Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 May 2009 (Wednesday) 18:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Multi-focus points

scpictaker
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 27, 2009 18:07 |  #1

Can you select multiple focus points on a 50D? Some shots I take I could use at least one more focus pt. When you use auto select it will sometimes select all pts. however, using auto never gets the one I need so I rarely use auto anyways.

I think this is something Canon should look into if they don't have it yet.

My Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D MKIII l 7D MKII l 24-105L l 16-35 L II l Sigma 50 1.4 ART l 70-200 2.8 L II l 24-70L l EOS M l 2X III l Rok 14mm

sponsored links
beano
Goldmember
4,168 posts
Joined May 2006

May 27, 2009 18:13 |  #2

How can it focus on two points at the same time!?! I think you are looking for a miracle to be honest. ;)

Scott

eosphotomanoftennessee
268 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 27, 2009 18:23 |  #3

It usually focuses on the closest point and or highest contrast areas of the closest points. That's why they let you select which point to focus upon (user select). I guewss you might want to use live view and let it do face recon if you are doing portraits, otherwise use manual. the camera does have a hard time reading minds and guessing at your desired focus point when you put it on auto select.

Doug, osphotoman@yahoo.com (external link)
7D
;), Canon SX1 IS, Film Rebel for history
300L, 70-200L, 50 1.8, 28-105 EF, Sigma 18-50 EF-S
580Speedlite, AB Ring Flash, Excalibur 320, 2- Morris Optical Slaves
Adobe CS5 Extended, Wacom Graphics Tablet

scpictaker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 27, 2009 18:30 |  #4

I was taking photos of my wife at a local garden and I would use either a far left or right focus pt. and I really could have used the pt to above or below as well. Maybe I cant explain it well enough. I just dont get why you can't select 2, or 3, or say all pts.

Canon 5D MKIII l 7D MKII l 24-105L l 16-35 L II l Sigma 50 1.4 ART l 70-200 2.8 L II l 24-70L l EOS M l 2X III l Rok 14mm

beano
Goldmember
4,168 posts
Joined May 2006

May 27, 2009 18:34 |  #5

scpictaker wrote in post #8000361 (external link)
I just dont get why you can't select 2, or 3, or say all pts.

Because all these points will probably be different distances from the camera. It sounds like you are looking for more depth of field, you get this by making the aperture smaller. I was given a link today for a DOF calculator:

http://www.dofmaster.c​om/dofjs.html (external link)

Scott

scpictaker
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 27, 2009 18:37 |  #6

cool, I'll check it out. Thanks :)

dank ­ ink
383 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 27, 2009 19:57 |  #7

Yeah I don't see how a lens would be able to focus on different points and distances at the same time.

k.lee
395 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 27, 2009 20:01 |  #8

How does the camera focus on more than 1 point during auto-focusing then? Like the OP said, sometimes in auto more than 1 point flashes for AF-confirm. What's the AF module doing during something like that?

Kelvin
Gear list

My
Blog
external link / Flickrexternal link

Thalagyrt
D'OH. I need to wake up some more.
4,816 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 27, 2009 20:06 |  #9

dank ink wrote in post #8000802 (external link)
Yeah I don't see how a lens would be able to focus on different points and distances at the same time.

Tilt shift lens! Sortakindamaybe. Still one flat focal plane, but you can adjust it.

James

Marcos ­ Dantas
126 posts
Joined May 2009

May 27, 2009 20:09 |  #10

Your camera has A-DEEP mode, right? That's will cover it.
The downside is that the camera will choose the focus points for you also.

sorry for my broken english.

Duncan ­ Frenz
Purposely evaded the TF
1,553 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 27, 2009 20:09 |  #11

k.lee wrote in post #8000817 (external link)
How does the camera focus on more than 1 point during auto-focusing then? Like the OP said, sometimes in auto more than 1 point flashes for AF-confirm. What's the AF module doing during something like that?

It is confirming focus at points equidistant from the lens, so all these points will be in focus.

- Duncan
Gear_Mor
e than I need, Less than I want
Nonconformists are all alike.
I am not an expert, but I play one on the internet.:D

dank ­ ink
383 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 28, 2009 03:27 |  #12

k.lee wrote in post #8000817 (external link)

I would think it has to do with the aperture and how much is able to be relatively sharp. If it's a larger aperture and multiple AF lights flashing, I would think it's various points that are on the same focal plane/distance. That's just how I see it, I could be wrong though.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,275 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 28, 2009 06:11 as a reply to  @ dank ink's post |  #13

Yes, you are. Focusing is always done with the lens wide open. It's like said above, if more then one light up, then they all happen to be within focus.

A 50D can only use all (the camera pics the point/points to use) or one (manual selection). When the camera makes the choice, it will normally use the point(s) that see parts of the subject closest to you and where it finds anything to focus on.

The more advanced cameras (like 1D Mark III) allows you to expand focus to the neighboring points, but still not using all points. This can be useful if you are tracking something flying by, using Servo AF, at higher speeds. Keeping one certain point on the target may be difficult, and having them all enabled may confuse the camera into focusing on something un-related to what you are trying to catch on picture.

Anders

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 29, 2009 10:09 |  #14

A-Dep might do what you want. But IMO it sucks. DEP (external link) was way better.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,275 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 29, 2009 11:41 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #15

I don't understand why they can't make that DEP mode to work like it used to do? With my EOS camera for film, it's like A-DEP if I set the camera to select the focus points automatically, but like DEP if I select a point manually. It would only take that you could select the autofocus points in A-DEP mode to make that possible.

Anders

sponsored links

2,357 views & 0 likes for this thread
Multi-focus points
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.