Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 18 May 2009 (Monday) 15:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone use the knock-off battery packs for 580EX?

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

May 18, 2009 15:43 |  #1

Ebay seems to have several different kinds - some use 6 batteries and some use 8. At $60, that's a considerable savings over a new CP-E4 or even a used CP-E3.

Just curious. What's been your experience?

Thanks to the Canon rebates, I now have a new 580 EX II. Football is just around the corner.
Thanks
Mike

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

sponsored links
NVcameraman
263 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 19, 2009 01:34 |  #2

make your own pack and is even cheaper :)

Ben Morrow :) www.eagleeyephotograph​y.us (external link)
20D|Rebel XT|D30|Sigma 120-300 f2.8|Sigma 70-210 f2.8|Sigma 24-70 f2.8|Sigma 12-24 f4.5-5.6|Tamron 75-300 f4-5.6|Canon 50 f1.8|580EX|420EX|Sunpa​k 544 x2| Quantum 1+ battery|DIY battery pack

MDteX
310 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 19, 2009 08:26 |  #3

This has been debated before but I can't find the thread. My thought, and some others, is why chance an expensive flash to a cheap battery back to save a few bucks. I have the canon CP-E4. Not worth the risk IMHO. But the few buck savings may be worth it to you and others.

Canon 1DMkIV, Canon 1DMkIII, Canon 50D
24-70 f2.8L, 85 f1.2L II, 70-200 f2.8L ISII, 300 f2.8L IS
2 x 580EXII, 430EXII, 3 x PocketWizard FlexTT5, Mini TT1 & Cybersyncs

Einsteins and CyberCommander

MT ­ Stringer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

May 19, 2009 10:57 |  #4

make your own pack and is even cheaper

I've made them before (year before last). I was just doing some research on an alternative route. This 580 is brand new and I'm not interested in doing any body work on it. The 540EZ's and the 430EX I had each had some grinding on the door so the cable would pass through.

I've still got the battery pack but I took it apart and haven't reassembled it. I wanted more power. After about 600 pops at 1/4 power, it was taking longer than 2 seconds to recycle, and during a basketball game, 2 seconds can be a long time! :-(

I was using the 6v, 4.5 ah battery. I'd like to be able to get off at least three shots during play on the football field. I've given up trying to strobe the basketball game with hot shoe flash.

Mike

Here's my battery pack project from the past.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i226.photobucke​t.com …ck%20Projext/Pa​k6-650.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i226.photobucke​t.com …ck%20Projext/Pa​k5-650.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

My Gear List

NVcameraman
263 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 20, 2009 02:34 |  #5

MT Stringer wrote in post #7950162 (external link)
I've made them before (year before last). I was just doing some research on an alternative route. This 580 is brand new and I'm not interested in doing any body work on it. The 540EZ's and the 430EX I had each had some grinding on the door so the cable would pass through.

I've still got the battery pack but I took it apart and haven't reassembled it. I wanted more power. After about 600 pops at 1/4 power, it was taking longer than 2 seconds to recycle, and during a basketball game, 2 seconds can be a long time! :-(

I was using the 6v, 4.5 ah battery. I'd like to be able to get off at least three shots during play on the football field. I've given up trying to strobe the basketball game with hot shoe flashes.

I have used an Al Jacob's tuxedo which has a 1.4 Ah battery before for basketball and it lasted for 3 games (freshman, JV, and Varsity) My pack I made is a 3.5Ah I used two 550EX or two 580EX and even two Sunpak 544 for basketball, volleyball, and wrestling and never seem to have a problem with hotshoe flashes covering these events. I use a 580EX for football on ETTL plus 1 or manual at 1/4 power and never have to worry about shots with the pack I use.

The Canon CP-E4 or CP-E3 are high voltage packs that run right into the the flashes built in connector. But remember the saying "Speed Kills". Do you want your flash to act like running a 100m dash super fast and poop out or act like it is running a marathon being steady and going on for ever? That is the question you have to ask yourself and deside.

20D|Rebel XT|D30|Sigma 120-300 f2.8|Sigma 70-210 f2.8|Sigma 24-70 f2.8|Sigma 12-24 f4.5-5.6|Tamron 75-300 f4-5.6|Canon 50 f1.8|580EX|420EX|Sunpa​k 544 x2| Quantum 1+ battery|DIY battery pack

kandyredcoi
Goldmember
1,611 posts
Joined May 2009

May 20, 2009 02:55 |  #6

anyone thought about using Li-Po power?

they're lightweight and powerful!

Unique Custom Watch Straps--> www.CTDesigns.us (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 20, 2009 07:09 |  #7

I have the six battery version (don't recall there being an 8 cell version back when I purchased it) and it does a fine job. Nothing too sophisticated about a battery pack so no reason to spend Canon types of prices.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
12,930 posts
Gallery: 302 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Oct 2006

May 20, 2009 11:05 |  #8

Just two add to the discussion, Amazon.com (via 47th Street Photo) has an Opteka External Battery Pack (6 batteries) version for Canon Speedlights... Linky below for those who are interested:

Opteka External Flash Battery Pack for Canon 580EX Speedlites (external link)

I personally don't have experience with Opteka's battery pack, but will considering them as an alternative to Canon's CP-E4 version... As with both version, they will only work for the 580EX and EXII models...

- airbutchie :D

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

MT ­ Stringer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

May 20, 2009 11:23 |  #9

Thanks Airbutchie. I saw the Opteka version last night.

Still pondering about the whole thing.
Mike

My Gear List

mufutau55
Goldmember
1,278 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 20, 2009 13:41 |  #10

Do a search for it here.. There was a review of this Battery Pack one time here. The Review was very positive.

Mufutau

MT Stringer wrote in post #7956931 (external link)
Thanks Airbutchie. I saw the Opteka version last night.

Still pondering about the whole thing.
Mike

morpheus6d9
435 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 20, 2009 20:18 |  #11

https://photography-on-the.net …light=opteka+ba​ttery+pack

https://photography-on-the.net …t=573629&highli​ght=clones

50D | 60mm f/2.8 macro |Tokina 12-24 f/4 | Nifty-Fifty | SB-20 | 580 EXII

tim
Light Bringer
50,977 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 20, 2009 23:48 as a reply to  @ morpheus6d9's post |  #12

NVcameraman wrote in post #7955098 (external link)
I have used an Al Jacob's tuxedo which has a 1.4 Ah battery before for basketball and it lasted for 3 games (freshman, JV, and Varsity) My pack I made is a 3.5Ah I used two 550EX or two 580EX and even two Sunpak 544 for basketball, volleyball, and wrestling and never seem to have a problem with hotshoe flashes covering these events. I use a 580EX for football on ETTL plus 1 or manual at 1/4 power and never have to worry about shots with the pack I use.

The Canon CP-E4 or CP-E3 are high voltage packs that run right into the the flashes built in connector. But remember the saying "Speed Kills". Do you want your flash to act like running a 100m dash super fast and poop out or act like it is running a marathon being steady and going on for ever? That is the question you have to ask yourself and deside.

I don't agree with this. They're made to take high voltage packs, whereas the battery compartment is made to take batteries not a high current source. I know which seems more sensible to me. Flashes are generally burned out by being fired too quickly and burning the flash out, not by using a different power source.

I've used a CP-E3 and a CP-E4 on my Canon flashes for years with no problems, and I wouldn't be without them.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

NVcameraman
263 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 21, 2009 02:36 |  #13

tim wrote in post #7961036 (external link)
I don't agree with this. They're made to take high voltage packs, whereas the battery compartment is made to take batteries not a high current source. I know which seems more sensible to me. Flashes are generally burned out by being fired too quickly and burning the flash out, not by using a different power source.

A 6v SLA is not a high current source. To the flash it is the same 6v as if it had 4 AA batteries inside it. A SLA is just going to maintain that same 6v for a lot longer period of time.

And you did agree with me that "Speed Kills" because the high voltage packs allows someone to rapid fire flash to quickly. That is what kills the flashes from over heating. I didnt say anything about a different power source being the killer.

It is like having a car that can do 200mph. Just because it can do it does not mean it is smart to do it on regular basis.

Now dont get me wrong I thing the CP-E4 pack is a great idea and I like that fact that you can plug it right into the flash port that is built in. But you still have to keep batteries in the flash unit to run it. The battery pack just accelerates the recharge with more power. With battery mods you have to cut slots in the flash and door to be able to close them thus "damaging" the flash unit.

tim
Light Bringer
50,977 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 21, 2009 03:25 |  #14

SLAs can supply a LOT more current than AA batteries. I found that out the hard way - I wired a SLA battery directly onto the circuit board of a Sunpak 383 and it almost caught fire at a wedding. It couldn't handle the current. So I guess you can burn a flash out in more than one way.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

NVcameraman
263 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 21, 2009 06:00 |  #15

Now I am no electrical engineer so answer me this.

If your using a Quantum Bantam and or a Al Jacob's Tuxedo these use the same battery. It is a Powersonic PS-612 6v 1.4Ah SLA battery.

If you are using Energizer MAX AA batteries, those are 1.2v at 2450 mAh and or 2.45 Ah.

So? What is pushing more current?

Also if you are using four of the AA rechargeable in the flash you are only getting 4.8v you would need 5 to get you the 6v. So in a battery pack that takes 6 batteries you are only getting 7.2v instead of 9v when using alkaline batteries.

sponsored links

2,989 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone use the knock-off battery packs for 580EX?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.