Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 16 May 2009 (Saturday) 14:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What to call this camera?

joe ­ mama
666 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 16, 2009 14:34 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

1) 5DII sensor and same size body
2) 11 AF points, all high precision
3) Half the shutter lag of the 5DII
4) "Real" Auto ISO
5) Sensor IS (since no primes below 300mm, save the 200 / 2L IS, have IS)

I'd like to call such a camera a "5DX", but I think a more accurate name would be "fiction". : )

--joe

www.josephjamesphotogr​aphy.com (external link)
www.pbase.com/joemama (external link)

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

May 16, 2009 15:01 |  #2

I only have the "old" 5D, but what do you mean by shutterl lag? Not only is mine instant, but I would figure the the MkII to be at least as good if not faster ;).

joe mama wrote in post #7933633 (external link)
4) "Real" Auto ISO

I'd like to call such a camera a "5DX", but I think a more accurate name would be "fiction". : )

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

joe ­ mama
THREAD ­ STARTER
666 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 16, 2009 15:09 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

sapearl wrote in post #7933746 (external link)
I only have the "old" 5D, but what do you mean by shutterl lag? Not only is mine instant, but I would figure the the MkII to be at least as good if not faster ;).

I, too, have the 5D. I don't know if you got a magical one, or I got a dud, but there most definitely is a lag between depressing the shutter and capturing the image. Mind you, this lag is measured in fractions of a second, but much of my imagery is captured in those fractions.

--joe

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

May 16, 2009 15:14 |  #4

Seriously Joe, I don't believe mine is magical.... just normal, not even fractions ;).

Now that being said, I do have some lag when I can't get a solid auto-focus lock. But that is by design. If I'm not metering subjects with good contrast, or if at a very dark wedding venue - processional at some dim churches - it will hunt and "lag" until I get a lock.

joe mama wrote in post #7933788 (external link)
I, too, have the 5D. I don't know if you got a magical one, or I got a dud, but there most definitely is a lag between depressing the shutter and capturing the image. Mind you, this lag is measured in fractions of a second, but much of my imagery is captured in those fractions.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

joe ­ mama
THREAD ­ STARTER
666 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 16, 2009 18:24 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

sapearl wrote in post #7933804 (external link)
Seriously Joe, I don't believe mine is magical.... just normal, not even fractions ;).

Now that being said, I do have some lag when I can't get a solid auto-focus lock. But that is by design. If I'm not metering subjects with good contrast, or if at a very dark wedding venue - processional at some dim churches - it will hunt and "lag" until I get a lock.

That's not what I mean by "shutter lag". That's focus speed, and I would like to see an improvement there, especially with the outer AF points in lower light. "Shutter lag" is the time differential between when the shutter is depressed and the image is captured. This is especially noticable when subjects are moving and you are shooting extremely shallow DOFs, as I do.

--joe

eror11
314 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 16, 2009 19:25 |  #6

4) "Real" Auto ISO

Call it Sony alpha

I wouldn't buy that camera.

7D with 24-70

joe ­ mama
THREAD ­ STARTER
666 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 16, 2009 20:00 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

eror11 wrote in post #7934811 (external link)
Call it Sony alpha

I wouldn't buy that camera.

I don't know how the Sony A900's AF compares to what I'm asking for. As for their sensor, it's supposedly the best at low ISO but the worst at high ISO. I prefer the 5DII's compromise.

--joe

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 16, 2009 20:11 |  #8

5D++

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

nuffi
926 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 17, 2009 08:26 |  #9

I think I'd call it Bob.

Daniel ­ Browning
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 17, 2009 21:33 |  #10

5D mark too awesome.

Daniel

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

May 18, 2009 13:59 |  #11

sapearl wrote in post #7933746 (external link)

Stuart, I only have the "old" 5D too, but joe is right, there is some shutter lag and the 5DII has exactly the same amount as the "old" 5D. Admittedly, I didn't notice it at first, but after I owned the 1D/1DIIN/1DIII (all sold now), it was really apparently. Those cameras fire instantaneously, and it actually shocked me a little because, being used to the 5D, their shutters go off before I expect them to go off :lol:.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 18, 2009 15:49 |  #12

If it were up to #4, I would have said 5D MKII Should-have-been Edition.
Don't think they would implement sensor IS looking at the lens lineup.

4) "Real" Auto ISO

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 18, 2009 18:51 |  #13

I would call it "My Dream Camera".

joe ­ mama
THREAD ­ STARTER
666 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 19, 2009 12:38 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

nicksan wrote in post #7945055 (external link)
If it were up to #4, I would have said 5D MKII Should-have-been Edition.

:D:D:D

Don't think they would implement sensor IS looking at the lens lineup.

I see it exactly opposite. By that, I don't mean that they will implement sensor IS -- I agree that they won't -- but not because of the lens lineup. Let me explain. The only FF zooms with IS are the 24-105 / 4L IS and the 70-xxx zooms (as well as the 100-400 IS), which are all either slow, large, or both. All other IS lenses are long primes (save the 200 / 2L IS).

For longer focal lengths, there is a definite advantage to the stabilized viewfinder, so I think people might still prefer to spend more for those lenses even if the body had sensor IS. However, save the 24-105 / 4L IS, there are no shorter lenses with IS, and the advantages of lens IS are minor for such shorter focal lengths. And being able to get IS on all my lenses at once, as opposed to IS versions of the lenses I own trickling down over the years, if ever, would be very welcome. And, since the Sony A900 has shown that it can be done, without any major expense, there's no reason not to do so.

Then again, where was the reason not to implement items 1-4 on the list? Protection of the 1-series DSLRs? Seems lame, and, perhaps, even counterproductive. The reason I say that is because for all those who puchase a "5DII should-have-been" over a 1-series DSLR, they would likely spend their other disposable income on glass, so Canon gets their money either way.

But even that is short-sighted thinking. The goal is to attract as many people to your brand as possible. So even if those who chose the "5DII should-have-been" over 1D bodies choose to save their money, Canon would instead make more money off of those who now chose Canon instead of Nikon or Sony. Not only would they get the money from the bodies, but the money from all the glass these people would buy.

--joe

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 19, 2009 15:48 |  #15

I know that for me personally I had cash in hand ready to go on the 5DII until the specs came out. $2700 for no significant improvement in AF (some claim faster CPU = faster AF) when that was clearly one of the weak points of the 5D? Not what I was looking for. And since then Canon haven't gotten a single red cent from me--not cameras, lenses, flash. Nothing. Not out of spite or anything; just haven't seen the need. My 5D is doing just fine, and an upgrade to a 5DII would've been mostly about unnecessary perks that I wouldn't turn down but aren't worth the upgrade without the essentials. Not at $2700 anyway. Once it gets into the $1800-1900 range like the 5D did at the end of its cycle I might revisit it, but I expect more out of a $2700 camera in terms of AF. I feel like I'm in the minority with all the 5DII hype and so many people lining up to buy one, but I know I've done what's right for my situation.

Meanwhile I'm looking at Pentax because their tiny primes fascinate me and they have a body coming out to complete the well-equipped, small form-factor concept. So for this one user at least, Canon dropped the ball and lost certain revenue because of their 5DII direction, and might end up handing that money over to another company.

It'll be interesting to see the 5DIII. I'd like to see if Canon intend to continue with the large-sensor-with-a-prosumer-feature-set concept, or if the 5D line will finally include concessions like pro AF to stem the tide of people giving the Nikon D700 a serious look. A D700 with a Canon mount would've been just the camera I was looking for in the 5DII, and there's still hope for the next version. At the very least some kind of in-between AF that has all cross-type sensors and a better layout.

sponsored links

4,236 views & 0 likes for this thread
What to call this camera?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.