Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 May 2009 (Thursday) 00:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Watermarking Photos - Great experience !!

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 14, 2009 00:16 |  #1

I just have to post my experience with a web based company regarding my efforts to find a good, inexpensive way to watermark my photos before posting them on my website:

I searched topics here and read a lot of different threads but really still didn't have a sense of which way to go for my needs.

So I googled the subject and came up with a lot of returns, making my research take even more time. I downloaded several programs and one by one installed and tested them. The first one I tried was Visual Watermark

I installed and tried out the trial version but immediately discounted it because of what I found to be a very difficult to look at background screen within the program. But the program worked well I have to say.

So I tried several more and found them to be dismally short of my needs. Awkward, difficult and just a real pain to use and not very good programs.

I kept coming back to Visual Watermark and the more I tried it, the more I liked it. I could do batch watermarking which is important to me as I do dozens of photos for one project. But that background. . . . . Ugh! It is a series of tiny squares and it makes my stomach do flip flops just looking at it.

So I finally said - well, maybe I'll get used to it and paid my 20 bucks and bought the program. I had to do 64 pictures for a display I was building so with very little effort, I created a quick watermark for my solarium company and marked all the photos in one easy process. But that ugly background. . . . .

Well, I decided to send a note to tech support and see if there was any way I could change it. About 12 HOURS LATER, I got an answer already! No was the reply - Sorry, but maybe in a future version. OK, I grumbled, I'll get used to it.

The NEXT DAY, I get another email from the same tech support lady. She provided me with a link to download an altered version of the program where the checkerboard background was changed to plain white. So I grabbed the file, installed it over my first installation and Presto! Nauseating background gone!

Why do I post this story??

Just to show that there are some companies out there that actually answer tech question email.
I am amazed at the amazing awesome service this company provided! And then a few days later I got an email from another person in the company:
Here is a copy and paste of what he wrote:

"I just wanted to drop you a note to see if
everything is OK and if you have any questions
about Visual Watermark.

Also we would be very glad to hear from you what
you like or not in the Visual Watermark."

So if you are looking for some way of protecting your photos with a watermark, this is a really good business to deal with. I give them a 5 star, ten out of ten.

http://www.visualwater​mark.com/ (external link)

Signed,
Very Impressed.

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

sponsored links
Scooter49
70 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 14, 2009 09:44 |  #2

Hello Bobs Your Uncle!

Your post could not have come at a better time as I'm setting up a website for my photograhy. I've checked out the Virtual Watermark site and find it interesting. My question is simply, can I use the personal program (the non-commercial version) for photos on my website that I want to sell or do I need to purchase the business version (the commercial version)?
Thanks for your input.

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 14, 2009 11:32 as a reply to  @ Scooter49's post |  #3

I pondered that point myself for a while, thinking and analyzing my own situation.

For me, it was a gray area. They are my own personal photos, and although I am using them in my business displays, I am not using the photos for commercial purposes. That is, I am not selling them or making money off the pictures themselves. I say gray area because I am making money off my product, which is visually enhanced by the photos. I was thinking of emailing them and asking for clarification. I am using the personal edition.

I think that if you are making money off the photos, then it is for commercial purposes but if you are only displaying them for people to see then it is personal.

That's my view on the situation.
Hope that helps

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

WMDunkin
276 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 14, 2009 14:18 |  #4

its call photoshop and transparencies

Canon G9; 250D, LAH-DC20 Hood, WC-DC58B, LA-DC58H
Hoya 58mm UV, Circular Polarizer, Warming Intensifier filters

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/38165872@N00/ (external link)my blog (external link) | my website (external link) | my flickr (external link) | my youtube (external link)
© All rights reserved.

Jmark11207
164 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 14, 2009 14:21 |  #5

Care to elaborate WMDunkin

Im trying to figure out this whole batch process thing when it comes to watermarking

My Flickr (external link)
My Blog (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jmarkphotos/sho​w/ (external link)

stathunter
"I am no one really"
5,635 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 14, 2009 14:23 |  #6

WMDunkin wrote in post #7921471 (external link)
its call photoshop and transparencies

Good point. How does this Bob differ from adding a watermark in photoshop? quicker?

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

WMDunkin
276 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 14, 2009 14:56 |  #7

Jmark11207 wrote in post #7921489 (external link)
Care to elaborate WMDunkin

Im trying to figure out this whole batch process thing when it comes to watermarking

just use actions in photoshop, you can "record" your steps and affects and just hit play and it will do everything to the next file.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/38165872@N00/ (external link)my blog (external link) | my website (external link) | my flickr (external link) | my youtube (external link)
© All rights reserved.

Eagle ­ i
767 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 14, 2009 15:15 |  #8

WMDunkin wrote in post #7921708 (external link)
just use actions in photoshop, you can "record" your steps and affects and just hit play and it will do everything to the next file.

anyway to do this in Lightroom?

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mistergman/ (external link)

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 14, 2009 15:24 |  #9

stathunter wrote in post #7921497 (external link)
Good point. How does this Bob differ from adding a watermark in photoshop? quicker?

Photoshop -- $700.00

Visual Watermark -- $20.00

End of story!

If you already have Photoshop and want to use it, great! But I see no point whatsoever in spending 700 bucks to watermark pictures when a little stand alone program will do everything that I want for a small fraction of the cost.

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

WMDunkin
276 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 14, 2009 15:25 |  #10

Eagle i wrote in post #7921809 (external link)
anyway to do this in Lightroom?

It looks like you can but I have never used lightroom but here are two links

http://www.reynsphoto.​com …ions_inside_Lig​htroom.php (external link)

http://www.lightroomqu​een.com/lrqdroplets.ph​p (external link)

© All rights reserved.

Eagle ­ i
767 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 14, 2009 15:33 |  #11

WMDunkin wrote in post #7921708 (external link)

WMDunkin wrote in post #7921885 (external link)
It looks like you can but I have never used lightroom but here are two links

http://www.reynsphoto.​com …ions_inside_Lig​htroom.php (external link)

http://www.lightroomqu​een.com/lrqdroplets.ph​p (external link)

I dont have PS so those links don't help me but I did hit google and found this: http://www.wonderhowto​.com …os-in-lightroom-2-270233/ (external link)

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mistergman/ (external link)

asty80
584 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 14, 2009 15:33 |  #12

Thanks for the detailed write up..
Looks like this one wont work with OSX though :(

Canon 5D Mark iii, Canon 40D
24-105mm f/4 L IS, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 100-400L, 100mm macro, 430ex ii, SLIK 700DX tripod
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/shyamyag (external link)
:)

WMDunkin
276 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 14, 2009 15:54 |  #13

BobsYourUncle wrote in post #7921879 (external link)
Photoshop -- $700.00

End of story!

If you already have Photoshop and want to use it, great! But I see no point whatsoever in spending 700 bucks to watermark pictures when a little stand alone program will do everything that I want for a small fraction of the cost.

fully understand but do you not touch up any of your photos?

© All rights reserved.

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 14, 2009 16:29 |  #14

WMDunkin wrote in post #7922062 (external link)
fully understand but do you not touch up any of your photos?

Speaking for myself, I can't be bothered.

I am very busy and don't have the time it takes to touch them up. For me, it is just not important.

Sure there are a few shots I do a minor amount of adjustment such as brightness and maybe the occasional redeye but Zoombrowser does all that for me and it was free with the camera.

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

PaulBoy
34 posts
Joined Jan 2003

May 17, 2009 04:02 |  #15

BobsYourUncle wrote in post #7921879 (external link)
Photoshop -- $700.00

End of story!

Great thread with what looks like a great utility - I can't afford Photoshop either but 20 bucks I can afford!
Paul

"Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!"

sponsored links

4,719 views & 0 likes for this thread
Watermarking Photos - Great experience !!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.