Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 May 2009 (Wednesday) 00:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which lenses to bring?

Exposure101
555 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

May 20, 2009 00:33 |  #1

I started a similar thread but it had to do more with travel and I already found my answers to that part. Anyhow, which lenses should I bring to Jamaica?

I have the following:

Xsi w/kit lens
55-250mm
50mm 1.8
24-70mm 2.8
70-200 2.8 IS
10-22mm (will be borrowing this one if necessary)

Also, any issues with changing lenses often in high humidity places?

sponsored links
kandyredcoi
Goldmember
1,611 posts
Joined May 2009

May 20, 2009 00:35 |  #2

imho Kit lens with 55-250 should cover you just fine

my .02

Unique Custom Watch Straps--> www.CTDesigns.us (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,381 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 20, 2009 00:54 |  #3

i'd bring 10-22, 24-70, and 50mm

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 20, 2009 01:15 |  #4

I just came back from a weekend trip to the Bahamas - stayed at Atlantis Paradise Island. I brought with me my Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 DG EX HSM, Peleng 8mm f/3.5 Circular Fisheye, Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar T 2/58, and 580EX II.

I ended up using the Peleng 8mm, Sigma 12-24mm, CZJ Biotar T 2/58, and Canon 100mm Macro most.

It all comes down to what you will be shooting. For beach shots and panoramas the Peleng 8mm and Sigma 12-24mm got most of the workload. But I kept my CZJ Biotar in my pocket with me on the beach one day and happened upon a little bird just hanging out on the rocks, he ended up posing for some photos that came out nice. Also, I shot some great shots of water lilies and lily pads (with some frogs hanging out) with my 100mm Macro. While shooting "The Dig" at Atlantis, I used my Peleng 8mm for a very different perspective, also used this to capture the main lobby for HDR. Lastly, for restaurant shots with my family the Sigma 12-24 came in most handy. And lastly, on a tour of the famous wine cellar at the Graycliff's the 12-24 was the only lens used.

Given your options, I'd go with the 10-22, 24-70, and 70-200. I'd recommend bringing a good flash. As far as the 70-200, I'd only bring it with me under the following conditions... (a) you want to do some candid shooting, or (b) you want to shoot shots of people out in the ocean (friends enjoying watersports or swimming), or (c) you want to shoot out your hotel room window - otherwize it will be too long. It will definitely be too long indoors.

Alan "NuReality" Fronshtein
Gear List | PBase |  (external link)flickr (external link)
Lots of Fun, Lots of Laughs, Happy Trigger Finger!

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 20, 2009 01:54 |  #5

^ nice- I stayed there 2 years ago and loved it. The aquarium was insane!! Kind of wish I was into photography then.

Anyhow, it seems like the UWA and the zoom are the recommended lenses. The 70-200mm would be a good lens but I'm afraid it might be too big/heavy and attract too much attention. Perhaps bring the 55-250mm instead? ALso, did you have any problems with fogging in Bahamas?

bloh
129 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 20, 2009 02:10 as a reply to  @ Exposure101's post |  #6

70-200 2.8 IS
10-22mm (will be borrowing this one if necessary)

wide angle and candid shots.....IMO....

6d + 24-105
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kopitehtar​ik/ (external link)

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 20, 2009 02:10 |  #7

The 70-200 f/2.8L IS gets attention even in crowded cities, its definitely gonna get some unwanted attention in paradise. So you may want to leave it home if you are self-conscious or safety-conscious. The 55-250IS might be a better lens to take on that account - plus its much lighter and that might be a big plus considering you might not use it all that much.

Fogging wasn't a problem for me.

The UWA and the 24-70 will definitely get the most use of the lenses you listed. At least they would for me. I would say that the range of 10/12mm - 105mm is the optimal range for traveling.

yabbie
824 posts
Joined May 2007

May 20, 2009 03:17 as a reply to  @ nureality's post |  #8

I'd recommend taking the 24-70 and the ultra-wide zoom. I've used a combo of the 24-105 or 24-70 and 16-35 on several overseas trips - gives you good quality coverage for most situations, also without being too obvious. You'd get lots of candid surprised looks with the 70-200. The 24-70 is great for all lighting situations - being f/2.8. I prefer to take just 2 lenses, less to carry and makes lens choice easier while you are there.

Humidity - if you're there just for a short time, don't worry about it for lens changing. Otherwise, for a month or more, you should think about dry bags and lots of silica gel - and bag your gear when not in use, preferably after drying out a bit in aircon. I've had mould grow on a (luckily crappy) lens on a 6 week trip to Indonesia. I used this method when living in Lao (SE Asia) for a year, with complete success.

Alice
5DII, 35L, 50L, 85L, 135L, MP-E 65, 100 macro, Brolga the birding lens, macro twin flash, tripods, filters and a big box
http://www.lyrebird-gallery.smugmug.com (external link)

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 20, 2009 11:02 |  #9

bloh wrote:
wide angle and candid shots.....IMO....

Good point but I think a standard zoom would probably get more use. I remember shooting with the 10-22mm once and boy it was pretty tough to shoot people. I'll probably use the UWA for landscape and nothing else. :p

nureality wrote:
The 70-200 f/2.8L IS gets attention even in crowded cities, its definitely gonna get some unwanted attention in paradise. So you may want to leave it home if you are self-conscious or safety-conscious. The 55-250IS might be a better lens to take on that account - plus its much lighter and that might be a big plus considering you might not use it all that much.

Fogging wasn't a problem for me.

The UWA and the 24-70 will definitely get the most use of the lenses you listed. At least they would for me. I would say that the range of 10/12mm - 105mm is the optimal range for traveling.

That's good to hear about the fogging. As for the 70-200mm, I just don't want to attract too much attention (the bad kind). However, I'll be traveling in a large group so maybe that will help with the safety issue...who knows. I anticipate using the 24-70mm the most as well. Of course I'm saying this without knowing how heavy the 70-200mm really is (it's getting delivered today). :cool:

yabbie wrote in post #7955188 (external link)
I'd recommend taking the 24-70 and the ultra-wide zoom. I've used a combo of the 24-105 or 24-70 and 16-35 on several overseas trips - gives you good quality coverage for most situations, also without being too obvious. You'd get lots of candid surprised looks with the 70-200. The 24-70 is great for all lighting situations - being f/2.8. I prefer to take just 2 lenses, less to carry and makes lens choice easier while you are there.

Humidity - if you're there just for a short time, don't worry about it for lens changing. Otherwise, for a month or more, you should think about dry bags and lots of silica gel - and bag your gear when not in use, preferably after drying out a bit in aircon. I've had mould grow on a (luckily crappy) lens on a 6 week trip to Indonesia. I used this method when living in Lao (SE Asia) for a year, with complete success.

I will only be going for a week and will leave my gear in the backpack when I'm back to the hotel. Should I leave it out when entering the room before putting it back in the bag?

I figured the 24-70mm will probably stay on most of the time but having never been to Jamaica before, I was wondering if I need a telephoto for candid/nature/wildlife shots.

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 20, 2009 11:07 |  #10

definitely get yourself a box of the JUMBO ziplock bags and silica packs.

sponsored links

1,226 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which lenses to bring?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.