Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk 
Thread started 15 May 2009 (Friday) 07:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any advice for shooting a tool and die shop?

shooter ­ mcgavin
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 15, 2009 07:50 |  #1

My dad is a vp of a tool and die shop and thy would like for me to come in and take some pictures for their website. The only problem is, I don't really have any sort of product shooting experience. I was just wondering if anyone here has done a similar sort of shoot and would have any tips to share or good example pieces to show me?

I've been looking at the big tool and die shops' sites to get a better idea, and even those don't seem to really have anything that I wouldn't be able to do, but I just like to be prepared.

I won't be shooting many smaller things, like gauges, so a seamless backdrop isn't really an option. Most of it will be larger tools and a couple of rooms.

They do have a really nice facility, so I think most of what I'll do will be more than acceptable, but I just thought I'd see if anyone here has some wisdom to share on the topic. Thanks!

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 15, 2009 07:55 |  #2

If they sell large tools it would help if they have a display area. Hopefully the dispaly area is arranged for you in a way that will help keep cluttered backgrounds minimal.

To try and get truly professional results with large heavy tools is quite a job and you will just need to use all your photographic ability to keep lighting good and backgrounds non-distracting.

A lot of window light would also help by just using a bit of fill flash, but for anyone to offer suggestions I think we would need to know the lighting conditions as well.

shooter ­ mcgavin
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 15, 2009 08:15 |  #3

Thanks for the response. As far as lighting goes, I have some strobes that I can use, but the ambiance lighting is pretty much as bad as it gets. There are few windows in the actual shop, but the office is very modern and well lit with large windows, but of course you can't exacly bring the large tools in there. The lighting in the shop is overhead fluorescents.

There is room though, to move the larger tools to an uncluttered background, I think that's sound advice.

Thanks!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,543 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any advice for shooting a tool and die shop?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Still Life, B/W & Experimental Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.