Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 31 May 2009 (Sunday) 22:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BIF

single_track
718 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 31, 2009 22:31 |  #1

Pretty tight crops with my 40d, 70-200 and 1.5x tele. How is the sharpness and IQ?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I always want C&C on my shots.
Gear list: 70d, 5d & 40d | 70-200L/f4 IS | 24-70L | 17-40L | Sigmalux | 17-85 IS | Opteka 6.5mm fisheye | 580exII
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/120400139@N03/ (external link)

tonydee
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 31, 2009 22:39 |  #2

single_track wrote in post #8025762 (external link)
Pretty tight crops with my 40d, 70-200 and 1.5x tele. How is the sharpness and IQ?

Nobody's going to know without 100% crops.

#1 is badly over-exposed. ISO 500 actually uses ISO 800 electronically - I'd have stuck to 400 to improve IQ. Top couple percent needs to be cropped, as it attracts the eye and draws the eye up and out of frame.

#2 is at ISO 1600 - one can imagine that the IQ may be an issue in the full sized image or a 100% crop, but perhaps not if you've exposed to the right and reduced in post.

Cheers, Tony

5D and too much glass. Mamiya 645E.
http://www.picasaweb.c​om/anthonypon (external link) recent work

single_track
THREAD ­ STARTER
718 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 02, 2009 06:02 as a reply to  @ tonydee's post |  #3

Thanks for input. I went with a higher ISO to better freeze motion. I should have gone slower.

In post, I increased exposure to try to correctly expose the bird, knowing the water would blow out. The extreme dynamic range when looking into the sun like this is very tough to cover. I will pull it back it.

I am probably not exposing to the right enough, again, right or wrong, in an attempt to best freeze motion.

I have a ton to learn, and a ton more practice needced. Thanks for your help.

Gear list: 70d, 5d & 40d | 70-200L/f4 IS | 24-70L | 17-40L | Sigmalux | 17-85 IS | Opteka 6.5mm fisheye | 580exII

single_track
THREAD ­ STARTER
718 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 02, 2009 06:03 as a reply to  @ single_track's post |  #4

Good point on the top percent crop too. I see that clearly now.

tonydee
Goldmember
2,009 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 02, 2009 06:31 |  #5

single_track wrote in post #8033946 (external link)
I went with a higher ISO to better freeze motion. I should have gone slower.

Well, I only suggested slower because it looks like you'd been very successful in freezing it. Many compromises required for these shots, and a touch of motion at wing tip is probably going to look quite nice still, so getting less noise is worth considering (though not necessarily the best bet).

[QUOTE=single_track;80​33946]In post, I increased exposure to try to correctly expose the bird, knowing the water would blow out. The extreme dynamic range when looking into the sun like this is very tough to cover. I will pull it back it.[QUOTE]

That's good news... means much or all of the water may not have been blown out to begin with. To do your work justice, you should learn to change exposure selectively. Exactly what you can do depends a lot on your software, but the simplest approaches supported by many packages are to "dodge" (brighten) with a feather-edged brush, or make a feather-edged selection and brighten inside it.

single_track wrote in post #8033946 (external link)
I am probably not exposing to the right enough, again, right or wrong, in an attempt to best freeze motion.

Hard to find time to check the histogram when a bird's winging it past you. No worries. And, as you say, shutter speed is a credible reason not to expose to the right anyway. Needs a bit of trial and error to see exactly what shutter speed's enough but not wasteful, based on distances, focal lengths, speed of flight and angle relative to line of sight etc.. You're clearly doing well.

Cheers, Tony

5D and too much glass. Mamiya 645E.
http://www.picasaweb.c​om/anthonypon (external link) recent work

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

591 views & 0 likes for this thread
BIF
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.