Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 May 2009 (Friday) 01:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

adobe mode or sRGB

rumplepigskin
189 posts
Joined May 2009

May 22, 2009 01:31 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

which mode do most of you shoot in ? I have never tried the Adobe mode and I am going to a ballon festival tomorrow. What do you guys suggest i shoot in? thanks in advance

sponsored links
anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 22, 2009 02:19 |  #2

I've been trying to wrap my head around the poorly-documented color profile thing, and what I've come up with is that so much defaults to sRGB that it's really the path of least resistance.

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

Philipthechef
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 22, 2009 02:21 as a reply to  @ anthony11's post |  #3

Adobe for printing, srgb for the net I think

50D, 17-40 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 50 f1.8

jeffbox
191 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 22, 2009 02:26 |  #4

Adobe for printing, srgb for the net I think

sRGB for printing and net
Adobe for editing

As for your camera, I'm really not sure!

5d / 85 1.8 / 50 1.4 / 17-40L
www.Bivage.com (external link)

LSUConnMan
94 posts
Joined May 2009

May 22, 2009 02:26 |  #5

Always shoot RGB, then you can assign the narrower gamut profiles PP according to the medium the photo will be used for. You can always subtract later, but you can never add.

John_T
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

May 22, 2009 03:05 |  #6

CIE is a French commission that established the number of colors the human eye can distinguish.

- sRGB displays about 30% of those colors, as those about cover plus or minus what an average middle-lower price monitor and printer can display/print, and primarily because of bandwidth, what the Web uses.

- Adobe RGB displays about 50% of the CIE colors and is suitable for higher end monitors and printers that can display/print them. My Eizo CG241W monitors can display about 97% of Adobe RGB colors and my Epson P3800 printer can print more colors than Adobe RGB, so my camera is set to Adobe RGB as is my LR/PS CS4 workspace and CS4 manages color for my prints. I convert to sRGB for web.

-ProPhoto RGB represents more or less the spectrum of colors in your RAW files, but while you can set LR and PS to ProPhoto RGB, it is doubtful your monitor will display or your printer will print more than what you get with Adobe RGB.

In summary,

- if your monitor and printer are not high end, you don't have any professional impetus and you publish mostly to Web, sRGB will do you and make life simpler in a WYSIWYG sense.

- if you have high end monitor and printer, plus professional reasons, by all means set everything to Adobe RGB.

- if you want to get into the nitty-gritty of it, go here:

http://www.cambridgein​colour.com …als/sRGB-AdobeRGB1998.htm (external link)

Canon : EOS R : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : RF-24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

rumplepigskin
THREAD ­ STARTER
189 posts
Joined May 2009

May 22, 2009 03:17 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

Ok... RGB it is... I really appreciate it guys...

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

May 22, 2009 03:31 |  #8

Great question. I have been wondering this myself. RGB for me too.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

John_T
Goldmember
3,098 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

May 22, 2009 03:42 |  #9

LSUConnMan wrote in post #7967858 (external link)
Always shoot RGB, then you can assign the narrower gamut profiles PP according to the medium the photo will be used for. You can always subtract later, but you can never add.

rumplepigskin wrote in post #7967935 (external link)
Ok... RGB it is... I really appreciate it guys...

professorman wrote in post #7967959 (external link)
Great question. I have been wondering this myself. RGB for me too.

:lol: ...gotta laugh.

sRGB, Adobe RGB and ProPhoto RGB are all different Red Green Blue gamuts (color spectrums). You have to be specific as to whether sRGB, Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB.

Canon : EOS R : 5DIV : 5DS R : 5DIII : 7DII : 40 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 35L : 85L : 100L IS Macro : 135L : 16-35L II : RF-24-105L IS : 70-200L II : 100-400L IS II : 1.4x & 2x TC III : 600EX-RT : 580EX : 430EX : G1XII : Markins Q10 & Q3T : Jobu Gimbal : Manfrotto Underware : etc...

davo1979
232 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 22, 2009 03:44 |  #10

Whats your camera m8 ? Put in it your signature...

Canon 40D Canon 7D Gripped...Canon 70-200 F4 L...Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS USM...Canon 50mm F1.8 MK II...Canon 430EX II... Lowpro Flipside 400 AW

http://picasaweb.googl​e.co.uk/cdavo1979 (external link)

foxbat
Goldmember
2,432 posts
Joined Jan 2005

May 22, 2009 05:39 |  #11

It should also be mentioned that the setting only makes a difference for JPEG shooters. RAW files have no color profile - one is assigned by you at the time you run it through the RAW converter. My own RAW workflow is:

- Use ACR to convert as 16 bit/Prophoto RGB into CS4.
- Perform all the workflow adjustments needed to make the image presentable.
- Save as 16-bit TIFF.

When it's time to convert for presentation (the web, for example):

- Open a copy of the TIFF
- Downsize/sharpen
- Convert to sRGB
- Save as JPEG

Andy Brown; South-east England. Canon, Sigma, Leica, Zeiss all on Canon DSLRs. My hacking blog (external link).

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 22, 2009 06:58 |  #12

We discussed this just a few days ago... people need to learn to use search.

The simple answer is, "If you need to ask, you should be shooting sRGB and output sRGB"

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

peter ­ nap
581 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 22, 2009 08:46 |  #13

John_T wrote in post #7967922 (external link)
CIE is a French commission that established the number of colors the human eye can distinguish.

- sRGB displays about 30% of those colors, as those about cover plus or minus what an average middle-lower price monitor and printer can display/print, and primarily because of bandwidth, what the Web uses.

- Adobe RGB displays about 50% of the CIE colors and is suitable for higher end monitors and printers that can display/print them. My Eizo CG241W monitors can display about 97% of Adobe RGB colors and my Epson P3800 printer can print more colors than Adobe RGB, so my camera is set to Adobe RGB as is my LR/PS CS4 workspace and CS4 manages color for my prints. I convert to sRGB for web.

-ProPhoto RGB represents more or less the spectrum of colors in your RAW files, but while you can set LR and PS to ProPhoto RGB, it is doubtful your monitor will display or your printer will print more than what you get with Adobe RGB.

In summary,

- if your monitor and printer are not high end, you don't have any professional impetus and you publish mostly to Web, sRGB will do you and make life simpler in a WYSIWYG sense.

- if you have high end monitor and printer, plus professional reasons, by all means set everything to Adobe RGB.

- if you want to get into the nitty-gritty of it, go here:

http://www.cambridgein​colour.com …als/sRGB-AdobeRGB1998.htm (external link)

Thank you John. That was a very GOOD explanation.

basroil, I just love people that take time to explain why they don't want to explain something. :confused:

johnnypark
32 posts
Joined May 2006

May 22, 2009 12:15 |  #14

foxbat wrote in post #7968161 (external link)
It should also be mentioned that the setting only makes a difference for JPEG shooters. RAW files have no color profile - one is assigned by you at the time you run it through the RAW converter. My own RAW workflow is:

- Use ACR to convert as 16 bit/Prophoto RGB into CS4.
- Perform all the workflow adjustments needed to make the image presentable.
- Save as 16-bit TIFF.

When it's time to convert for presentation (the web, for example):

- Open a copy of the TIFF
- Downsize/sharpen
- Convert to sRGB
- Save as JPEG

Foxbat, could I just ask you why you save your files as TIFF, instead of say PSD or EPS? I've been thinking about which format would be best for my pictures.

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 22, 2009 14:03 |  #15

johnnypark wrote in post #7969842 (external link)
Foxbat, could I just ask you why you save your files as TIFF, instead of say PSD or EPS? I've been thinking about which format would be best for my pictures.

Saving as TIFF is generally not a good idea unless it's a finished product, and even then there is no difference between tiff and psd (psd is a tiff with more flags and less choices on compression). I personally have just the RAW with an XMP file for editing settings, unless there's something else, where i keep a final output file (depends on where and what i want to output, generally just jpg, sometimes a tiff or psd). If it's a work in progess or something really important, i'll keep the psd. Problem is that even a single layer tiff or psd is still at least twice the size of the raw.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

sponsored links

2,143 views & 0 likes for this thread
adobe mode or sRGB
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.