Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 18 May 2009 (Monday) 21:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone using 32 GB cards? CF and SDHC

SOT
I make up stuff about Cameras
915 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 18, 2009 21:10 |  #1

if so what brand and how are they working in say a 1D MK III?

http://img81.imageshac​k.us/img81/8646/captur​e1o.jpg (external link)

sponsored links
tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 19, 2009 05:48 |  #2

I use a 32GB Transcend 133X CF card in my 1D3 and another in my 50D. The biggest single shoot so far gave me 17.9GB of images on the 50D. I've had both cards since last October and had no problems to date. Unless you routinely fill the camera buffer, which I don't, I see little point in paying a lot more money for faster cards. I'll take capacity over maximum card speed.

If you look at Rob Galbraith's card performance analysis you can see the 1D3 simply does not write out images very quickly - http://www.robgalbrait​h.com …ti_page.asp?cid​=6007-9038 (external link) - so the really fast cards will be wasted on that camera. Of course, there is the argument for rapid downloading speeds, with a suitable card reader, but I have no problem waiting for a download to finish. I can start reviewing the first several images long before the download completes, or simply go and make a cup of tea while downloading.

The 1D3 also has a 16GB SDHC (Transcend Class 6) card but I do not make use of it in normal shooting. I leave it in the camera "just in case".

aram535
Goldmember
1,915 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 19, 2009 09:36 |  #3

I do use SanDisk and Transcent 16GB all the time. I've yet to fill them up. I do use a 8GB SanDisk III when I do sports though.

Gear List * www.tranquilphotos.com (external link) * My Blog (external link)

funhouse69
999 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 23, 2009 22:44 |  #4

I have a 5DMK2 and I use a combo of Transcend and Sandisk Cards. I've had good luck with both of them. I do find that the Sandisk cards (newer 30MB / Sec) download way faster which I know makes sense. When you are talking about large cards and lots of files it does make a difference. I don't find myself shooting any kind of burst with the MK2 so I haven't ran in to issues with the camera waiting for the card.

My Online Gallery (external link)
>>> My Gear List / Feedback <<<

For Sale LowePro Super Trekker

captainkimo
108 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 24, 2009 06:24 |  #5

I don't use 32 gb memory cards. I prefer splitting it and using a number of 4 to 8 gigs. If one fails, I still have spare. That's just me though. :)

Cheers!

Captain Kimo

HDR Photography by Captain Kimo
www.CaptainKimo.com (external link)
Reach the Captain on FaceBook (external link)

JackLiu
570 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 24, 2009 11:09 |  #6

As per captainkimo, I also don't use 32GB memory cards. Prefer to use 8GB/16GB cards in event of failure. It's a little insurance of not losing a lot of images.

"Love life and life will love you back. Love people and they will love you back." Arthur Rubinstein.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 24, 2009 11:56 |  #7

I just bought a 16 gig Transcend 133x and am wondering it I will ever fill it. I have mostly 4 gig Transcend 133/266/300x cards. If you don't shoot repeat long bursts, you'll never notice the difference between the speeds, in camera. The 266/300x cards are noticeaby faster downloading to a computer using a card reader.

The 16 gig was bought for an upcoming trip. I just didn't have enough memory for the anticipated shooting I will be doing. I'll still have to be somewhat selective with only 32 gigs in total.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Tatexi
35 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 24, 2009 12:44 |  #8

tdodd wrote in post #7948822 (external link)
I use a 32GB Transcend 133X CF card in my 1D3 and another in my 50D.

I've had the exact same card on my 50D for about a month now. I've never had any problems with flash based storage so far so I felt confident buying a one large one and save the trouble of swapping instead of a couple of smaller cards.

The damn thing apparently died on me two days ago. I was able to recover most of the images with external card reader (they are all there on the card, just about 1/3 refuse to open in any program I have capable of opening RAWs). Symptoms started with 50D telling me error code 20 (problem with card), then the camera froze and refused to turn on or off (removing battery did obviously work). Now after some fumbling the camera plays with me again but won't format the card ("Cannot format. Change card.") and using the external card reader on Windows says pretty much the same.

I really hope it's the card only that's busted.

tatexi.net (external link)

Duncan ­ Frenz
Purposely evaded the TF
1,553 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 24, 2009 13:03 |  #9

Tatexi wrote in post #7979640 (external link)
I've had the exact same card on my 50D for about a month now. I've never had any problems with flash based storage so far so I felt confident buying a one large one and save the trouble of swapping instead of a couple of smaller cards.

The damn thing apparently died on me two days ago. I was able to recover most of the images with external card reader (they are all there on the card, just about 1/3 refuse to open in any program I have capable of opening RAWs). Symptoms started with 50D telling me error code 20 (problem with card), then the camera froze and refused to turn on or off (removing battery did obviously work). Now after some fumbling the camera plays with me again but won't format the card ("Cannot format. Change card.") and using the external card reader on Windows says pretty much the same.

I really hope it's the card only that's busted.

Have you tried formatting it from the card reader? If not, I would recommend doing so using the FAT file system, then formatting the card in the camera.

I haven't used any of Transcend's 133X card but do use their 300X UDMA cards without drama. They have performed as well as my Sandisk Extreme IV and III cards and I have switched to them for all future purchases for this camera.

- Duncan
Gear_Mor
e than I need, Less than I want
Nonconformists are all alike.
I am not an expert, but I play one on the internet.:D

Tatexi
35 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 26, 2009 13:29 |  #10

Duncan Frenz wrote in post #7979704 (external link)
Have you tried formatting it from the card reader? If not, I would recommend doing so using the FAT file system, then formatting the card in the camera.

I did eventually get it to format and it seemed to work somewhat. However, after trying to fill it using the external card reader and Windows 7 RC ISO images, I got it to about 2/3 full after it stopped accepting any more writes.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 27, 2009 03:18 |  #11

I've never had a card go bad, so never tried this myself, but what happens if you use Windows' disk error-checking? That may mark off any bad sectors as 'do not use'.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Tatexi
35 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 02, 2009 04:09 |  #12

hollis_f wrote in post #7996042 (external link)
I've never had a card go bad, so never tried this myself, but what happens if you use Windows' disk error-checking? That may mark off any bad sectors as 'do not use'.

I don't think that would do any good as such tools are meant for magnetic disks rather than flash based memories.

Anyhow I just replaced the card (was under warranty) and the new one is working perfectly (and I did test to write it to full before putting it in any real use, just in case :)).

SWeidemann
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Jun 10, 2010 11:21 as a reply to  @ Tatexi's post |  #13

Folks,

I have one 32 GB Sandisk card that I've only used a few times. (I usually shoot 4 GB cards because it's easier to keep them on a single sided DVD without a lot of file splitting). I shot a job recently where the camera/flashcard "claimed" it was full. On checking later I found only about 7GB used up. Seems like I should get much more info than that on a card of that size. Any ideas? I was using a Eos 1ds MKII and shooting simultaneous JPG and RAW.

Thanks, Skot

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 10, 2010 12:50 as a reply to  @ SWeidemann's post |  #14

Some one here on the forum was commenting on 32 gig cards and brought up the question " how many irreplaceable shots are you willing to lose if your card fails?" I thought about that and have been using 2,4 and 8 gig cards only since then.

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

spb
583 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 10, 2010 13:12 |  #15

captainkimo wrote in post #7978433 (external link)
I don't use 32 gb memory cards. I prefer splitting it and using a number of 4 to 8 gigs. If one fails, I still have spare. That's just me though. :)

+1

-spb

60d | 50d | grip | 11-16 2.8 | 17-55 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 24-105 | 70-200 II | 60 macro | 580EXII x2
flickr (external link) | gear | feedback

sponsored links

5,161 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone using 32 GB cards? CF and SDHC
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.