Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 17 May 2009 (Sunday) 03:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I Met Him at the Jungle Gym!

RMXSeven
310 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

May 17, 2009 03:18 |  #1

Hey Guys,

A friend of mine wanted some portraits taken as he wants to apply for work as an extra in films.

So, packed up my gear, and headed of to the park with a remote controlled tripod for fill light tinkering. (Just got my lighting gear in the mail!)

This is my first attempt at manipulating light sources etc so any advice is much appreciated!

Was trying to show how "dynamic" he can be, but will most likely head out next weekend for attempt #2 to fix up issues that you guys mention here!!!

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2457/3537599543_c3a8a3e018_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2117/3538412610_3460ed18d8_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3661/3538413556_8a2dfebd06_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2337/3537602055_71d7d449a2_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2327/3537602555_744beebbe5_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3297/3537603423_fd7920b97d_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3298/3538416702_c841467ba8_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2188/3537598915_ced2e30a65_b.jpg

In #4, you can see my arms shadow on his face, as the sun was behind me. Is there any way of fixing this in PP? (Should probably just reshoot and take 2 steps to the right...)

Also, his eyelashes tend to drop these shadows outwards as well.
Hmmm....

So, any CC much appreciated.

~Ronen

Canon 40D | EFs 10-22 | EFs 17-85 | Sigma 70-300 APO | EF 50mm Fantastic Plastic
FujiFilm X-E1 (Sexy One)

sponsored links
Stutterbug
176 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 17, 2009 12:15 |  #2

I'm still a rookie so take what I say with caution. I think number one could use a bounce board to fill the left side of his face, also maybe not such a tight crop so his hair doesn't get cut off.

The rest look a little strange and I think that's because of his expression. It looks like he's really trying to hold his eyes as wide open as he can and looks very odd to me.He looks very unnatural to me in most of the shots.

Canon 7D, EF 28-70L, EF 50, EF 28-90, EF 75-300, EF 35-70, EFS 28-135 and a desire to learn.

RMXSeven
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 17, 2009 18:08 |  #3

He does tend to look unnatural in real life too! ;)

Hmm, #5 seems way too soft looking at it this morning.... geez.

Thanks for the input ;)

~Ronen

Canon 40D | EFs 10-22 | EFs 17-85 | Sigma 70-300 APO | EF 50mm Fantastic Plastic
FujiFilm X-E1 (Sexy One)

jtso23
43 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 18, 2009 04:11 |  #4

#3 looks the most natural to me

Canon 40D | Tamron 17-50 | Nifty Fifty | Canon 430exII | Manfrotto 190XPROB w/488RC4 head | Phottix Strato C8|

RMXSeven
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 18, 2009 19:01 |  #5

No other comments/cc?

~Ronen

FujiFilm X-E1 (Sexy One)

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 18, 2009 20:38 as a reply to  @ RMXSeven's post |  #6

I don't see alot of "dynamic".I just don't see "comfortable".get him looser than this.himself but ready for the shot coming?

Watch the up the nose shots, not complementary to anyone.;)

Also, some color in his shirt would help bring out his eyes.blue/green, but a solid.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

masterwillems
502 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 19, 2009 09:51 as a reply to  @ Flo's post |  #7

As for me, number one is the winner.
This because it does not feel so "static" and "emotionless" as the rest of the pictures.

Number two is just a pose.

Number three can go through although I don't really "get" the image.

Number four is just "strange" for me, wy is he in this "attack" mode? what is his purpose of this?

number five and six doesn't appeal to me in any way and his face is OOF.

Number seven: The cell phone should be out of his pocket, this looks a bit strange (although we all know what it is, I don't think we want to see it in a picture) and his face is also OOF.

Number eight is just strange with his eye's wide open.

Hello!
Gear

Name:
Jeroen

tonydee
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 19, 2009 09:51 |  #8

#2's the only one I like.

#1: needs to shave those white hairs under his lower lip... really puts me off... plus both eyes need to be sharp. Lighting from a higher angle might work better.

#3 looks a bit soft.

#4 comes closest to conveying some alternative emotion, but - from the perspective of a martial arts instructor - I'd laugh at anyone threatening me with a stick held like that.

#5 makes him look like he's stoned.

#6 is fine as a photo but doesn't communicate much.

#7 has exposure issues.

#8 looks contrived, as if he's pointedly widened his eyes without moving his mouth.

In a few of them, his eyes look soft and filmy somehow even when the lashes are reasonably sharp... I'd use a touch of selective sharpening so there's more there for the viewer to settle on.

Cheers, Tony

5D and too much glass. Mamiya 645E.
http://www.picasaweb.c​om/anthonypon (external link) recent work

RMXSeven
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 19, 2009 10:58 |  #9

Awesome,

I'll reshoot this weekend and give it another bash.

Thanks for the CC guys.

~Ronen

FujiFilm X-E1 (Sexy One)

SAB_Click
443 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 19, 2009 11:28 as a reply to  @ RMXSeven's post |  #10

Please don't forget to show us the images from the second shoot when they are available.

I think most people have covered the type of comments I would have made. I'm no expert but would say to try and get your friend to relax and for you to engage with him during the shoot to take the 'forced' look off the pictures. Also your lighting looks very hard - did you use bare flash?

vpnd
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 19, 2009 11:55 |  #11

i like the idea and look of #7, but the contrasst and ratios are off the charts. The rest look forced and at times a bit psychotic.

Canon "Snappy".... Thanks Mom and Dad!
"I don't like to play dress up, or pet my gear. I like to shoot stuff and then print it and put it on my wall."

RMXSeven
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 19, 2009 18:30 |  #12

SAB_Click wrote in post #7950368 (external link)
Please don't forget to show us the images from the second shoot when they are available.

But of course!
That's what learning is all about ;)

SAB_Click wrote in post #7950368 (external link)
...Also your lighting looks very hard - did you use bare flash?

On the first few, I shot through a semi-transparent diffuser panel.
Then, it became a little hard to juggle due to wind, so I used a diffuser thats inbuilt into my flash, and a reflector card (Also build into flash).

#7 was direct flash, its kinda the feel I was after. For me, the High contrast adds to the "surrealness". But, I probably went a little over-board.

Also just learnt how to dodge/burn in Aperture (Sooo easy with the new plugin), So with the next batch, I'll give them the once over with PP. (Selective sharpening etc is also new to this plugin, so I'll do that too!)

We'll have more time this weekend (assuming it doesn't rain) so It won't be as rushed.
Maybe I'll try converse with him more.... But you know what they say about assuming.... It makes an ASS out of yoU and ME!

Thanks again for CC.

~Ronen

FujiFilm X-E1 (Sexy One)

sponsored links

1,546 views & 0 likes for this thread
I Met Him at the Jungle Gym!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.