Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 May 2009 (Monday) 20:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3 Reasons You Chose Canon

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

May 18, 2009 21:41 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

1. My photography friends all have Canon (lens market)
2. I have/use a Canon XL2 video camera for my video work (trust Canon)
3. Lenses.

sponsored links
KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Gallery: 572 photos
Joined Oct 2008

May 18, 2009 21:57 |  #17

Depth wrote in post #7946699 (external link)
3. Ergonomics of everything that's not a Rebel

Thats book worthy, If my first had been a Rebel rather than a N75 I probubly woulda never bothered with photography....That N75 was actually a really awesome film SLR

Actually the fun part of my story is i had gone to the store to look at the Minolta Dimage Z1....But a friend of mine told me heavily "Look into getting a film SLR instead..get a Nikon" and so I talked to the guy and he said "Seriously, Go with the Nikon if you have any idea of taking up photography..the Z1 sucks"

Well he was right, playing with the Z1 for 5 minutes I knew it kinda..sucked..lol

The other interesting thing was at the time I was friends with the regional Canon rep and I told him i was thinking of getting a camera for photography, He told me if i went Canon he'd get me the Digital Rebel at his employee price, which was something like $800..At the time, That was freaking unheard of[A Rebel was still over $1000 at the time, it was $200-300 off], as well as photography classes and a bunch of other things..

The reason I didnt was purely lack of interest in shooting digital at the time, after handling a film SLR I felt film was right, I wanted film and before I went to the store I didnt get to ask him about Canon's options for film photography...At the time Digitals of all sorts were still fairly new, They still lagged, the image quality wasnt very good..the screens were tiny and dim...and we didnt have programs like Aperture and Lightroom to edit in...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 18, 2009 22:04 |  #18

1) It's not Sony
2) It's not Sony
3) It's not Nikon

;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 18, 2009 22:05 |  #19

Coming back to photography after a 15 year hiatus, I researched and learned that many reviews preferred the XSi over the D40 (or was it D60 at the time?) for the fact that the Canon could use any EF/EF-S lens, and it was superior or equal in high-ISO noise.

Then, the 5D. Wonderful camera. :) :) :)

So,
1. Affordable full-frame (5D)
2. Lenses...especially 85L and 135L
3. See #1 :) But really, ergonomics. Nikons are full of tiny buttons and a confusing, convoluted menu structure that buries important functions. Although I would like radio flash control in a Canon body. :)

flickr (external link)

macroshot
Stuck by a stickie
2,983 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 18, 2009 22:05 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #20

^^ Jay -so I take it you're a big fan of Sony?

I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed.
~ Garry Winogrand

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Gallery: 572 photos
Joined Oct 2008

May 18, 2009 22:06 |  #21

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #7947213 (external link)
1) It's not Sony
2) It's not Sony
3) It's not Nikon

;)

Ok i cant stop laughing XD

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

macroshot
Stuck by a stickie
2,983 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 18, 2009 22:08 as a reply to  @ KenjiS's post |  #22

Probably trauma related to the betamax era...

~ Garry Winogrand

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Mythical Tasmania (the one with lots of tall buildings in the semi-tropics, A.K.A. Hong Kong)

May 18, 2009 22:12 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

We had a Betamax video player. Man that thing sucked (after VHS took over that is).

Sorta became useless... man did we bet on the wrong horse.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 18, 2009 22:12 |  #24

macroshot wrote in post #7947239 (external link)
Probably trauma related to the betamax era...

Funny! Though Betamax was the superior format... I mean they went on to develop BetaCam which is still in wide use today. They never came up with VHSCam as a format however...

Naw, I was just kind of poking a little fun at the OP. I was a long-time Canon FD film shooter so the migration to Canon Digital was more or less a lock. The T-90 was/is so much like the EOS line that the biggest initial difference was simply the LCD in the back.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

macroshot
Stuck by a stickie
2,983 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 18, 2009 22:17 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #25

Well, just remember that should you ever be stranded on a deserted tropical island with no other source of material that can bind large sticks or trees together, just find the betamax or vhs in the fedex packages that wash up on shore and you'll be off the island in a jiff!! Try that with a dvd, huh?

~ Garry Winogrand

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 18, 2009 22:17 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #7947270 (external link)
Funny! Though Betamax was the superior format... I mean they went on to develop BetaCam which is still in wide use today. They never came up with VHSCam as a format however...

Naw, I was just kind of poking a little fun at the OP. I was a long-time Canon FD film shooter so the migration to Canon Digital was more or less a lock. The T-90 was/is so much like the EOS line that the biggest initial difference was simply the LCD in the back.

Our school had a VHS tape based video camera. Also my 1st video camera was VHS-C which was basically a compact VHS tape..

No VHS-Cam though. ;)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 18, 2009 22:20 |  #27

1. I fell
2. for the
3. adverts.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Stealthy ­ Ninja
Cream of the Crop
14,387 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 18, 2009 22:23 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

cdifoto wrote in post #7947329 (external link)
1. I fell
2. for the
3. adverts.

You mean Ashton Kutcher didn't sway you?!

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 18, 2009 22:24 |  #29

Stealthy Ninja wrote in post #7947352 (external link)
You mean Ashton Kutcher didn't sway you?!

My decision predated Kutcher. It was Agassi's sexy shorts (external link) that did it for me.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

macroshot
Stuck by a stickie
2,983 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 18, 2009 22:25 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #30

I think I saw that coming.

~ Garry Winogrand

sponsored links

16,071 views & 0 likes for this thread
3 Reasons You Chose Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.