Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 May 2009 (Thursday) 18:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Expensive Equipment Alone Does Not Make a Good Photographer

multiple*choices
49 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 28, 2009 18:53 |  #1

Wrote this article for my blog:
http://mcpactions.com …09/05/28/equipm​ent-alone/ (external link)

Would love your thoughts either here or in the comment section of the blog.

Thanks - Jodi

MCP
Photoshop Training (external link) | Photoshop Actions (external link) | MCP Blog (external link)

sponsored links
ryan_m
52 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 28, 2009 19:02 |  #2

I would agree and disagree to some extent. Its true that expensive camera equipment wont make you a better photographer, but it gives a person a level playing field, only skill will preveil. On the other hand, everyone has different incomes so if you can afford expensive equipment go right ahead.

Canon 450D + 24-70 2.8 stolen :( Replaced with 5D Mark II + 24-105

Keegan
268 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 28, 2009 19:06 |  #3

No offense... but I've heard it many times before. Try to write something that hasn't been preached so much before.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,152 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 29, 2009 06:42 |  #4

Keegan wrote in post #8007359 (external link)
No offense... but I've heard it many times before. Try to write something that hasn't been preached so much before.

Not to mention it's poorly-written. I got as far as the second sentence:

"Well I am hear to go on the record with my opinion. ..."

I am "hear"?

That mistake is probably about second-grade level.

I stopped reading at that point.

Website (external link) |

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 29, 2009 09:27 |  #5

Yes...wearing a pair of Air Jordan's won't make me play like MJ.
But isn't that common sense?

whitewolfphoto
47 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 29, 2009 09:33 |  #6

CannedHeat wrote in post #8010323 (external link)
Not to mention it's poorly-written. I got as far as the second sentence:

"Well I am hear to go on the record with my opinion. ..."

I am "hear"?

That mistake is probably about second-grade level.

I stopped reading at that point.

I know some people are going to think this comment is rude, BUT it is very appropriate. I gess I have a pet peave and find glareing speling errers offensive.:lol:

My life is going to the dogs...

Gear List- Canon 40D, 1D mkII, 580 exII, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200f2.8L IS, Canon 28-135 IS, Canon 70-300IS,

Balliolman
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 29, 2009 09:42 |  #7

To quote the OP in the article it was a "ramble", methinks that is not the apposite word ...

Balliolman
Stereoshooter
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/balliolman/ (external link)

Want to know more? Q. & A. with Balliolman: 3D/Stereo Photography https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=150661

DReb; Canon 50 f1.8; Canon 28-135 IS; Loreo LIAC(T); Flashtrax; Canon 17-40 L; Manfrotto 055 PRO B tripod; Canon 28mm 2.8; Whibal
Need: Primes; Would like: Canon 5D;

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,152 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 29, 2009 10:20 |  #8

whitewolfphoto wrote in post #8011038 (external link)
I know some people are going to think this comment is rude, BUT it is very appropriate. I gess I have a pet peave and find glareing speling errers offensive.:lol:

Not too menchun thee gramar airs (there shudda benna comma after "well"). I didn't even want to touch on that.

Actually, if perceived as rude it was not intended to be. It was intended to make a point. And that point is that blogs can hurt as well as help.

There are numerous discussions in various forums about the benefits of blogs. If a blog is poorly written with blatant grammatical errors as well as word misspellings and wrong usages, what kind of an image does that communicate to a potential customer?

Does being perceived as uneducated (and possible unintelligent) help or harm?

You are what you eat. If you're going to write a blog, do a good job of it.

strmrdr
Goldmember
1,853 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 29, 2009 10:28 |  #9

Do you have permission to use the cartoon?
Nothing cheeses me more than photogs who like to scream copyright then violating someones copyright.

From your site:
All MCP actions, borders and templates, free and purchased, are copyrighted. It is illegal to sell or share my designs and actions, in part or in full. You may use the actions and templates for personal and client work but may not use them to create new actions, borders or templates for the purpose of distributing for free or for money.

Did you pay to use the cartoon?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Rachel ­ B
I normally pay attention
1,139 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 29, 2009 20:26 |  #10

If you enjoy writing and are inspired to write keep it up. My spelling and grammar is bad, and even worse when I type when a thought is ripe in my head. If you are writing on a professional level or where photog customers may read it, I would get it read by some one else-I used to write paid articles for a Virginia website, I always got my husband to proof read before submitting them :)

40d, 30d, Canon 17-40L, 70-200 2.8 ISL, 60mm 2.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4, 18-55 Kit, 430exII 2xYN-460 II Flashes

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,152 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 29, 2009 20:46 |  #11

rachelsne wrote in post #8014382 (external link)
If you enjoy writing and are inspired to write keep it up. My spelling and grammar is bad, and even worse when I type when a thought is ripe in my head. If you are writing on a professional level or where photog customers may read it, I would get it read by some one else

What you're saying here basically reiterates and validates what others are saying and that is if you enjoy writing and do it for your own consumption, anything goes. But if your intention is for others to read it, produce a good product.

Concretin ­ Nik
266 posts
Joined May 2009

May 29, 2009 21:31 |  #12

strmrdr wrote in post #8011355 (external link)
Do you have permission to use the cartoon?
Nothing cheeses me more than photogs who like to scream copyright then violating someones copyright.

Did you pay to use the cartoon?

I'm sure he didn't... as there is no need...

From the WhattheDuck website...

What the Duck is a comic strip. Viewers are welcome to link, post, copy/paste, or save the strips to their own sites, blogs, forums, newsletters, etc.

Knowledge, Talent, Experience, Success. None of these excuse arrogance.

strmrdr
Goldmember
1,853 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 29, 2009 22:58 |  #13

Concretin Nik wrote in post #8014696 (external link)
I'm sure he didn't... as there is no need...

From the WhattheDuck website...

My bad and I apologize.
That certainly is an unusual policy these days.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 29, 2009 23:09 |  #14

multiple*choices wrote in post #8007296 (external link)
Wrote this article for my blog:
http://mcpactions.com …09/05/28/equipm​ent-alone/ (external link)

Would love your thoughts either here or in the comment section of the blog.

Thanks - Jodi

Dear Jodi

Thank you for the opportunity to review your actions. I will not be purchasing any at this time, but will keep you mind for the future, should my needs change.

Matt

or did I miss the real point behind this.....

This space for rent.

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 29, 2009 23:12 |  #15

Seems like every one in this thread wants to be the critic, but no real substance is given.

The OP asked for comments, but the comments given discredit POTN for any credible feedback as it is all useless and lacks substance.

Seems to me as though those offering feedback suffer the same as that which they are criticizing.

sponsored links

3,956 views & 0 likes for this thread
Expensive Equipment Alone Does Not Make a Good Photographer
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.