Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 May 2009 (Tuesday) 07:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

500mm F/4 is being ordered today. Now ?

TheFloridaShooter
713 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

May 12, 2009 07:11 |  #1

I'm going to go ahead and order the EF 500 f4 today. Now the $1000 Dollar + question is. What I'd really like to know now is. What the idea tripod and mount for the 500mm? Pictures and brands names spelled out w/ the model would be extremely helpful. Also, what other item would be considered a must have with this purchase - drop in filters ect.....

Now the waiting begins until the 500 arrives.

1Dx MKII | 1Dx | 5D MKIV | 5D MKIII | 5Ds r | 5Ds | 7D MKII | 7D | G16 | G3x | EOS M & M3 | 800 f5.6 | 600 f4 | 400 f2.8 | 300 f2.8 | 200-400 f4 | 100-400 f4.5 - 5.6 II x 2 | 70-200 f2.8 | 14 f2.8 II | 50 f1.2 | 50 1.4 | 85 f1.2 | 135 f2 | 24-70 f2.8 II | 11-24 f4 | 35 f1.4 II | Pentax 645Z | SMC Pentax-DA 645 25mm F4 AL | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL | Pentax 90mm f/2.8 D FA 645 Macro ED AW SR | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 200mm f/4 IF | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 300mm f/4 ED IF | SMC FA 645 400mm f/5.6 ED IF Lens

sponsored links
hypers2k
244 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2007

May 12, 2009 07:39 |  #2

Hey, I bet you cant wait, thinking about one myself.
will watch this thread closely:)

schliefert
38 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 12, 2009 08:41 |  #3

I went with the Gitzo 3530 LSV, (now 3531), Wimberly II, Really right stuff tripod foot and am now considering the stabilizer bracket from RRS also, just because...

Not everyone's choice but it's rock steady and I'm more than pleased with the set up.

The LSV model comes without a center column and the viewfinder reaches my eyes with my 6'4" frame easily.

Enjoy your new lens, it's a monster!

Roger

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,941 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 12, 2009 13:44 |  #4

Here's the short list;

Canon extenders 1.4X (external link) and 2X Teleconverters (external link) = Kaching
Gitzo GT3530 Carbon Fiber tripod (external link) = Kaching
Full Wimberly Head (external link) = KaChing
or Markins Ballhead with Sidekick (external link) = KaChing!
Gitzo 1321 Leveling base (external link) = Kaching
4th Generation Designs replacement foot with Arca mount (external link) = kaching
Kenisis L511 bag (external link) = kaching
Better Beamer Flash Extender (external link) = kaching
Wiberly Telephoto Flash Bracket (external link) = Kaching!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

May 12, 2009 13:54 |  #5

Are you going to be carrying this setup far? If not, get a 3 series Gitzo CF.

If so, you can easily get away with a 2 series.

Don't listen to the people who have no experience with these items.

I have two 1 series and either easily holds a 400 f2.8 on a wimberely sidekick. Is it stable? For my purposes it is. If I was shooting in relative darkness with very long exposures, perhaps it would not be steady enough. But for general landscape, the weight and size difference is very important to me.

I can easily pack my 1 series in my carry-on suitcase. Try that with a 3 series.

As to drop in filter, a CP is nice, but I rarely used mine with my 300 f2.8

me

Vulcan58
Goldmember
1,789 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 12, 2009 14:08 |  #6

Bought mine last October as a 50th Birthday prezzie to self - Fantastic Lens, you'll just love it! (A real heavy beast too).

Also needed a sturdier tripod so went with the Gitzo 3530L (carbon fibre) with the full Wimberley head - It's rock steady once you balance it up (really easy).
Must admit I could do with a crank up centre column to get the height right every time, but I did put a couple of pencil marks on the legs to roughly achieve the same viewing height.
Enjoy it, and don't forget to post the obligatory Duck shot!

funhouse69
999 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 12, 2009 23:04 |  #7

I bought my 500L back in October of last year then got laid off so I had to sell it - believe me it was not easy letting it go :-(

Anyway I learned really quickly that I needed to revamp my support system BIG TIME and of course as luck would have it I just had upgraded to a nice but certainly not up to the task Manny Tri/Monopod Setup.

With this in mind I went with a Gitzo GT3530 Carbon Fiber Tripod a Kirk BH-1 which you can get directly from Kirk on e-bay for a decent discount if you are willing to take a blemished one (still haven't found the blemish on mine). From there I debated on a full Wimberly head or a Sidekick. The full head is awesome without a doubt but for me I wanted to still be able to use my tripod for other lenses and my body without having to switch heads. That said I went with a sidekick and it was also awesome. Add in the replacement foot (Kirk), Lens Coat and a Backpack to put it in and my $5k lens ended up costing me close to $7k when all was said and done.

The good thing is that even though I sold the lens I made the decision to go with only Arcia Swiss for my Bodies, Lenses and Heads and I have to say that was a great investment and I would never ever go back to proprietary systems again.

My Online Gallery (external link)
>>> My Gear List / Feedback <<<

For Sale LowePro Super Trekker

badams
699 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

May 13, 2009 09:15 |  #8

funhouse, do you have a link to the Kirk ebay seller or to one of those tripods?

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

funhouse69
999 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 13, 2009 09:31 |  #9

Here's the link to Kirk

**link removed***

From there just click on the items for sale on the left.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,941 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 13, 2009 22:49 |  #10

Actual link to Kirk Photo;
http://www.kirkphoto.c​om/ (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

funhouse69
999 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 13, 2009 23:04 |  #11

He was looking for the link to the Kirk Phto e-bay store and not Kirk site itself

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,941 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 13, 2009 23:10 |  #12

Sorry man, go ahead and post it again,. I did not read all of your earlier post, and was wondering what the heck that E-bay page was about..

I thought you'd made a mistake when in fact it was...
My mistake.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

funhouse69
999 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 14, 2009 09:30 |  #13

No worries I was just making sure that I didn't do anything wrong when I saw my post edited. At the same time I could have replied with the original quote in so it would have been more clear.

funhouse69
999 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 14, 2009 09:35 |  #14

badams wrote in post #7912925 (external link)
funhouse, do you have a link to the Kirk ebay seller or to one of those tripods?

The Kirk e-bay site is - Click on the Items for Sale link on the left hand side.
http://myworld.ebay.co​m/kirkphoto333/ (external link)

The Tripod I have is a Gitzo 6X Carbon Fiber GT3530. I bought mine from some random person off e-bay and was lucky enough to get a nice live cash back on it as well. I'd say keep checking e-bay regularly they do show up but they tend to sell pretty quickly. Most people hold on to their Gitzo's unless they are upgrading or something :-)

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 30, 2009 01:35 |  #15

I know this is a little old but who else used the kirk swiss plate? I just want some more assurance it is reliable.. I know the saying about cheap priced items and expensive lenses but this is 50% off another brand arca swiss plate. If this works just as well, I'm willing to take it on ebay.

Thanks!

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

sponsored links

3,656 views & 0 likes for this thread
500mm F/4 is being ordered today. Now ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.