Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 May 2009 (Sunday) 02:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lowepro Flipside 400 or Vertex 100?

Exposure101
555 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

May 24, 2009 02:49 |  #1

I'm looking for a backpack that can fit 5 lenses with 1-2 bodies and some accessories. It must also have a tripod holder, AW cover (or at least water resistant), and room for a 14" laptop. The Vertex looks perfect but I think it might be too squared/bulky for my liking. The Flipside 400, on the other hand, looks great and also has most of the things I'm looking for. I'm just wondering if you can fit a laptop in the other compartment of the flipside 400 and also which of those 2 bags would you go for?

sponsored links
Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 24, 2009 05:01 |  #2

Um, you posted this in the wrong forum ;) Anyway.. here's my reply.

If the camera gear bag isn't designed for a notebook, I would most definitely suggest against trying to slot one in, unless your notebook happens to have a very thick sleeve. Notebooks need to be protected by padding.

I happened to have a bag requirement similar to yours a month or two ago. The flipside 400 never came into my mind because it wasn't supposed to carry a notebook (a 13" Macbook unibody for me). It was between the Vertex 100 AW, 200 AW or Think Tank Photo Streetwalker Hard-Drive. I chose the latter. Why?

Firstly, I'm not an adventure photographer, nor a very frequent traveler since I'm a student. I seldom need the very very thick padding that the vertex series gives. Also, since I have a very small built (1.65m) the lighter the weight of the bag, the better (without compromise over padding, of course). Vertex 200 weighs like 3.6kg, versus the TTP SWHD's 1.7kg - more than twice! Definitely not fun when you have, like you said, 5 lenses 2 bodies and a notebook for on-location photoshoots. I liked the exterior materials of the SWHD better than the vertex, and it was a sleek black compared to an 'ugly' (imo) turqoise. The deal breaker for the vertex series was the fact that the notebook compartment was at the front of the bag, not right behind your back like the SWHD - making the bag very imbalanced if you only had minimal gear but a heavy notebook. I like the fact that the tripod holding straps are detachable (requires some thumb-force so that it's not easily undone), and the waist straps can be placed in the 'think-tank-belt' area, giving the bag a very clean profile so that straps don't get entangled in crowds or with vehicles.

One thing the vertex does better is have thicker padding for the shoulder straps.

Sure, the TT is more expensive, but it seems to be better thought out than the flipside 400. If you really want to go with a lowepro bag, check out the computrekker plus. If you're shooting in developed areas, you might also consider rolling bags.

Cheers,
Zexun

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

truman
64 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 24, 2009 05:12 as a reply to  @ Headshotzx's post |  #3

wouldn't it be better to have your laptop on the outer side as opposed to against your back being crushed by what you have in the bag???

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 24, 2009 05:27 |  #4

truman wrote in post #7978339 (external link)
wouldn't it be better to have your laptop on the outer side as opposed to against your back being crushed by what you have in the bag???

I wouldn't suppose your gear defies gravity and constantly pushes against your back, right? The padding around the notebook area is very thick :)

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 24, 2009 14:45 |  #5

Headshotzx wrote in post #7978323 (external link)
Um, you posted this in the wrong forum ;) Anyway.. here's my reply.

If the camera gear bag isn't designed for a notebook, I would most definitely suggest against trying to slot one in, unless your notebook happens to have a very thick sleeve. Notebooks need to be protected by padding.

I happened to have a bag requirement similar to yours a month or two ago. The flipside 400 never came into my mind because it wasn't supposed to carry a notebook (a 13" Macbook unibody for me). It was between the Vertex 100 AW, 200 AW or Think Tank Photo Streetwalker Hard-Drive. I chose the latter. Why?...

Cheers,
Zexun

Haha yeah I was half asleep when I made the thread and wasn't paying attention to which section. I actually woke up today and looked in the "accessories & storage" section and couldn't find my thread. :lol:

Anyhow, I was looking at the TT SWHD but thought it was a little bulky. It is also quite a bit more than what I want to spend on a bag. The main reason I was looking at the Flipside 400 is so that I can transport my gear and wear it when I'm traveling. I will only carry what I need for that day and leave the rest at the hotel. I suppose the Vertex would work the same way but it doesn't really have that "regular backpack" look to it. On the other hand it does have a designated laptop section.

I currently have a Flipside 200 as well as a laptop bag but I prefer to bring as little luggage as possible. I thought about getting a transport bag and then use the Flipside 200 for daily trips. I will not be carrying the laptop everyday. It's only there so I can transfer pictures over to make room on the memory cards.

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 25, 2009 10:08 |  #6

Exposure101 wrote in post #7980058 (external link)
Haha yeah I was half asleep when I made the thread and wasn't paying attention to which section. I actually woke up today and looked in the "accessories & storage" section and couldn't find my thread. :lol:

Anyhow, I was looking at the TT SWHD but thought it was a little bulky. It is also quite a bit more than what I want to spend on a bag. The main reason I was looking at the Flipside 400 is so that I can transport my gear and wear it when I'm traveling. I will only carry what I need for that day and leave the rest at the hotel. I suppose the Vertex would work the same way but it doesn't really have that "regular backpack" look to it. On the other hand it does have a designated laptop section.

I currently have a Flipside 200 as well as a laptop bag but I prefer to bring as little luggage as possible. I thought about getting a transport bag and then use the Flipside 200 for daily trips. I will not be carrying the laptop everyday. It's only there so I can transfer pictures over to make room on the memory cards.

5 lenses 2 bodies and a flash or two can fit into a flipside 200? Do flipside 200's come in XXXL sizes? :shock:

For your bring-lots-of-gear requirements without laptop.. if a 70-200 size lens is what you have, you're out of luck with the smaller bags. For thinktank, you'd want a streetwalker - normal or professional, way smaller than harddrive. Note that only the pro variant accepts gripped bodies. For lowepro, theres a whole lot of choice.

Cheers,
Zexun

sonofjesse
692 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 25, 2009 10:57 |  #7

I use the flipsdie 400 but I dont' require a laptop with me.....but its anice bag if you don't need a laptop.

FeedBack
Feedback 2
Feedback 3
Feedback 4
Feedback 5

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 25, 2009 12:19 |  #8

Headshotzx wrote in post #7983836 (external link)
5 lenses 2 bodies and a flash or two can fit into a flipside 200? Do flipside 200's come in XXXL sizes? :shock:

For your bring-lots-of-gear requirements without laptop.. if a 70-200 size lens is what you have, you're out of luck with the smaller bags. For thinktank, you'd want a streetwalker - normal or professional, way smaller than harddrive. Note that only the pro variant accepts gripped bodies. For lowepro, theres a whole lot of choice.

Cheers,
Zexun

No- I meant that I have a flipside 200 as well as a case for my laptop so I could bring them with me. However, that would mean more bags- laptop, camera gear, another camera bag for daily use, etc. Thus I'm looking to minimize the number of bags. I originally thought I could get a bag that could be used as a transport as well as a daily bag. However, I went to look at the Lowepro selection at a local store and THEY WERE ALL HUGE!! :confused: I think the fastpack 350 was the smallest of them all that could fit all the things I need to fit in there.

So now I think that the best way to go would be to get a transport bag and bring the flipside 200 along. Then when I get to my destination I will only take what I need for the day in the 200 and leave the rest in a safe or something. I've also looked into the TT bags but they're pretty pricey (at least for those that are laptop compatible). I really like the slim designs of the streetwalker bags though.

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 25, 2009 12:21 |  #9

sonofjesse wrote in post #7984068 (external link)
I use the flipsdie 400 but I dont' require a laptop with me.....but its anice bag if you don't need a laptop.

Yeah the flipside 400 looks good (although much bigger than I thought). I would have gone with it but after checking it out in person I don't think I can fit a laptop in the front compartment. So now it's between fastpack 350, slingshot 350, and the vertex 100.

sponsored links

4,903 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lowepro Flipside 400 or Vertex 100?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.