Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 18 May 2009 (Monday) 13:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

10-12 yr old baseball along the Austrian border

sk82712
227 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2006

May 18, 2009 13:00 |  #1

Well, I got an invite to shoot a youth baseball game for one of the guys in my unit, who's also a coach. here are the results. C&C needed! They also wanted to do baseball cards, so i'll post one of those.

-Adam

edit : All at ~160 iso, 70-200 f/2.8 (IS off), AV mode, AF on. The parents are very pleased with the pictures so far.

IMAGE: http://i39.tinypic.com/2ltiqq.jpg
IMAGE: http://i42.tinypic.com/j6sb6h.jpg
IMAGE: http://i42.tinypic.com/k12ptx.jpg
IMAGE: http://i40.tinypic.com/2hzoud.jpg
IMAGE: http://i44.tinypic.com/5y9b93.jpg
IMAGE: http://i44.tinypic.com/2elxu6p.jpg
IMAGE: http://i40.tinypic.com/30112rl.jpg
IMAGE: http://i43.tinypic.com/2d8ko0k.jpg

A7R3
instagram.com/heller.p​hoto (external link)

sponsored links
cstewart
Goldmember
1,866 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2008

May 18, 2009 13:37 |  #2

Adam:

Can you let us know what your settings and gear are? I ask because all the images appear slightly out of focus or soft and we can assist with any technical reasons why if we know that. Exposure wise, I think they could all be a half stop or more brighter...I often shoot baseball at +2/3 to +1 overexposed to assist with shadows under hats. Baseball card format looks good but players face is OOF and this needs to be tack sharp for an item like this.

For the RH pitcher shot, you should move to the 3B side of the field so he is "open" to you and so his arm and hat will not block his face, or directly behind backstop slightly to 3B side and shoot through fence. Catcher should also be shot from further up baseline so you can see his face and get eyes in shot. For batter shots too, try and move up the baselines more. I usually position myself even with or slightly beyond first or third base down the lines and then shoot batters as they come out of their swing. For reference purposes, I have posted a few images from some of my recent threads of what I am referring to above and the shots you can get from just slightly different positioning:

Pitcher

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Catcher
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Batter: I am even with 1B shooting in to plate
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Cheers!

Chris

Please Check Out My Work at:
Independent Sports News (external link) -- Sports Shooter (external link) --Web Site (external link) -- Facebook (external link) -- iStockphoto.com (external link)--Twitter (external link)
Gear: 1DX; 1D4; 70D gripped; 40D gripped; ; EFS10-22; EFS 17-55; EF 16-35; EF 135; EF 70-200 II; EF 300; EF 1.4X II Extender, 580 EX II Flash

sk82712
THREAD ­ STARTER
227 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 18, 2009 13:42 |  #3

Thanks chris, I shot this on my 1dMKiii, and 70-200 f/2.8 IS. It was my first time shooting baseball so i wasn't exactly sure what positions would work for me. Now that you mention it, they definately do seem OOF or soft. Thanks for the C&C, it's a ppreciated

A7R3

J.Napier
886 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 18, 2009 18:44 |  #4

Adam,
Actually this is not a bad start. Are you using the * button to focas or half press of shutter? cstewart has given you some nice examples to follow here. You can check my site as well too if you wish.
Were you shooting at 2.8? My 70-200 is always sharper at 3.2 -3.5. What was your shutter speed? It looks like you had the light and I would bring my ISO up to 400 it gives you more lee way (options). Maybe try manual next time out, it takes some getting used to but its worth it. Were you using AI servo and Center point metering for focus?
A monopod might not hurt either the 70 -200 is not all that heavy but sometimes every bit helps after a long day of handholding. Are you using any sharpening in PP?
Thanks for sharing, ooking forward to seeing more.

pacdzyne

Jeff
Gear List
www.jni-ss.com / (external link)Blog (external link)
Sportshooterpage (external link) / Maxpreps (external link)
Facebook  (external link)/

sk82712
THREAD ­ STARTER
227 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 18, 2009 23:41 |  #5

pacdzyne wrote in post #7945988 (external link)
Adam,
Actually this is not a bad start. Are you using the * button to focas or half press of shutter? cstewart has given you some nice examples to follow here. You can check my site as well too if you wish.
Were you shooting at 2.8? My 70-200 is always sharper at 3.2 -3.5. What was your shutter speed? It looks like you had the light and I would bring my ISO up to 400 it gives you more lee way (options). Maybe try manual next time out, it takes some getting used to but its worth it. Were you using AI servo and Center point metering for focus?
A monopod might not hurt either the 70 -200 is not all that heavy but sometimes every bit helps after a long day of handholding. Are you using any sharpening in PP?
Thanks for sharing, ooking forward to seeing more.

pacdzyne

PAC, I was using the "half click", f/2.8, my shutter speed was 1/2500 for the majority of photos at ISO 200. It was bright. I was on AI servo and evaluative, I also set my AF to the center focal point. No post sharpening. What would you recommend for picture settings? I think my colors are a bit off. And maybe adjusting the sharpness on the camera will help.

-Adam

A7R3

cstewart
Goldmember
1,866 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2008

May 19, 2009 11:04 |  #6

Adam:

I'd suggest NOT using any in camera sharpening. Shoot RAW and then adjust as needed in post processing. Digital images almost always need some sharpening in post prior to conversion to JPEG. I use Lightroom and set sharpening amount to 70. Also, suggest you learn how to move focus to the back * button (Custom Function IV on Canon Cameras). Search for threads here on it for details. ALthough it seems initially confusing, it really does help improve focus in sports photography. My keepers (especially for ice hockey) went up dramatically as soon as I got the hang of using it.

Please Check Out My Work at:
Independent Sports News (external link) -- Sports Shooter (external link) --Web Site (external link) -- Facebook (external link) -- iStockphoto.com (external link)--Twitter (external link)
Gear: 1DX; 1D4; 70D gripped; 40D gripped; ; EFS10-22; EFS 17-55; EF 16-35; EF 135; EF 70-200 II; EF 300; EF 1.4X II Extender, 580 EX II Flash

puzzle
347 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 11, 2009 10:43 as a reply to  @ cstewart's post |  #7

I know im not the OP but thanks to Chris and Jeff for your useful comments and suggestions here !!

I have some questions regarding your suggestions.

How does using Centre point metering help you with focusing? or did you mean set the AF to the central focal point?

If this is the case, is Evaluative metering advisable for baseball shots?

Lastly how would shooting at ISO 400 give you more options? It would simply allow you to shoot at a faster shutter speed right which doesn't seem necessary as the OP was already shooting at a sufficient shutter speed. I guess on duller days however this could be a big advantage. Is there any other advantage for shooting at higher ISO's other than increasing SS/decreasing aperture?

Canon5D mkII | 50D | Canon 24-70 f2.8L | Canon EF 85 f1.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex ii *2 | Elinchrom Skyports | Macbook Pro
http://www.paulwills.c​om (external link)

sponsored links

1,963 views & 0 likes for this thread
10-12 yr old baseball along the Austrian border
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.