Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 11 May 2009 (Monday) 01:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting in High Humidity - tips?

DragonSpeed
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Jan 2008

May 11, 2009 01:04 |  #1

We're going to be in Tanzania in 12 days!

w00t!

The humidity level appears to be hovering around 80% these days. Any suggestions for equipment care/shooting tips in the high humidity?

Thanks!

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 11, 2009 03:34 |  #2

Hmmm, I didn't notice it being that humid in Tanzania. But if it is then your only real problem is condensation - which can happen when you take your gear from a cool place (air-conditioned lodge) to a warm, humid place (the outdoors).

The key is to ensure that your gear is at the same temperature as the outside before you expose it to the air. If your accommodation isn't air-conditioned then you'll probably not have any problems. If it is then pop the camera and lenses in a sealed plastic bag while in your room and take it out with you (I doubt you'll be eating breakfast in air-con) to slowly warm up.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

DragonSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 11, 2009 04:19 |  #3

hollis_f wrote in post #7897647 (external link)
Hmmm, I didn't notice it being that humid in Tanzania. But if it is then your only real problem is condensation - which can happen when you take your gear from a cool place (air-conditioned lodge) to a warm, humid place (the outdoors).

The key is to ensure that your gear is at the same temperature as the outside before you expose it to the air. If your accommodation isn't air-conditioned then you'll probably not have any problems. If it is then pop the camera and lenses in a sealed plastic bag while in your room and take it out with you (I doubt you'll be eating breakfast in air-con) to slowly warm up.

Thanks. The rains are just finishing... All that water on the ground has to go SOMEWHERE before it becomes the DRY season ;)

We are going to bring a few Kitchen sized Garbage bags with us also just in case we need to do any field lens changes ( every thing in the bag away from the dust) That should do the trick for the condensation too.

What about shooting in in high humidity... Other than UV filter to help cut the haze... other ideas?

Thanks!

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 11, 2009 04:32 |  #4

DragonSpeed wrote in post #7897739 (external link)
Other than UV filter to help cut the haze...

UV filter does absolutely zero to haze. In the days of chemical photography, when film was sensitive to UV, then such a filter could help cut out some of the short-wavelength stuff. But modern digital cameras have lens coatings and sensor filters that remove all the UV anyway.

Some people would recommend putting one on to protect the front element of the lens. I prefer to use a hood for protection and a rocket blower to remove dust.

Talking of which, I had no problems with dust in Tanzania. Just don't be silly about when you change lenses.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,036 posts
Gallery: 180 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

May 11, 2009 09:22 |  #5

DragonSpeed wrote in post #7897739 (external link)
Thanks. The rains are just finishing... All that water on the ground has to go SOMEWHERE before it becomes the DRY season ;)

Well, then, with all that water on the ground it shouldn't be dusty, should it? At least that eliminates one of the potential problems for you.

Something that may be of help are the large, very heavy duty bags that are completely air and moisture tight. They're like a ZipLock bag on steriods. They're sold as "storage bags", and are popular for storing wedding gowns in. Most WalMarts carry them. They're only a few bucks, and they will completely seal out mositure, unlike a garbage bag.

Good luck on your travels. I can't wait to see some killer images posted here!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

EveryMilesAMemory
Goldmember
3,878 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined May 2007

May 12, 2009 10:37 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #6

We've used these Huge Ziplock bags (external link) for Canoe trips to keep gear dry.

You can find them at any of the Home Improvement stores. This would keep the dust off the gear and keep the moisture out if you do find A/C...Good Luck with that:confused:

These bags are big enough that you can put the whole camera bag right in one!!

Pat Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.​com (external link)
www.patbonishphotograp​hy.com (external link)
http://www.instagram.c​om/bonish_photo/[/URL (external link)

Discov3ry
250 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 12, 2009 11:05 as a reply to  @ EveryMilesAMemory's post |  #7

Ziplock bags + patience = WIN

I've learned it the hard way on one very extremely cold day in January 2007 in Chicago (low single digit F) when I brought all of my cold gear into a the Lincoln Park Conservatory where the humidity is about 100% at an average 80F. The wedding party had to wait 45 minutes for lenses to defog.

captainkimo
108 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 13, 2009 02:36 |  #8

You may also consider bringing along with you some silica gels or dehumidifiers which can absorb moisture. RH level should be between 40-50% for molds/fungus not to grow. Have fun on your shoot!

Cheers!

Captain Kimo

HDR Photography by Captain Kimo
www.CaptainKimo.com (external link)
Reach the Captain on FaceBook (external link)

Robert ­ Armbrust
73 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 26, 2009 22:50 |  #9

While I was at the beach I stored my gear in the laundry room, and had little problem with the lenses fogging.

Stimulating the economy one lens at a time.:lol:
http://www.imaginglife​style.com (external link)

DragonSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 17, 2009 16:52 |  #10

EveryMilesAMemory wrote in post #7906228 (external link)
We've used these Huge Ziplock bags (external link) for Canoe trips to keep gear dry.

You can find them at any of the Home Improvement stores. This would keep the dust off the gear and keep the moisture out if you do find A/C...Good Luck with that:confused:

These bags are big enough that you can put the whole camera bag right in one!!

This is the solution we went with. Worked well when in zanzibar and going from the cool hotel room into the hot and very humid coastal African weather.

duxbar
65 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 20, 2009 13:05 |  #11

Discov3ry wrote in post #7906433 (external link)
Ziplock bags + patience = WIN

I've learned it the hard way on one very extremely cold day in January 2007 in Chicago (low single digit F) when I brought all of my cold gear into a the Lincoln Park Conservatory where the humidity is about 100% at an average 80F. The wedding party had to wait 45 minutes for lenses to defog.

Wow... there was no damage to the sensor? Dried water spots on the sensor?? :(

sponsored links

5,860 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting in High Humidity - tips?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.