Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 May 2009 (Monday) 13:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

White BG - What to get to Achieve

johnboy00
201 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 30, 2009 22:59 |  #31

Here's my second attempt. With just two lights, no seamless paper, and no light meter, it can be really frustrating.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
jdaly
986 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 30, 2009 23:15 |  #32

johnboy00 wrote in post #8020269 (external link)
Here's my second attempt. With just two lights, no seamless paper, and no light meter, it can be really frustrating.

just two lights, no photoshop?

John

johnboy00
201 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 30, 2009 23:47 |  #33

The original was portrait orientation. I expanded it to landscape and did some quick touch up of the reflection at the bottom just to post here. Here's the original with no touch up, only cropped a little to remove non-white background (is only 5 ft wide). You can see that I missed a little bit at the top right corner.

HOSTED PHOTO

johnboy00
201 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 31, 2009 00:06 |  #34

And here's the full shot, just resized and sharpened a bit. My living room "studio" is a bit cramped in width, but I can back the camera up 20 feet or so on a diagonal. I have the background at 22.5 degrees to the camera, and the background light at 22.5 degrees to the background (45 to the camera). This seems to provide a more evenly lit tile board with just the one background light.

HOSTED PHOTO

[godfather]
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,736 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 31, 2009 04:25 |  #35
bannedPermanent ban

Can you share the lighting setup?

Elinchrom Studio Equipment Sale

Patiala (external link) City's Biggest Portal

Please contact me on aman.sarao@gmail.com (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 31, 2009 10:22 as a reply to  @ [godfather]'s post |  #36

HI John,

Looks good but you have to be real careful when those shadows are at the edge of your white background/floor. Unfortunately (or fortunately, as the case may be), it also forces you to improve your Photoshop skills to edit, remove and mask edges and hard shadow lines.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

johnboy00
201 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 31, 2009 12:43 |  #37

[godfather wrote:
='[godfather];8021150'​]Can you share the lighting setup?

Here it is quickly hand drawn and not exactly to scale:

HOSTED PHOTO

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,214 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

May 31, 2009 22:43 |  #38

Nice idea with the reflector/deflector... I wouldn't have thought of that.

Can I use a beauty dish for a similar effect since it is a similar reflector/deflector setup? I already have one, so it's just a matter of putting it on the background strobe and trying it out.

GEAR LIST

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 01, 2009 08:40 |  #39

Josh_30 wrote in post #8025822 (external link)
Nice idea with the reflector/deflector... I wouldn't have thought of that.

Can I use a beauty dish for a similar effect since it is a similar reflector/deflector setup? I already have one, so it's just a matter of putting it on the background strobe and trying it out.

Hi Josh,

Sorry to say that you won't get the coverage with the beauty dish. It's a larger modifier but the angle of coverage is not nearly as great as it is with the 135 degree reflector.
Depending on the size of the area you're trying to light you may be able to do it with other modifiers but in a small space I just haven't found anything nearly as functional as the wide angle reflector with deflector installed. It's a combination that's hard to beat.

Robert

yuriyo923
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 01, 2009 15:43 |  #40

Could you post a picture with your setup please?

TMR Design wrote in post #8027725 (external link)
Hi Josh,

Sorry to say that you won't get the coverage with the beauty dish. It's a larger modifier but the angle of coverage is not nearly as great as it is with the 135 degree reflector.
Depending on the size of the area you're trying to light you may be able to do it with other modifiers but in a small space I just haven't found anything nearly as functional as the wide angle reflector with deflector installed. It's a combination that's hard to beat.

Canon 5D2 ~ 40D + 17-50mm in da booth!
www.seattleboothrental​.com (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jun 01, 2009 20:30 |  #41

TMR Design wrote in post #7987006 (external link)
This was shot against 9 foot white seamless. I have one Elinchrom strobe on the left side and one on the right side. By using the 135 degree wide angle reflectors with silver deflectors installed it lets me get even coverage, left to right and top to bottom, at a distance of just under 4 feet from the background. The hot spot is enlarged and the wide angle allows me to work that close without gradation and without any wrap coming back from the background. It's a very efficient way to work in a small studio where you don't have 8 feet between subject and background. The subject was just forward of the lights at about 6 feet from the background. No post processing was done to the white background.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Robert

awesome information as always. im guessing its safe to assume that users of the ab lights probably cant use the 135 degree reflector you posted. ive got 34' x 16'..im thinking if we have the room,,revert to another method ???

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 02, 2009 12:25 |  #42

yuriyo923 wrote in post #8030005 (external link)
Could you post a picture with your setup please?

Sorry, no photo but here is an illustration of the setup.

HOSTED PHOTO

Robert

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 02, 2009 12:29 |  #43

slowdad wrote in post #8031656 (external link)
Robert

awesome information as always. im guessing its safe to assume that users of the ab lights probably cant use the 135 degree reflector you posted. ive got 34' x 16'..im thinking if we have the room,,revert to another method ???

HI Mike,

A while back, when I was using Alien Bees, I did discover that the Norman reflectors and accessories would fir the AB mount and just required the slightest bend in the spring clamps on the Bee. It did not damage or change compatibility with the Bees accessories but it did provide a tighter grip on the Norman reflectors. Norman makes a wide angle reflector that is not as wide as the Elinchrom and does not accept a deflector but I found it to be very useful for increasing coverage in many applications. One such application was when I was using a single strobe behind a large diffusion panel. It did increase the coverage and to some degree increased the size of the hot spot.

I don't think it is nearly as good a solution as what I found with the Elinchrom wide angle reflector and deflector but it definitely would help and allow you greater coverage at close distances.

Robert

iamdogdog
277 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 02, 2009 14:32 |  #44

TMR Design wrote in post #8035749 (external link)
Sorry, no photo but here is an illustration of the setup.

Wow, just 3 lights and no post production for pure white background for a full body shoot. Thanks again for sharing Robert. I am pretty sure this thread will increase the sales of those deflectors, before reading this thread, I don't even know what a "deflector" is :)

450D>60D>5Dc>6D
18-55>17-55>24-105
50 1.8>30 1.4>50 1.4
35L, 100L, 85 1.8, 40 2.8
POTN

yuriyo923
Goldmember
2,284 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 02, 2009 14:51 |  #45

iamdogdog wrote in post #8036612 (external link)
Wow, just 3 lights and no post production for pure white background for a full body shoot. Thanks again for sharing Robert. I am pretty sure this thread will increase the sales of those deflectors, before reading this thread, I don't even know what a "deflector" is :)

:rolleyes: thinking I can mod something like this for a flash?? A reflector and a deflector...

Canon 5D2 ~ 40D + 17-50mm in da booth!
www.seattleboothrental​.com (external link)

sponsored links

10,452 views & 0 likes for this thread
White BG - What to get to Achieve
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.