Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 12 May 2009 (Tuesday) 20:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I kinda like this... but what do you think? C&C PLS!

darosk
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 12, 2009 20:59 |  #1

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …opiate_eyes/IMG​_0884_.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

1/80 sec
f/8
ISO100

I don't shoot that much scenery - but I was wandering around, bored, a few days before last Christmas and this was one that I liked.

What can be done to make this more awesome?

Thanks!

Tumblr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Youtube (external link)
Gear

sponsored links
tonydee
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 12, 2009 22:05 |  #2

Is it a strange thing to lock your bike onto, or just a random squiggle for kids to climb over? Regardless, I like the photo... would definitely find a shot on my gallery if I'd taken it. Main thing that's awkward about it is the way it chops into the metal at the top... does tend to lead the eye out of frame. 17mm (x1.6) is the widest your lenses go, so not much option to simply lift the upper edge while keeping similar composition. I can't help wondering if a shot from further left might have worked better... getting a little overlap of the front and back pieces of metal, but that might be too busy. Can't think of any post-processing to improve on what you've done, except perhaps to dodge the shadow slightly on the leaves at bottom right - they attract attention while being an effort to examine.... I hope someone else has some ideas for you. Cheers, Tony

5D and too much glass. Mamiya 645E.
http://www.picasaweb.c​om/anthonypon (external link) recent work

howaboutnow
Goldmember
1,091 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 12, 2009 23:42 |  #3

HMM. This is a difficult one to comment on. The composition could of been different. I might of gotten more of the first set of bike racks, it looks like you were more focused on getting the shadows. It's an interesting picture, but lacking something in my opinion. I was actually reminded of a picture I have hanging in my bedroom when I saw this photo since it's somewhat similiar, only difference is that it has 2 older bikes leaning up against each other and the focus is on a boquiet of a dozen red roses that is strapped down on one of the bikes over the rear tire sort of thing... hard to picture for you I'm sure, but the bikes are leaned up against a railing, and I have a huge love for this picture. It reminds me of Holland, where I was born, since everybody bikes there and seems to be the main transportation for the population.

Anyways, long story short, it's about how you like it :) I think the picture is as good as it is going to get as shown right now.

Thanks for sharing :)

-- Suzanne
Believe in yourself.
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi -Canon EF-S Zoom lens - 17 mm - 85 mm - F/4.0-5.6 - Canon EF Lens - 50 mm - F/1.8
Canon EW-78B II Lens hood - Manfrotto tripod (728B)

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 13, 2009 00:39 as a reply to  @ howaboutnow's post |  #4

^ Agree about the composition.the higher set of racks lead the eye right out of the shot to me.

Keep practicing! Its all fun.,

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

darosk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 13, 2009 00:53 as a reply to  @ Flo's post |  #5

It is a squiggly bike rail, Tony - and you're right howaboutnow, I was more focusing on the shadows. I have to agree with all of you about the cropping of the photo.

I'm trying to think if there was a reason I composed this one the way I did - maybe there was a distracting building or something - but I can't remember. I'm thinking of going back and seeing what more I can do with the scene.

Thank you very much for all the helpful comments :)

Gear

S.Horton
I'm having size issues, does this get worse with age?
18,043 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 13, 2009 00:56 |  #6

Boost the contrast, consider b/w -- I think if it has more contrast, it is interesting, to me, because my eye gets lead through the frame.

Try a low angle, end of rack, draw the lines from top/right to low/left using the shadows.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 13, 2009 01:08 |  #7

Two steps to camera right, frame the rack itself just out of frame and capture just the UNUNUNUNUN of the shdow pattern! ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

S.Horton
I'm having size issues, does this get worse with age?
18,043 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 13, 2009 15:51 |  #8

^^ Ok, I meant to say what he said. So, now I did.

;}

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

PETERSYMES
Goldmember
1,502 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 13, 2009 17:09 |  #9

+ 1 for composition change.
Probably more along the rack with the complete top in frame.

I like the light and colour.

darosk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,806 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 13, 2009 20:02 |  #10

Thanks for the comments, all! Will probably post the re-take if I after I get round to shooting it :)

I appreciate all the criticism and help.

Gear

sponsored links

953 views & 0 likes for this thread
I kinda like this... but what do you think? C&C PLS!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.