performance is excellent throughout the range with generally good borders. The level of distortions is surprisingly low and CAs are quite well controlled.

Naturally it makes sense to compare the lens to a serious competitor like the Tokina AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X Pro DX. All in all the resolution figures are very similar. The Canon has less CAs and a better contra light performance whereas the Tokina shows less vignetting. The build quality of the Tokina is also a little better (the Canon is more than "good enough" though) and finally the Tokina is substantially cheaper (420 EUR vs 670 EUR locally).
So which one to choose ? Well ... that's still up to you. :-) Optical Quality:

IMAGE: http://www.photozone.de/images/8Reviews/rating/3star.gif

Mechanical Quality:
IMAGE: http://www.photozone.de/images/8Reviews/rating/3hstar.gif
Price/Performance:
IMAGE: http://www.photozone.de/images/8Reviews/rating/4star.gif
Compare it to the 12-24????

The Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX is currently the best ultra-wide angle zoom lens for Canon EOS APS-C DSLRs. The resolution is impressively high throughout the zoom range (albeit a short one) and across the image field. Vignetting is really only a problem at 11mm @ f/2.8 but otherwise the issue is very well controlled. The level of distortions is comparatively low. Typical for most Tokina lenses it has one weakness: lateral CAs which are very high at all settings. The build quality is on a very high level and its a joy to handle the lens out there. All-in-all a very sound package especially when considering the quite affordable price (around 600EUR/US$).
Optical Quality:
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
Mechanical Quality:
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
Price/Performance:
IMAGE: http://www.photozone.de/images/8Reviews/rating/5star.gif

Why didnt they mention the flare issue that so many mention on here?

sponsored links

6,874 views & 0 likes for this thread
EF-S 10-22mm w/ 50D shock.....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.