Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 May 2009 (Wednesday) 21:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What would a 1mm f/1.2 lens look like?

SteveNC
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 06, 2009 21:03 |  #1

I'm talking physical dimensions. Just for fun. :)

"Dream it. Plan it. Do it."
- National Geographic ...with a 300D and a kit lens (external link)

85 1.2L II, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L IS, 17-40L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Elinchrom, Lastolite, Photoflex, Think Tank, Member: Canon Professional Services, National Association of Photoshop Professionals

sponsored links
Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,253 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 06, 2009 21:09 |  #2

If you've seen some of the full-frame Nikon ~6mm fisheye lenses..... probably freakin' ginormous. :p

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

nilsjnesse
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 06, 2009 21:40 as a reply to  @ Jim G's post |  #3

1mm f/0.1 would be better.

Coastal Optics (external link) do custom lenses, you can fill out an inquiry form and see what they say...

Jman13
Cream of the Crop
5,558 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 06, 2009 21:41 |  #4

Do you mean one for a full frame SLR? Because format size will have a HUGE impact on size. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some camera phones are pretty close to 1mm lenses. At that size, the aperture only needs to be a little smaller than 1mm, so it could be very small for a tiny sensor.

For 35mm, though, it might not be physically possible to make. As mentioned, the Nikon 6mm fish is the widest lens ever made for full frame, and it's absolutely HUGE (several pounds and something like a 6 inch diameter front element). Well, the f/2.8 is...the f/5.6 version is much smaller, but requires mirror lockup to mount. It's got a 220 degree circular field of view.

http://www.mir.com.my …urces/fisheyes/​6mmf28.htm (external link)

Jordan Steele - http://www.jordansteel​e.com (external link)
Admiring Light - http://www.admiringlig​ht.com (external link)

Vascilli
Goldmember
1,474 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 06, 2009 22:31 |  #5

1mm, I think it would bulge out quite a bit.

Flickr (external link) | Gear List

p32shooter
713 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 07, 2009 16:41 |  #6

B.I.G. times GINORMOUS

wants for Ls :D , now have 400do;500f4is,600f4 :cool::cool: off to birding and airshows:):):)

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,704 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 07, 2009 16:50 |  #7

I don't think it would be possible, unless you put some intermediate system in between, fiber optics or so.

1 mm from a rectilinear POV is impossible, because of physical and mathematical constraints, for a fisheye I'd have to check the formula, but I don't think that'll work either, hence the fiber optics suggestion. In that case you could probably use it as a very fancy macro lens.

Kind regards, Wim

EOS R & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & 2 zooms, OM-D E-M1 Mk II & Pen-F with 10 primes, 6 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

rdenney
Rick "who is not suited for any one title" Denney
2,400 posts
Joined Jun 2003

May 07, 2009 17:33 |  #8

Take a glass bead, and cut it in half. But the image circle will only be 1mm or thereabouts.

Lenses that short are not that difficult. Lenses that short that provide coverage--that's another matter.

If it's a rectilinear lens to cover a larger format than a millimeter or two, the edges would have to be thickened up to magnify the images at the edges. It is entirely likely that the image plane would fall within the glass. Glass with sufficient refractive ability doesn't exist. Further, even if it did, it would only include an extra bit of scenery at the edges compared with existing hyperwide rectilinear lenses in the 10-12mm range (for full frame format). Rectilinear lenses actually must have effectively a longer focal length (and therefore more magnification) at the edges than at the center to maintain those straight lines.

If it's a fisheye, it will only make a 3mm circular image no matter what you do.

For a sensor that is 1x1.5mm, however, it would be the size of a tiny glass bead.

Rick "hey, Holga makes a 6x12 pinhole camera!" Denney

The List

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 07, 2009 17:58 |  #9

Rick beat me to it - I was going to say a glass marble.

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

8,283 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.