Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 08 May 2009 (Friday) 20:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good for you B&H, good for you.

shooter ­ mcgavin
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 08, 2009 20:09 |  #1

I don't know if someone has posted this already, so if might be old news, but my brother, a business major, sent this link to me. I thought it was pretty cool, and some awesome press for one of the best stores in the world:

http://www.inc.com …d-and-why-bh-thrives.html (external link)

sponsored links
danameless
283 posts
Joined May 2009

May 08, 2009 23:43 |  #2

Wow, does the author get a kickback from B&H for that article? He made it sound like they are the best thing since sliced cheese!

I go to B&H to shop and although I will admit their selection/display and knowledgeable sales people are very good, their prices are not the cheapest. I was actually there last week shopping for a tripod, and the person that assisted me seemed like a walking tripod encyclopedia. He answered all my questions, appeared to know the details of all the tripods on display (and they had about 80 on display) and set them up to show me as well.

However, I also check out Adorama and CameraLandNY as well. Price wise, I've noticed cameralandny has better prices.

But I do agree that circuitcity had horrible customer service and sales people and no surprise they went out of business.

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 09, 2009 08:50 |  #3

Well honestly some people are willing to pay a little more to get the right thing the first time, and even though B&H may not be the cheapest sometimes they are usually not off by that much compared to the competitors.

I use the "you get what you pay for" phrase quite often, and that pretty much sums up the article. You hire people that dont know what they are doing it shows and people will stop coming.

I mean really look at Best Buy (yes they have their issues) compared to Circuit City, its all about marketing and appearance. It amazed me to see both stores near each other here and when you went to CC it was dead then goto Best Buy and the place was packed.

I agree with the article the whole economic thing is not why they went of business that was just the nail in the coffin imo

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

mobileman
118 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 09, 2009 10:21 |  #4

While were on the subject it makes me cringe to see people paying out landish prices for camera gear at Best Buy. The other day they sold a new "Canon 5D" not the Mark ll for $2499. There prices compared to B&H and others are over the top. If I get the chance and see people looking at an overpriced camera I usually will tell them to price it at B&H and do a comparison before purchasing.
The most changed thing I have noticed over the years of purchasing from B&H are the sales peoples attitudes. Years ago they were so rude you had to prepare yourself for the call. Today its a different attitude for the better.

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,676 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2007

May 09, 2009 10:26 |  #5

mobileman wrote in post #7888147 (external link)
The most changed thing I have noticed over the years of purchasing from B&H are the sales peoples attitudes. Years ago they were so rude you had to prepare yourself for the call. Today its a different attitude for the better.

The salespeople are definitely much better now but I still think that article is overstating how good they are these days.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

shooter ­ mcgavin
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 09, 2009 10:59 |  #6

I've never actually been to the NY store, but I know a lot of photographers that I respect that love it, so when I said "one of the best stores in the world", I was basing it off that. I buy all my new gear from a local store, Norman Camera. I have never had better customer service at a retail store, and they have always been willing to match B&H prices.
Sometimes their prices on their website are lower, sometimes higher, but if you're price-shopping, it's a good place to look. Also, they have a solid return policy.

http://www.normancamer​a.com/ (external link)

Honestly, the Best Buy sales approach bugs me. I had interviewed for a position in their photo department, but after learning their prescribed "tactics", I backed off.
I will respect a salesperson who wants to learn my needs and find a product to fit it, but when they try to fit their priciest products to my needs, I get bugged...especially after they make it clear they have no idea what they're talking about.

After all of that is said, I usually buy used anyway, since my hometown (Grand Rapids) has a pretty lively photo/video section on Craigslist...especiall​y with Canon and Nikon gear.

hawkeye60
Goldmember
2,079 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 09, 2009 11:07 |  #7

The last line of the article says it all. "It's inspiring to know that starting with the premise of treating your customers well really does pay off."

It's a lens not a lense!
The truest test of character is what you do when you think no one is looking.

kosin
Goldmember
2,096 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

May 09, 2009 17:04 |  #8

Colorblinded wrote in post #7888164 (external link)
The salespeople are definitely much better now but I still think that article is overstating how good they are these days.

I agree, also they prices aren't the lowest either...

Greg Gard
=> www.greggard.com (external link)
follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/greggardphoto/ (external link)

NeutronBoy
Goldmember
2,049 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 09, 2009 19:13 |  #9

Are you the BRP Shooter?? AK here !!

5D Mark II, 40D, 350d
Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS II L | Canon 100-400 IS L [COLOR=black]| Canon 24-70 L | Canon 100mm Macro f2.8 | Canon 50 f1.4| Canon 10-22 | Canon MP-E 65 | Rokinon 14mm f2.8 | Sigma 17 - 70 macro
MT-24 & 430 flashes | other junk

sponsored links

713 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good for you B&H, good for you.
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.