Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 02 May 2009 (Saturday) 01:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help - scam?

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 06, 2009 12:25 |  #46

Well here's another turn in the story: he sent the lenses back without even telling me.

sponsored links
louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 06, 2009 12:31 |  #47

I'm assuming he just wanted to use the lenses for the wedding he shot on saturday? Which explains why he wanted it there so fast and why he waited until monday to ship them back.

OC ­ Photoguy
245 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 06, 2009 12:36 |  #48

wow, that's pretty terrible.

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 40D, Canon G7
Canon 50mm f/1.4, 17-40mm f/4 L
[COLOR=blue]Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS,

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 06, 2009 12:38 |  #49

tested both the lenses and they seem to work fine. I called him and no answer.

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 06, 2009 12:45 as a reply to  @ louieabellera's post |  #50

I will only trade within driving distance ( a 1 state circle around mine ) just in case I need to deliver a good ole country ass woopin.
He would have to pay me for shipping and lens rental.

I never, Not once claimed to read your post...

Mk1Racer
Goldmember
1,735 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 06, 2009 13:09 |  #51

louieabellera wrote in post #7868905 (external link)
Well here's another turn in the story: he sent the lenses back without even telling me.

Wow, that really is low. I guess you were right in your initial assessment of him as a scammer, and I apologize for criticizing you for it. And I'm guessing he didn't include anything to cover your out-of-pocket costs to ship the lenses to him.

You said in your initial post, it was a member here. At this point in time, I would out them for sure.

7D, BG-E7, BGE2x2 (both FS), 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS (FS), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mk I, 70-300 f/4-5.6L, 550EX, Kenko Pro300 1.4xTC

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 06, 2009 13:14 |  #52

Nope. Nothing. I messaged a mod and asked what I should do.

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 06, 2009 13:17 |  #53

louieabellera wrote in post #7869230 (external link)
Nope. Nothing. I messaged a mod and asked what I should do.

I believe they tell you that you use the buy and sell portion of the forum at your own risk.
However I will tell you that it would be nice of you to divulge the name so others can stay away.

Although you did get your lenses back so I would say the person merely had a change of heart about ditching the Iphone. At least you got yours back

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 06, 2009 13:19 |  #54

Well I'd love to out him, but a mod contacted me a couple days ago about 'lynching' other people on the forums. So I'll wait to hear what he says.

midnight_rider
"Thrown under the bus."
5,413 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 06, 2009 13:26 |  #55

louieabellera wrote in post #7869262 (external link)
Well I'd love to out him, but a mod contacted me a couple days ago about 'lynching' other people on the forums. So I'll wait to hear what he says.

Well I have seen first hand that you can not please everyone all of the time so I suppose they do not want to interrupt someones deal because of a run in with a jerk.
There may have been countless transactions that this seller has had with great result and this is an isolated incident.
i have a ton of online feedback and even I have had to back out of a couple of deals. One recently, I was trying to sell a lens but while packing it there was a little issue. The lens still abides by the laws of gravity and floors do not get softer just because something is coming at it, so I had to refund someone their money. They could have been pissed off about it and called me endlessly (HINT) but instead they understood and they were very nice.
There is an old saying, all is well that ends well. You have your lenses and they are in the same condition right? So be happy

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,492 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 06, 2009 13:30 |  #56

Steps to follow when dealing with forum sales/trades:

1) What kind of post count and history does the member have? (content and longevity)
2) What kind of feedback on the forum does the member have?
3) What other feedback can they supply? Verify those, like if ebay reference given, use the contact member option to talk to them through ebay.
4) Check out their website(s).
5) Google their email address or forum ID to see if you can glean more info from other sites.

Just some of the steps I go through when deciding on a deal.

I definitely think in this case it would not be very bad to divulge the ID because at this point, I also agree with all the emails and the final result, it was nothing more than "I want to use some lenses this weekend".

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Mk1Racer
Goldmember
1,735 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 06, 2009 13:34 |  #57

Based on the information you've provided, I would hardly call it a 'lynching'. Post it up objectively, as information, and let other members make their own decisions. I really don't know why we're not allowed to leave negative feedback for someone, if we can document why we're leaving it.

7D, BG-E7, BGE2x2 (both FS), 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS (FS), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mk I, 70-300 f/4-5.6L, 550EX, Kenko Pro300 1.4xTC

louieabellera
THREAD ­ STARTER
154 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 06, 2009 13:40 |  #58

Yeah I dont either.

Pete, the mod, just told me not to publically out him. So I dont really know what else I could do.

NeutronBoy
Goldmember
2,049 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 06, 2009 13:43 |  #59

I agree with Mk1Racer - all should know about this person. You are only as good as your word and this guy is no good. Buying through the internet is risky, but POTN is a community and all should know.

But in the end, we should abide by the moderators word.

5D Mark II, 40D, 350d
Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II L | Canon 100-400 IS L [COLOR=black]| Canon 24-70 L | Canon 100mm Macro f2.8 | Canon 50 f1.4| Canon 10-22 | Canon MP-E 65 | Rokinon 14mm f2.8 | Sigma 17 - 70 macro
MT-24 & 430 flashes | other junk

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 06, 2009 13:45 |  #60

Mk1Racer wrote in post #7869369 (external link)
Based on the information you've provided, I would hardly call it a 'lynching'. Post it up objectively, as information, and let other members make their own decisions. I really don't know why we're not allowed to leave negative feedback for someone, if we can document why we're leaving it.

It may well have turned into just that had the other side of this transaction been named publically and then turned out to be ok. Bad reputations tends to stick regardless of the actual events.

As stated before, transactions on POTN are on a "buyer beware" basis (the same as craigs list/eBay/whatever).

We don't allow negative feedback here because people may be tempted to complain about pretty much anything (not responding to emails within a few minutes, not sending goods quickly enough, not giving tracking numbers, etc, etc). Unavoidable events do get in the way of personal lives on occasion. If we gave people the option of leaving negative feedback, then they invariably will do so (jumping the gun in many cases).

But, you may say, in this case, it's an open-and-shut case. But as with many things, there's no telling when the end of the story is (it's sometimes later than you first assume).

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

sponsored links

6,542 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help - scam?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.