Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Apr 2005 (Tuesday) 16:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the REAL Battery life on 350d / Rebel XT

puttick
809 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2002

Apr 19, 2005 16:04 |  #1

I was a little surprised to see a smaller capacity battery in the 350d / Rebel XT, compared to the 300d / Rebel, 10d and 20d. The NB-2LH is rated at 720mAh compared to the BP-511 at 1100mAh, or about 2/3 the capacity. It is annoying as I already have 2 extra BP-511s, but the real question is - what is the battery life like under REAL conditions?

Can anyone who has a 350d, as well as a 300d or a 20d, give a comparison of the battery life? None of the reviews give a real-world view on this.

Using my 300d, using auto power-off, with 17-40 L & 70 -200 L lenses, LCD on for 5secs, average exposures, very few with flash:

- If I am shooting sporadically, one BP-511 can last for weeks!

- If I am on a trip and shooting all day I might get 200 shots on one fully charged battery, less if I review on the LCD frequently

I have 2 Canon BP-511s (one is 4 years old!) and 1 Uniross copy, and find them indistinguishable in use.

The 350d looks very good and is great value, so I am considering trading - but I would be unhappy if the battery life is a limiting factor. I don't want the 2-battery grip, as for me the smaller size is a good feature.

Nigel Puttick
North Yorkshire, UK

sponsored links
patrickpkt
53 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 19, 2005 16:12 |  #2

I've shot about 2000 photos on my XT on just 3 charges (and still have room to go on there). This is with the standard 2 second review, probably about 20% of the shots with flash, and maybe 15% shot with RAW+JPG (the rest just fine large JPG). So, to be specific, I'm seeing about 700-800 shots per charge, shot over a period of 3-5 days.

7D, Tamron 150-600, Sigma 30, 12-24, 24-70, 70-200, Canon 85/1.8

puttick
THREAD ­ STARTER
809 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2002

Apr 19, 2005 16:38 as a reply to  @ patrickpkt's post |  #3

patrickpkt wrote:
I've shot about 2000 photos on my XT on just 3 charges (and still have room to go on there). This is with the standard 2 second review, probably about 20% of the shots with flash, and maybe 15% shot with RAW+JPG (the rest just fine large JPG). So, to be specific, I'm seeing about 700-800 shots per charge, shot over a period of 3-5 days.

Well, I'm suitably impressed. That is better than I have experienced with the 300d.

Nigel Puttick
North Yorkshire, UK

jobber73
86 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 19, 2005 16:43 |  #4

Yeah, I'd say my experience is comparable.

Around 600 shots with 2 sec. review per battery charge.

cactusclay
Goldmember
1,610 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 19, 2005 16:48 |  #5

Hummm

robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
9,462 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Apr 19, 2005 18:12 |  #6

puttick wrote:
The 350d looks very good and is great value, so I am considering trading - but I would be unhappy if the battery life is a limiting factor. I don't want the 2-battery grip, as for me the smaller size is a good feature.

One of the ways that Canon got the 350D to be so small is by using a smaller battery.

---Bob Gross---

Anteros
114 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 19, 2005 18:21 as a reply to  @ robertwgross's post |  #7

I think I'm averaging somewhere around 300 photos per charge with an 8 second review time.

I'm very impressed with the low power consumption of the 350d.

pradeep1
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Apr 19, 2005 22:29 |  #8

I am averaging around 600 shots on a full charge.

Please view my portfolio (external link).

roanjohn
Goldmember
3,791 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Apr 19, 2005 22:30 |  #9

Battery life is not an issue with the XT.......it'll keep on ticking.......

Ro1

www.pbase.com/roanjohn (external link)

mr.photoguy
Goldmember
1,012 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 20, 2005 05:29 |  #10

Wouldn't the life of the battery also depend on the frequency of use of the camera.
Do all of you shoot EVERYDAY, or do you shoot EVERY OTHER DAY.

I recently got 2 full 1 GIG CF cards worth of shots, out of my 20D with the 511A battery, plus about an extra 10 shots. Each gig with Raw shots, about 220 shots all together + mybe 20 jpgs. I would say all together about 250 images on one charge. I try to run the battery down till the camera shuts off.

How often does everyone shoot, and approx. how many shots do you take per day.

Bruce
~~Your learn a lot more when your camera is out of hybernation....~~
my pbase page (external link)
C20D
10mm 2.5

pradeep1
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Apr 20, 2005 08:26 as a reply to  @ mr.photoguy's post |  #11

mr.photoguy wrote:
Wouldn't the life of the battery also depend on the frequency of use of the camera.
Do all of you shoot EVERYDAY, or do you shoot EVERY OTHER DAY.

I recently got 2 full 1 GIG CF cards worth of shots, out of my 20D with the 511A battery, plus about an extra 10 shots. Each gig with Raw shots, about 220 shots all together + mybe 20 jpgs. I would say all together about 250 images on one charge. I try to run the battery down till the camera shuts off.

I've got family visiting these past few days. They have little cute kids, so I am shooting about 250+ photos a day. So far since last Friday, I've shot 1200 photos. I've charged my XT's battery three times, the last time for today's shooting.

Please view my portfolio (external link).

jobber73
86 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 20, 2005 12:37 as a reply to  @ mr.photoguy's post |  #12

mr.photoguy wrote:

I put a fully charged battery in on April 13 when my replacement XT was delivered.

Since then I've taken at least 20 photos every day, some with flash, most without. I spent an evening in the backyard doing long night exposures and messing with the bulb exposure setting. I spent one of those days at the zoo taking over 200 pictures that afternoon alone. I spent a day shooting my kids - another 90 or 100 photos there.

Just a few minutes ago I snapped a dozen or so shots of birds and a rabbit outside the house.

I also transfer directly from my camera to my PC.

The last picture I transferred was #563 and the bettery is still going.

napolar
259 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 20, 2005 15:12 |  #13

Impresive, I thought the battery in my 300d lasted long, but what you are stating is incredible.

Art
7D & 20D
Tamron 28-75 F2.8
Canon 70 - 200 F4 L
P.O.T.N Op-Tech Strap

Toogy
"I like pictures of myself!"
6,247 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Apr 20, 2005 18:41 |  #14

I took exactly 1178 pictures on my last charge on my 20D!! I was impressed to say the least :)

Toogood Studios (external link)
Good Light and Shoot to the Right....

mr.photoguy
Goldmember
1,012 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 21, 2005 06:19 as a reply to  @ Toogy's post |  #15

Toogy wrote:
I took exactly 1178 pictures on my last charge on my 20D!! I was impressed to say the least :)

I need to charge my battery, and see how many I get. I am not 100% sure, but my battery may be getting weak..

Bruce
~~Your learn a lot more when your camera is out of hybernation....~~
my pbase page (external link)
C20D
10mm 2.5

sponsored links

7,158 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is the REAL Battery life on 350d / Rebel XT
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.